Help me Understand my Beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike911

Ok I love the guy or girl not sure and I have had him almost a year. WOW!! I have really focused on spending time with him but I am so anxious around him and terrified of him getting hurt. I have just now started allowing him in a locked room and I follow right behind him making sure he doesn't get stuck somewhere. I am very anxious when he is out just in fear of him getting injured or lost. He lays on me and when they nestle in it freaks me out and I always jump. I don't intend to jump but I do. I am terrified of petty his beard in fear of him bitting me. I get very jumpy around him and I let him on my sholder for a second but when he moves it scares me. If he is perfectly still I am fine and comfortable but the minute he moves my heart races. He does pretty good with me and doesn't move much probablly because I have scared the crap out of him and litteraly I have a few times. I feel more comfortable now than I did at first. I am the only one in the family that handles him because I am scared to let the kids handle him in case he jumps out of there hands. I don't want him to get hurt. Can I let him run around the room? Does he want to bite me? I put him on the counter and feed him from my hand I can hold the worms and crickets now without screeching, but have I tought him that I am food? He bites at plastic and his paper towels in his cage and he has a strong mouth he rips through things and I don't want to get eaten. How do I overcome this fear. I talked to the pet store and they laugh because beardies are not violent and I can see that. Oh also this is very strange the other night I had the sickest feeling in my stomach that something was wrong. Thought a family member was injured so called my parents to check on my grandparents. When I went to his cage he didn't look good so I took him out and put some water in front of him with his pellets. I had been gone all day and no one filled his water. He gulped his water for at least 10 seconds something he never does and then he was fine. My bad feeling went away and I felt better. It was like he was telling me something was wrong and he needed me. I know sounds insane right but it is the truth. I feel like we have an intense bond and I know he knows I love him but I don't know how to handle him or what I can do without injuring him. I would love to have him in the room with me just chillin but I don't want to kill him either and when he runs towards me kinda freaks me out. Pet store said they have people bring in there beardies on there sholders in the summer I can't see that without him jumping off and freaking out. How do I get him to be my buddy and hang out with me. I don't want to just spend an hour with him a day I want to hang out with him when I can without sacrificing his safety. Now I have two Siberian Husky's and 2 cats so I know I can't just let him run wild but I have rooms where I can block the door and keep the animals out. By the way my cats lay by his tank and he seriously seems like he has bonded with them. Everytime they come up to the cage he goes up to them and hangs out by them. Really strange I know.

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Wow. What a conundrum! He won't bite you. And even if he did, I bet it wouldn't hurt. He seems to understand that you are his caregiver- the one from whom food and water appear. hehe.

Sounds like you need to be learn to be more comfortable with him, than he needs to be with you. Only thing I can suggest is to take it in baby steps. If you're afraid of "losing" him in a room, try covering hidey-holes (like under the bed) with pillows and blankets. The more he can explore and get around, the more comfortable he will be if you took him outside of the house someday, though of course that isn't suggested yet. Sit on the floor with him and let him run around freely in the closed room. Try a smaller room or more closed off area (bathroom maybe?) so he will become interested in exploring you.

Take him out about an hour before bed time. This way, he'll be pooped from a long day. He'll want to explore, but he'll tire out more quickly. Try wearing long sleeves and a to-the-neck-collared shirt. If he decides to climb you, you won't get scratched by his nails. I don't think he'll bite, but get ready for licking- they lick to "taste" their surroundings, and he may be interested in what you smell/taste like (NOT IN AN EATING WAY!). Just wash your hands before you handle him or take him out- they'll have a clean scent. He's not going to associate your hands with being food, but rather as the bringer of food. Beardies are smart. they know the difference.

Be brave! Your beardie wants to get to know you just as much as you want to get to know him (cheesy I know). He's just curious. He won't (and can't) eat you. Let us know how it goes!!!

LJean

Extreme Poster
I can't really add anything more to what the previous poster said. :)

Just try to relax, and hopefully with time you will be more comfortable with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom