Help Me 911 Please I can't get him in until tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, if it's still on low and you only have a pillow case over it, use a towel instead. You could use a heated rice sock but that will only hold heat for a couple of hrs.

spike911

Original Poster
Awww I hate that you bring that up. I was looking at his tank and it looks like they tried to put up a hammock and I thought that maybe he fell so for you to bring that up makes me wonder even more. I would hope they didn't do that.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry, just trying to cover all bases. :( Was there a hammock in his tank, is that why you suspect they might have tried to use one for him?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, it's after 1 am now, I waited for a response but have to get to bed now. Let me know how you make out. I think once he's asleep, he'll sleep well. Try to get him to the vet as soon as possible tomorrow, good luck.

spike911

Original Poster
Thank you for all of your help and sorry I was also helping my sister in law restore some computer stuff when I realized he was ill so I was trying to finish that up. I had a hammock for him but as he got bigger I had to take it down but I had it set up over some of his wood to allow a softer surface. I saw one of the suction cups stuck to the tank which made me wonder if they tried to put it up eventhough I gave specific instructions that it was not to be up. I don't think I will ever leave him to someone elses care again. I know they didn't mean harm but these guys are fragil with there care and it is better off to let people who know them to take care of him. I can't get the body temp down which concerns me so I will work on that and go to bed and get him in first thing in the morning. Thanks again for all of your help.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With a towel over the heat pad in the low setting, it should be ok unless you tried that and the temp didn't go down to 80 or 85. Good luck at the vets, talk to you tomorrow. Hopefully I was a little help to you. I have tomorrow off so will be checking in from time to time. I just remembered that you said he was running around in your bathroom so perhaps he didn't have an injury, will just have to see what the vet says.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello, I'm wondering how your beardie is doing? Were you able to get a vet appt?

spike911

Original Poster
Ok sorry it took so long for the update. She wanted to do x-rays and blood work but it would of been over 400 dollars which I don't have right now so she put him on a calcium subtrate because his one leg looks swollen which might of been from falling or being of low calcium. She said he looks healthy so he hasn't gone too long without eating and then she put him on an antibiotic because his breathing does seem stressed which I think is what is wrong. He has had one dose of each medicine and still hasn't eaten but he is arched up and has perked up some. She said the walnut sand I have is not good and said to put paper in but he eats paper and she said that was ok. I don't feed him in his cage and have never seen him eat the bedding. When I changed his bedding before he freaked out for 2 weeks so I am hessitant to make that change right now. I had tile in there before I got a bigger cage so I think once he gets better I will put tile down again. She said also that he needs bathed everyday even when healthy which I thought only once a week but she said hydration can't hurt him but I was told he was a desert lizard and to be carefull not to over water him. I feel more confused now than when I went in. I really think his cage got too cold at night and that is what caused this. I have had him a year and a half and this is the first time he has been sick other than when I first got him and his cage was not set up. It also bothered me because they had me leave him there and told me they had a tank set up and then left him in his box with the heat pad the whole time and his color was horrible which she said he was really pale. I felt like saying well duh you *****'s he needed to be in a tank not in the box I just used that to transport him. I can't believe I left him there. Then they told me getting the medication down him would be easy so I told them to show me what to do and they couldn't get the medication in him. She said most bearded dragons just open there mouth. Then she said only 25% protien and 75% vegies. He goes through stages and I give him what he wants and lately he has turned the vegies away so I don't know what to do. I thought they go back and forth and as long as he eats both I am ok. Does he not know what is good for him? I am way confused now.

spike911

Original Poster
I wasn't impressed and his color is now better that he is in his tank. Do they not realize that if you don't have him in UV lights they change to a horrible color. When I picked him up from the vet I have never seen his color look that bad. I use calcium dust and crickets and I think the beetles are also good for calcium I use the mealworms as a treat and when he sucks down water as they have more fat and liquids in them. She started acting like it was a typical person not taking appropriate care but then said he did look healthy so he must not have been ill for too long which if I wasn't properly feeding him don't you think he would have been sick a lot sooner than now. In March I will have had him for 2 years. I am so frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom