Help My beardie smells burnt

Beardie1

I have a 6 month old bearded dragon. All of her light are up to date and I am upgrading to a 40 gal breeder today. Everything was fine until this morning she didn't want to come up and bask when I turned her lights and then I smelled her and she smelled burnt kinda like the spell of a bugzapper. Please help I really don't want to loose her!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a 6 month old bearded dragon. All of her light are up to date and I am upgrading to a 40 gal breeder today. Everything was fine until this morning she didn't want to come up and bask when I turned her lights and then I smelled her and she smelled burnt kinda like the spell of a bugzapper. Please help I really don't want to loose her!
Please post a pic of the dragon -- what are you using for a basking bulb wattage please and where is it? What size tank? How are you taking basking temps? You need a digital probe thermometer and the basking bulb needs to be at least 6" above her --

Beardie1

Original Poster
Please post a pic of the dragon -- what are you using for a basking bulb wattage please and where is it? What size tank? How are you taking basking temps? You need a digital probe thermometer and the basking bulb needs to be at least 6" above her --
IMG_20220710_113635.jpg

this is ecco. I use the zoomed brand for her basking bulb I think and I have tude UVB also do you know how I can test her for parasites without having to visit the vet?

Beardie1

Original Poster
View attachment 71782
this is ecco. I use the zoomed brand for her basking bulb I think and I have tude UVB also do you know how I can test her for parasites without having to visit the vet?
I dont have great camera quality and also she is in a 20gal long and hopefully I upgrade her to a 40 gal breeder today but I have the 40 breeder with me if you want a pic

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont have great camera quality and also she is in a 20gal long and hopefully I upgrade her to a 40 gal breeder today but I have the 40 breeder with me if you want a pic
Ok I see the one bulb and it looks long is it in a fixture? the basking bulb is how far from her? what wattage is the basking bub? Actually I see 2 long fixtures one looks to be in a fixture the other looks like its not-- take the probe on the thermometer and place on her basking spot check to see what that temp is where shes sitting-- and yes you can take a fecal into the vet and have them test it --- I would call them first ask if you can drop a fecal off for a bearded dragon to be tested for parasites -- ask the cost -- you want a fresh sample pick it up w/ a paper towel place in a zip loc bag -- go from there -- why do you think she has parasites ? Is she eating crickets as a main staple?

Beardie1

Original Poster
Ok I see the one bulb and it looks long is it in a fixture? the basking bulb is how far from her? what wattage is the basking bub? Actually I see 2 long fixtures one looks to be in a fixture the other looks like its not-- take the probe on the thermometer and place on her basking spot check to see what that temp is where shes sitting-- and yes you can take a fecal into the vet and have them test it --- I would call them first ask if you can drop a fecal off for a bearded dragon to be tested for parasites -- ask the cost -- you want a fresh sample pick it up w/ a paper towel place in a zip loc bag -- go from there -- why do you think she has parasites ? Is she eating crickets as a main staple?
the reason i think she has parasittes is first because of the smell and also she doesn't grow as much as I feel she should and also her poop is runier than it should and is kale good for her and yes I have only been giving her crickets and then kale cilantro parsley carrots and blueberries I don't give her many berries or carrots because they ar high in sugar

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the reason i think she has parasittes is first because of the smell and also she doesn't grow as much as I feel she should and also her poop is runier than it should and is kale good for her and yes I have only been giving her crickets and then kale cilantro parsley carrots and blueberries I don't give her many berries or carrots because they ar high in sugar
Ok sounds good we need to get your UVB placed properly -- please tell me are you using one UVB or two from the pic it looks like two--- please tell me brand and bulb of the UVB and the wattage of the basking bulb -- we need to get the basking surface temps and that UVB in check before we can tackle the parasite thing -- the only way to tell is to take a sample in but your temps and the UVB also play a role in runny stools along w/ diet -- and crickets are terrible for parasites they are a dirty feeder - I would look at getting her switched over to dubia roaches they are easier to keep they dont stink or escape and are better nutritional wise -- lets start w/ your lighting first --

Beardie1

Original Poster
Ok sounds good we need to get your UVB placed properly -- please tell me are you using one UVB or two from the pic it looks like two--- please tell me brand and bulb of the UVB and the wattage of the basking bulb -- we need to get the basking surface temps and that UVB in check before we can tackle the parasite thing -- the only way to tell is to take a sample in but your temps and the UVB also play a role in runny stools along w/ diet -- and crickets are terrible for parasites they are a dirty feeder - I would look at getting her switched over to dubia roaches they are easier to keep they dont stink or escape and are better nutritional wise -- lets start w/ your lighting first --
ok so my light is a uvb there is only one in the back and the basking bulb idk what wattage it is but its from zoomed I think and the bulb is a tube light. what is an easy way to keep dubias alive?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
her basking temp is 97
How old is she? If shes younger than 6 months you want her temps a little warmer like 105-110 are you getting these temps w/a digital probe thermometer? Please check your wattage on the basking bulb -- or look on your box-- the UVB it is imperative that its placed correctly and distance --- please look on the bulb look for brand and T 8 or a T 5 on the bottom of the writing---
best way to care for dubias is get a 10 gallon aquarium look for that on craigslist or FB marketplace - feed them dubia food and dubia dew you can also feed food you feed the dragon - squash raw shredded sweet potato fruit carrots - dont feed the dragon carrots if your feeding the roaches too much Vit A -- www.dubiaroaches.com order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes go by their chart-- you can order some hornworms from them they are a great hydrating worm - they grow fast so limit the amount you order you will need to feed them at least one every day -- I would order small ones and grow them out that way they will last longer -- are you dusting the insects? calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene ? We need to get the surface basking temps and UVB up to par --- this is critical

Beardie1

Original Poster
How old is she? If shes younger than 6 months you want her temps a little warmer like 105-110 are you getting these temps w/a digital probe thermometer? Please check your wattage on the basking bulb -- or look on your box-- the UVB it is imperative that its placed correctly and distance --- please look on the bulb look for brand and T 8 or a T 5 on the bottom of the writing---
best way to care for dubias is get a 10 gallon aquarium look for that on craigslist or FB marketplace - feed them dubia food and dubia dew you can also feed food you feed the dragon - squash raw shredded sweet potato fruit carrots - dont feed the dragon carrots if your feeding the roaches too much Vit A -- www.dubiaroaches.com order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes go by their chart-- you can order some hornworms from them they are a great hydrating worm - they grow fast so limit the amount you order you will need to feed them at least one every day -- I would order small ones and grow them out that way they will last longer -- are you dusting the insects? calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene ? We need to get the surface basking temps and UVB up to par --- this is critical
ok yes i do dust them with D3 calcium also she is shedding rn like she just started so do you thing that is why she smelled burnt?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom