Help! Loss of appetite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Take the rock and get it under the basking light -- remove the hammock and lower the basking light - make sure you get a temp on that basking rock after doing this - tell me the temp after doing this - then if the basking temp is 95-110 after you do this watch his behavior - make sure the UVB is still the distance of 12-15 inches from his basking decor directly under it - then see if his eating improves
Karrie

RagnarokyRoad8

Original Poster
]
KarrieRee":333dkf7p said:
Take the rock and get it under the basking light -- remove the hammock and lower the basking light - make sure you get a temp on that basking rock after doing this - tell me the temp after doing this - then if the basking temp is 95-110 after you do this watch his behavior - make sure the UVB is still the distance of 12-15 inches from his basking decor directly under it - then see if his eating improves
Karrie
107629-751264142.jpg
Ok. So the rock ledge came in. I had to move the basking light a little further away (it was reading 125° on the ledge). Now the basking temp is staying at 100° give or take a little... He ate 1 dubia roach this morning. He looks at his dish as though hes curious, but doesnt approach it. He walks around his tank a little bit, but for the most part he spends the morning on the ledge and around mid afternoon goes under the ledge and stays there for the night.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is he using the wood under the UVB? You may haft to move the UVB over towards that ledge - give it a few days and see what he does - then let us know--
Karrie

RagnarokyRoad8

Original Poster
He does sometimes climb to the top of the stick, but doesnt stay there very long. Will the heat from the basking bulb hurt the uvb light? I'm afraid it will like, melt or break if I put it too close, that's really the only reason it's not pushed over more

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You might want to get a better decor piece- PetSmart sells some really good decor pieces for dragons- I thought it was too skinny you can leave the UVB where it is he will go to what light he needs but the stick are you talking about the one going up to the ledge? And basking temps on that ledge now are 100 or so? How far is the branch under your uvb ?
Karrie

RagnarokyRoad8

Original Poster
No, not the skinny one. That one is just to help him onto the ledge (Although sometimes he manages to nap on it). But the bigger branch stick thing is directly under the uvb (8 inches) And yes. The temp is around 100 on the ledge.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I would get him something better to get up.tonhis ledge I would be afraid of him falling off- how long has it been since he ate and does he eat veggies? How is he getting water?
Karrie

RagnarokyRoad8

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2oi52x1o said:
Ok I would get him something better to get up.tonhis ledge I would be afraid of him falling off- how long has it been since he ate and does he eat veggies? How is he getting water?
Karrie
I moved both the uvb light and the large stick closer to the ledge, and moved the small stick to the other side with the hammock. He has eaten one more dubia roach and thats it. I offer him salad every day, in a bowl and ive tried hand feeding him. He wont approach the bowl at all, and will only lick the papaya (or mango) depending on which i offer... (his salad is usually collard greens, a veggie such as squash or sometimes bell pepper, and a fruit like mango or papaya -all the fruits and veggies are peeled and cut into small pieces) i also got desperate and tried scrambled eggs(with no milk or anything else), which i read on here a lot of beardies like, he licked them once and then ignored them. for water, i put his bowl in about twice a week (if i keep it in the humidity gets too high), i mist his salads with both water and calcium, and i drip a bit on his nose, which he occasionally licks. I also give him baths every once in a while- but not often because he seems to dislike them.
So in summary. He has been eating about one roach every two or three days. (And his poop reflects that also... still has a white urate, but is rather small)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you get some better pics of him --- I would like Tracie and AHBD to look at him and help out here--
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He does look a little thin but he has fat pads and his eyes arent sunken in --- what about his poop? Does it smell like you need to leave the room smell ? Is it runny or does it have formation? I was thinking parasites that would cause them not to eat as well --- Tracie and AHBD are gonna haft to advise on this ---- I have flagged your post
Karrie

RagnarokyRoad8

Original Poster
KarrieRee":18icd448 said:
He does look a little thin but he has fat pads and his eyes arent sunken in --- what about his poop? Does it smell like you need to leave the room smell ? Is it runny or does it have formation? I was thinking parasites that would cause them not to eat as well --- Tracie and AHBD are gonna haft to advise on this ---- I have flagged your post
Karrie
I did weigh him, he weighs 302 grams and is 16 inches long. His poop is small, but doesnt have an overpowering odor, and the urate is white. It isnt runny either.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So has he started to eat now? Keep an eye on his weight--- I would weigh him once a week and see if hes losing --- did he just come out of brumation?
Karrie

RagnarokyRoad8

Original Poster
Hasnt eaten anything since i last said, and now hes staying jn the cool side of his tank, under the hammock, and not very active anymore. I will keep an eye on his weight, before all this he wasnt showing signs of brumation, was active, exploring, and eating well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just looking at your setup, everything appears to be correct. Since you are using a digital
probe to measure the temperatures, they should be accurate. Can you measure the ambient
temperatures to be sure they are not getting too hot?
How old is he? He has or has not brumated? They can brumate at young ages, really if they
are healthy enough.
You could consider getting a fecal done on him, if possible. You can get one done at a regular
vet, too. It doesn't necessarily need to be a reptile vet, but just don't let anyone medicate him
if they don't know what they are doing.
Using a T5 tube from Arcadia, it can be at a 10-12 inch distance from him, especially since it is
above the screen. As long as the basking bulb is beside the tube where he can get both at the
same time that should be fine. Maybe move the basking light either in front of or in back of the
tube bulb fixture so that the spectrum overlaps a little more, if you can.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom