Help My beardie smells burnt

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ok yes i do dust them with D3 calcium also she is shedding rn like she just started so do you thing that is why she smelled burnt?
No smelling burnt could be she got burned -- are there any marks on her? I would of thought you would of said if there were - we do see dragons getting burned from the basking bulb too close -- or the temps are too high -- that is why I am questioning the wattage -- she wont be able to absorb that calcium if the UVB is placed incorrectly -- that is why I keep asking about that as well

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the UVB is T5
ok so the T 5 needs to be directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches -- you dont want it any closer than the 12--- 7 months she needs calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding or day dusted on the insects -- the Vitamins ONCE per feeding 2 x per week -- how is she w/ eating her salads?
Shedding will not cause a burnt smell if shes not getting too close to the bulb - what is the distance to that basking bulb? Is the basking bulb on the screen the light is so bright I cant see where exactly it is

JamieKMann

Beardie name(s)
Haven't chosen one yet
I have a 6 month old bearded dragon. All of her light are up to date and I am upgrading to a 40 gal breeder today. Everything was fine until this morning she didn't want to come up and bask when I turned her lights and then I smelled her and she smelled burnt kinda like the spell of a bugzapper. Please help I really don't want to loose her!
I am SO awestruck by all the help and information you have all provided for the OP. Just the time alone as well as patience with us newbies is truly amazing. Definitely in the right place. ❤️

Beardie1

Original Poster
ok so the T 5 needs to be directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches -- you dont want it any closer than the 12--- 7 months she needs calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding or day dusted on the insects -- the Vitamins ONCE per feeding 2 x per week -- how is she w/ eating her salads?
Shedding will not cause a burnt smell if shes not getting too close to the bulb - what is the distance to that basking bulb? Is the basking bulb on the screen the light is so bright I cant see where exactly it is
the basking bulb is 6 inches above her

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They do have a peculiar smell when they shed.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Ohh i didn't see the last couple post. 6 inches is way close. Can you post better pics of her, she may actually be burned.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
she slept in her water dish last night!
Ok I would remove the water dish at night- what is the humidity in your tank? And 6 " is good for the basking bulb - so I am not sure why your getting a burnt smell - does she have any spots on her that are concerning to you? I would post a pic of her so we can take a look tho

Beardie1

Original Poster
Ok I would remove the water dish at night- what is the humidity in your tank? And 6 " is good for the basking bulb - so I am not sure why your getting a burnt smell - does she have any spots on her that are concerning to you? I would post a pic of her so we can take a look tho
could she being sleeping in it because she is shedding?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
could she being sleeping in it because she is shedding?
Could be I am not sure -- I would just remove that bowl at night - you do not want any accidents happening w/ that water dish - spray her in her tank take a soft baby tooth brush and gently brush the loose shed - it will come off and just do that when its crackly and hanging off of her -- please post a pic of her and the basking bulb

Beardie1

Original Poster
Could be I am not sure -- I would just remove that bowl at night - you do not want any accidents happening w/ that water dish - spray her in her tank take a soft baby tooth brush and gently brush the loose shed - it will come off and just do that when its crackly and hanging off of her -- please post a pic of her and the basking bulb

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom