HELP!! NEW BEARDIE MOMMY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my first beardie almost a week ago. I'm just not sure about feeding/watering. She is about 6in long and I feed her about 3 times a day. I always have greens and carrots available for her at all time. I'm not really sure if she is eating them. It looks like she might be eating some of the greens. I also feed her about 5-6 crickets per feeding. Sometimes she finishes them off and sometimes she leaves one or two. I have been doing some research and I've read some things that say she should only have 3-5 crickets a feeding 2-3 times a day and this website where I see they can eat up to 100 a day and to let her eat as much as she wants in a 10-15min period. I just want to make sure I am taking care of her right. I also spray her crickets with a calcium spray her first feeding in the morning. I am at work and don't have it on hand to say what it is exactly. Is there anything else I should be doing? As for water, how much should she be drinking? I have a bowl of water in her tank at all times but I don't think she is drinking from it. I mist her about 3-4 times a day. Is that too much or not enough? Like I said I am just worried if she is getting all that she needs. I am already extremely attached to her. She is just soo adorable, I would hate for her to get sick because I am doing something wrong. Any advise would be great!!!

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
Baby beardies usually aren't attracted to eat vegetables yet, so don't worry if she isn't too interested. Young beardies need a diet of mostly protein rather than veggies, and as they get older, they will need more veggies. It's best to start getting her introduced to greens at a young age. Here is a great resource regarding what greens and veggies are ok to feed: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

As far as feeding, 2-3 times per day is fine and as many as she can eat in about 10-15 minutes. Many babies can easily go through 100 crickets a day. If she doesn't eat all the crickets, remove them from the tank so they don't annoy her while she sleeps.

For drinking, I would recommend misting like you are doing, but also bathing. Most dragons will not drink from a water dish right away, and I highly recommend the medicine dropper method.

I haven't been on the boards in quite a while, so the liquid calcium thing could have changed, but as far as I know, a trusted brand of vitamins has been Rep-Cal powder. I would dust crickets in Rep-Cal calcium everyday (pink jar) and Rep-Cal multivitamins on the weekends (blue jar).

I wouldn't be too worried, you seem to know what you're doing and you truly care for your dragon. As long as your lighting and heat setup is good too, she will live a very happy life with a loving owner. Good luck!

Erin

MaddyMatt2002

Original Poster
Thank you for responding! I feel soo much better now that things are cleared up!
As for the medicine dropper method for giving her water, how exactly would I go about that? Just fill a dropper up and drip some water on her mouth and she'll lick it up? I know I probably sound stupid, just want to make sure. LOL
Also how often should I put her in the bath and for how long?

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
For the dropper, you just fill it with water and hold it to her mouth, she should start licking. For the bath, just 10-15 minutes so the water doesn't get cold, or until she poops. Many beardies will poop in the bath. As for how often, 3-4 times a week would be fine if you are also going to giving her water through the dropper. Hope this helps!

Erin

MaddyMatt2002

Original Poster
Another quick question for you!
Phoenix only ate about 10 crickets today. I'm worried now. Is there something I can do? Maybe I can feed her something else? :dontknow:

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
If you are feeding her everyday, it is ok if she doesn't eat as much as usual for once. As long as she continues to eat, she will be fine. Variety is the key though, and if she seems to get tired of crickets, there are other great feeders out there. Since she is so little, soft-bodied worms would be good for her, if you want to try something new. Silkworms, hornworms, and butterworms are all great. Waxworms make good treats as well.

MaddyMatt2002

Original Poster
Thank you! I will definately be going out and getting her something else to eat. She is eating a bit more now, she will eat one cricket then wait 5 mins or a bit longer and eat another one. She ate 4-5 this morning she is showing more interest than she was the other day. She is very active today. She's had be laughing a few times at her antics. She's soo darn cute! :D

BossksDad

Some babies eat 100 crickets in a day? 50 crickets lasts me a week! I put about 6-7 in every morning and every evening, she doesn't always eat them all, but she loves her greens. That 100 Crickets a day has me worried, should my beardie be eating more? (shes about 4 months old)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom