Help! New beardie 6 weeks won't eat!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

burkieb0y

Hi All,

I have recently purchased my first ever bearded dragon, however my cousin has had one that i have looked after for a couple weeks whilst he was away, before I bought my dragon I did so much research and feel I have quite a good knowledge on them for a new owner.

However I purchased my dragon yesterday, when he got home I fed him 5 crickets which he ate all of them. It has been 11 hours since his last feed, I tried to feed him crickets this morning but he didn't touch them, so i took them out and again tried as soon as I got home from work, still he won't eat them, I am putting a tiny bit of calci dust for obvious reasons. Even when I dangle it in front of him he won't eat, I have also given him a bath to see if that helps but still nothing.

The temperature in the hot part hits 40 degrees celcius which I thought is perfect and cold side is around 35-37 celcius, can anyone give me advice or help? Would also appreciate any general help and top you could give me for future reference also, not just regarding feeding. Please help I'm worried about my dragon.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He probably has relocation stress. That can last for a week or 2. He just needs time to settle in :D

burkieb0y

Original Poster
destiny1998":tgse9efc said:
Hi. He probably has relocation stress. That can last for a week or 2. He just needs time to settle in :D

Thanks Destiny, would would you suggest I start to introduce him into crickets again? At the moment I just change his salad bowl daily with peppers included etc.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Yes. Babies need lots of protein. 80% protein and 20% salad. He should be fed 2x to 3x a day for as much as he'll eat in 10 mins.

burkieb0y

Original Poster
destiny1998":3tzervxs said:
Yes. Babies need lots of protein. 80% protein and 20% salad. He should be fed 2x to 3x a day for as much as he'll eat in 10 mins.

Sorry destiny I meant to say when, if he currently isn't eating them yet?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Burkie....just wanted to chime in that if your cool side is 35 -37C, that is much too hot. You'll want it around 27C on the cool side.

burkieb0y

Original Poster
AHBD":1anemech said:
Hi Burkie....just wanted to chime in that if your cool side is 35 -37C, that is much too hot. You'll want it around 27C on the cool side.

Do you have any tips how I can lower the temp? I have a log thats koine of like a cave for shade but would like the temp lower, I only have the two UVB lights and the basking light on, I need to keep the bask on so how would i make the other side cooler without affecting the basking side?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi again....if you've only had him for a few days, don't worry too much. Beardies often go through a period of relocation stress and won't eat much before they settle in. What size is your tank, and what brand + type of lights do you have ? Post that info here + someone can help you if you need adjustments. Also, try dripping some water on his nose for a drink, he may be very thirsty. Get a lower watt bulb to lower the temps.

burkieb0y

Original Poster
AHBD":18q6ksqy said:
Hi again....if you've only had him for a few days, don't worry too much. Beardies often go through a period of relocation stress and won't eat much before they settle in. What size is your tank, and what brand + type of lights do you have ? Post that info here + someone can help you if you need adjustments. Also, try dripping some water on his nose for a drink, he may be very thirsty. Get a lower watt bulb to lower the temps.

It's reptile flow lights and a 4ft vivarium, I will try and post a pic tomorrow, can't upload from my phone. I'm so worried, I take him out and handle him for. 15 mins to cool him down

As said ubove it looks like relocation stress. As long as you keep offering it to him he should eat. I wouldn't worry to much at the moment. Just keep tring. Best of luck!

When I first got my beardie, she didn't eat much of anything for the first 2-3 weeks. Have you tried offering the feeders and leaving the room?
I thought mine was sick since she had been going so long without eating until I put her in a separate container with about 12 crickets and left the room. When I came back, they were all gone. It turns out that she was just shy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cold3231
Top Bottom