HELP! NEED TO KNOW IF BEARDED DRAGON IS CARRYING EGGS OR NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

rextaylor

I really need some help with this. My Bearded Dragon has been scratching at the same spot of the cage for a few days. This started happening after I put in a second heat light to bring the temp up to where it needed to be (it got pretty cold where im at so it needed another heat light to keep the basking temp up). I believe it's a female dragon, she is 3 years old and only acted this way one other time, whichprior to getting a larger cage about a year ago. A breeder at the pet store i go to said that it sounds like she has infertile eggs, but i cant find evidence of that other then the behavior. If anyone could help with this it would be greatly appreciated. If im correct in the sex of the dragon, she's never laid a clutch before.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....first off, she might be digging due to the change of temp. in her tank [ they can try to " escape " any unpleasant change in the tank ] What are the temps. and how do you measure them ? Please post a pic of her as well as the tank set up. If you aren't sure of her sex, put her flat on a table and arch her tail up high in the air so it almost goes over her back. Snap a few pics of her rear end + post here using this info:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

Here's a way you might be able to sex her yourself :
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=209431

rextaylor

Original Poster
AHBD":28kp7gb0 said:
Hi there....first off, she might be digging due to the change of temp. in her tank [ they can try to " escape " any unpleasant change in the tank ] What are the temps. and how do you measure them ? Please post a pic of her as well as the tank set up. If you aren't sure of her sex, put her flat on a table and arch her tail up high in the air so it almost goes over her back. Snap a few pics of her rear end + post here using this info:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

Here's a way you might be able to sex her yourself :
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=209431

The temp of the basking spot is about 110-115 F, I just use a thermometer that i put in the cage right next to where the spot is. I'll post a picture as soon as possible.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great you will be posting pictures, that will help us out.

What type of thermometer is it, a round gauge (dial) type? If so, those can be off 20 degrees or more which could be making the basking spot too hot causing your beardie to be uncomfortable. Where exactly did you get the 110 to 115 reading? You can only get accurate readings from a temperature gun or digital with a long wire & probe end.

rextaylor

Original Poster
diamc":2kq0czit said:
Great you will be posting pictures, that will help us out.

What type of thermometer is it, a round gauge (dial) type? If so, those can be off 20 degrees or more which could be making the basking spot too hot causing your beardie to be uncomfortable. Where exactly did you get the 110 to 115 reading? You can only get accurate readings from a temperature gun or digital with a long wire & probe end.
I uploaded the pictures to the link i was given in the earlier comment
89912-6748552662.jpg
89912-2227342008.jpg
89912-1410715171.jpg
89912-3425693973.jpg
I need help with telling the sex, and if its a female if its showing signs of infertile eggs. If i need to retake any let me know.
Also apologies for the upside down thing, they didnt look like that on my PC. And the light thing I shut one off and let only one on, and tht did not help the problem.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
More pics of the rear end would have been good but it does look female. There are numerous reasons that she may be scratching, actually a LOT of dragons do so , male and female. If by chance she IS carrying eggs, it's not usually anything to worry about but you should set up a nice lay box for her. I'm not motivated enough to explain, so here's a youtube video to show how.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiN19isnaTRAhVD4IMKHdneDfYQtwIIMDAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGzbziEuInuc&usg=AFQjCNHYSD_TazjG9fh9vzCJOBvpnTQICw&sig2=2E5oxa0Yq-NhX5RygLXqMw

Two thing to change about this, use a sand + topsoil mix [ play sand and plain topsoil, nothing added ] both found at Lowe's/Home Depot or probably Walmart. Use those rather than vermiculite. Vermiculite is great for incubating the eggs but not needed for the actual laybox. Also, make it a bit deeper and start a nice tunnel for her to hide in.

rextaylor

Original Poster
AHBD":20brbzum said:
More pics of the rear end would have been good but it does look female. There are numerous reasons that she may be scratching, actually a LOT of dragons do so , male and female. If by chance she IS carrying eggs, it's not usually anything to worry about but you should set up a nice lay box for her. I'm not motivated enough to explain, so here's a youtube video to show how.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiN19isnaTRAhVD4IMKHdneDfYQtwIIMDAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGzbziEuInuc&usg=AFQjCNHYSD_TazjG9fh9vzCJOBvpnTQICw&sig2=2E5oxa0Yq-NhX5RygLXqMw

Two thing to change about this, use a sand + topsoil mix [ play sand and plain topsoil, nothing added ] both found at Lowe's/Home Depot or probably Walmart. Use those rather than vermiculite. Vermiculite is great for incubating the eggs but not needed for the actual laybox. Also, make it a bit deeper and start a nice tunnel for her to hide in.
Does she look like she is carrying eggs though? or is the scratching from something else.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Oftentimes it is hard to tell. If she is, she needs a lay box. She is counting on you for that. Try making one like AHBD explained and see what she does. However, beardies do dig for various reasons.
You could try GENTLY feeling around her abdomen, but a vet visit and x-ray is your best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom