help me properly set up this cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingo345

Hey so this is the starter kit i got from pet-co, i plan to get alot more decor once my beardie is a bit older and when it can actually have sand in there. I just need to know how to properly set up the lights to benefit my beardie most!

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Hi, congrats on the new beardie!

A couple of things you'll need to take a look at. Starter kits are not always the best thing for beardies. There's one big thing that most kits get wrong, the lighting. Coil and compact UVB lights do more harm than good. The other thing would be the temp/humidity gauges that come with kits have poor accuracy, and you can't move them around to quickly take temps in other areas of the cage.

Please take a look at a couple of really great movies made by some great dragon breeders. One is about setting up the environment, the other is about feeding. These are videos with an incredible amount to necessary information needed to keep your beardie healthy and happy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rVdhGsaUw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU-r0C5iZ8M

Keep us informed on how your little guy is doing!

dragontamer13

Hatchling Member
And just to throw it in, it is never a good idea to have sand in his/her tank. No matter the age, there is always the chance of impaction.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
I think dig boxes with sand is ok (for adults)...personally. I wouldn't use all sand substrate....too many things can go very wrong.

Just want to clarify dial temperature guages are ONLY inaccurate at high temperatures. They are reliable if used on the cool side of tank (temperatures under high 80s). Maybe it is just me but I like having one mounted on the cool side under uvb tube so I can tell at a glance when I walk by that he has a cool spot to retreat to. Every time I've checked with temp gun it has been accurate within 3 degrees on cool side.

Deviant

dragontamer13":3qzzxhfy said:
And just to throw it in, it is never a good idea to have sand in his/her tank. No matter the age, there is always the chance of impaction.

:banghead: I hate going into Petco where I live I know all of them use sand but the babies look soooo sad. There was one that was on the sand and SOOO skiny that is just :!: :?: :?: :!: me off I almost got it because of how bad it looked. But I don't have the room right now or the money for the vet bill. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom