HELP.... Living in China.. BABY dragon wont eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danhm87

I live in China and i bought a beardie off the internet 4 days ago. When i got him 2 days ago he ate right away like 6 roaches... seemed very hungry... but he has yet to seem interested in any food since then... i work so i leave him with roaches at home but i havnt noticed him eating any....

Temp 41.9 C in hot spot and 29c in cool side.....

Dubia roach nymphs

He has pooped 3 times since 2 days ago but still no feeding observed....

PLEASE give me adivce

HERE IS VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAOL79QG3bM&feature=youtu.be

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....he is new, plus he's tiny, so it's very common for them to go through relocation stress. You want to be sure he's hydrated, I see a spray bottle so since you have an open top tank you can spray a light stream directly [ but gently ] on his nose, this will encourage him to drink the droplets that run down his face. You don't want the tank to be wet, so just spray the baby daily, and a soak in lukewarm water every couple of days. You might also add a small climbing branch so he has at least one other option....beardies enjoy climbing. You don't want to put in a hide, because he may spend his time in there, but another thing to climb on would be good. Just give him some time and he should come around, and try dropping the roaches right near him, one or two at a time. Be sure that the roaches are actually smaller than the distance betwwen his eyes. If they grow larger before you can feed them off, you can actually cut them in half. By the way, what type of UVB bulb [ be specific ] do you have ? A Reptisun or Arcadia tube would work best in a long tank, to allow more light + exposure to the UVB. Hopefully he'll perk up soon.

Danhm87

Original Poster
AHBD":3oaomgws said:
Hi there....he is new, plus he's tiny, so it's very common for them to go through relocation stress. You want to be sure he's hydrated, I see a spray bottle so since you have an open top tank you can spray a light stream directly [ but gently ] on his nose, this will encourage him to drink the droplets that run down his face. You don't want the tank to be wet, so just spray the baby daily, and a soak in lukewarm water every couple of days. You might also add a small climbing branch so he has at least one other option....beardies enjoy climbing. You don't want to put in a hide, because he may spend his time in there, but another thing to climb on would be good. Just give him some time and he should come around, and try dropping the roaches right near him, one or two at a time. Be sure that the roaches are actually smaller than the distance betwwen his eyes. If they grow larger before you can feed them off, you can actually cut them in half. By the way, what type of UVB bulb [ be specific ] do you have ? A Reptisun or Arcadia tube would work best in a long tank, to allow more light + exposure to the UVB. Hopefully he'll perk up soon.

HEy, and thank you very much for your reply.... My bulb is a repisun 10.0 uvb bulb... as soon ans i get my next paycheck I will be buying the tube you recommended... also.. thank you for putting me at ease... because i have been so stressed i have sulked at work for two days. as far as the roaches go i have like 500 of them so he should be fine.... also where should the climb branch be? under the heat or in a neutral zone?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby doing today?
If you are using a compact/coil lights right now I would go ahead & turn the light off as they are known to cause an array of side effects.
That is great you will be getting the tube bulb instead, soon. Is your basking light a bright white light & not a colored light?
The basking branch should be to where he can climb up to bask directly under the heating lamp. The basking temperatures can be in a range from 35C to 42C with a cooler end of around 26C to 28C roughly so he can thermoregulate.

Sometimes they take a week or two in order to become adjusted to a new home, especially the very young ones.
Are the roaches tiny also that you are feeding him?

Tracie

Danhm87

Original Poster
Drache613":22cxweuk said:
Hello,

How is your baby doing today?
If you are using a compact/coil lights right now I would go ahead & turn the light off as they are known to cause an array of side effects.
That is great you will be getting the tube bulb instead, soon. Is your basking light a bright white light & not a colored light?
The basking branch should be to where he can climb up to bask directly under the heating lamp. The basking temperatures can be in a range from 35C to 42C with a cooler end of around 26C to 28C roughly so he can thermoregulate.

Sometimes they take a week or two in order to become adjusted to a new home, especially the very young ones.
Are the roaches tiny also that you are feeding him?

Tracie

well i woke up this morning and e was moving around a lot but when i dropped some roaches in the tank he seemed completely uninterested... he then pooped a big on on his basking rock so i cleaned it and then waited for a time and tried to offer more food... he refused and so i put him in a feeding box and he freaked out and so i let him back in the cage... at this point i almost want to hate him because he is stupid because loving him will mean i will be heartbroken when he dies

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know it's frustrating, but there's no reason to believe he's going to die. If you look in the feeding forum, there are plenty of threads just like yours. It's relocation stress, and it will be a little while but he will eventually settle in and eat. The fact that he freaked out in the new feeding bin shows that he has plenty of energy yet. :) Just leave him in the tank to eat rather than a separate bin. He should start in a few days or so. Just be patient. Sometimes if you smash a bug so the guts come out the back [ yes I know it's gross ! ] and rub it lightly on their nose they will take it, but even if that doesn't work don't worry, just give it time.

Danhm87

Original Poster
AHBD":22nr7fql said:
I know it's frustrating, but there's no reason to believe he's going to die. If you look in the feeding forum, there are plenty of threads just like yours. It's relocation stress, and it will be a little while but he will eventually settle in and eat. The fact that he freaked out in the new feeding bin shows that he has plenty of energy yet. :) Just leave him in the tank to eat rather than a separate bin. He should start in a few days or so. Just be patient. Sometimes if you smash a bug so the guts come out the back [ yes I know it's gross ! ] and rub it lightly on their nose they will take it, but even if that doesn't work don't worry, just give it time.

Thank you so much for your encouragement... I will try to keep a positive attitude. I have recently found out my Dad is very ill so i might be putting too many emotions into this whole thing... as far as smooshing the bug.. do I rub the guts on his noe and them hold it here for him or do I like glue it to his face with the guts and wait for him to eat it?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. It does cause a lot of extra fear + strain when a parent or relative or close friend is sick, and tips us over the edge emotionally sometimes. As for the bug, just rub it lightly to se if he'll eat it, but it would just fall off his face if you left it stuck. Remember to be patient and gentle.

Danhm87

Original Poster
AHBD":z0jw7v6v said:
I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. It does cause a lot of extra fear + strain when a parent or relative or close friend is sick, and tips us over the edge emotionally sometimes. As for the bug, just rub it lightly to se if he'll eat it, but it would just fall off his face if you left it stuck. Remember to be patient and gentle.

thank you so much guys... Tonight i came home and dropped 2 roaches in his tank... he scurried a good distance to catch one and then saw the other and scurried over but it stopped moving so she lost track of it... he then suddenly became aware of his vulnerability and looked up at me then dashed back to his hiding spot.... however my mealworms came in today and i found 3 freshly molted ones and put one in and he friggin flipped out and ran up and ate one... two and three.... i know they have a hard shell but they were the milky white and soft ones... i know they are high in fat but he hasnt eaten anything lately so i figured he could use a little fat.... anyways i surmise he was fed mealworms before due to his seeming recognition of his love for them... i also ordered a repisun 10.0 tube and fixture which should be here in 3 days or so.... thank you all so much and i will keep you posted

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good that he ate ! Try to stick with the roaches though, and don't give any mealies that aren't fresh shed. Beardies will get spoiled and hold out for worms, so just keep offering the dubia...if he passes one up because it's not moving, just drop in another. He'll come around soon. And be sure to use a light coating of calcium with D3 powder on all the bugs until he's eating a larger amount.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Try not to get discouraged. You are doing great with him.
I am sorry to hear about your father. I hope things get better. Use this time & emotions to try & bond with him right now.
At least he finally ate something that is progress.
It sounds like he has a lot of energy right now so it will just take him a bit to get adjusted, possibly up to a couple of weeks as he is very small.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Danhm87

Original Poster
AHBD":20b3ksu5 said:
That's good that he ate ! Try to stick with the roaches though, and don't give any mealies that aren't fresh shed. Beardies will get spoiled and hold out for worms, so just keep offering the dubia...if he passes one up because it's not moving, just drop in another. He'll come around soon. And be sure to use a light coating of calcium with D3 powder on all the bugs until he's eating a larger amount.

Sorry i wasn't more specific... i am in fact using D3 powder

Danhm87

Original Poster
AHBD":2zli8k1l said:

I gave him a soak today and he actually drank from the standing water... a real plus if he learns this trick... but he didnt touch any food all day..... not even a meal worm... last time I will be offering to worm per your advice.... He is also starting to get a little skinny.

Thank you all so much for your encouragement..... i honestly would fall to pieces if it wasnt for you guys and gals.

ibayiish

I'm pretty new and by no means any expect but I was having the same issue about the eating, I was feeding 3 times a day and Taz wasn't eating his crickets, my little guy was about 5 inches if that when I got him so he was tiny, my thumb was bigger than his body. I also was thinking the worst, he would die from starvation, I got rid of the crickets and I bought phoenix worms and he ate the first day, but after that again wasn't eating more than 4 a day. Finally before week 3 came around the corner he ate!! now he's eating like 40- 55 worms a day in 3 feedings.

I don't know how big yours is but I read that meal worms may be hard to digest if they are under a year old, which is why I bought the phoenix worms and also I found out that because phoenix worms have the soft bodies the rule about not feeding anything larger than the distance between their eyes doesn't count, so he's eaten medium worms, but I get the small now because the medium turn black quicker and he won't eat those for some reason!! Good luck and hopefully your little guy gets over this hump soon!!

Danhm87

Original Poster
ibayiish":et1wi8fy said:
I'm pretty new and by no means any expect but I was having the same issue about the eating, I was feeding 3 times a day and Taz wasn't eating his crickets, my little guy was about 5 inches if that when I got him so he was tiny, my thumb was bigger than his body. I also was thinking the worst, he would die from starvation, I got rid of the crickets and I bought phoenix worms and he ate the first day, but after that again wasn't eating more than 4 a day. Finally before week 3 came around the corner he ate!! now he's eating like 40- 55 worms a day in 3 feedings.

I don't know how big yours is but I read that meal worms may be hard to digest if they are under a year old, which is why I bought the phoenix worms and also I found out that because phoenix worms have the soft bodies the rule about not feeding anything larger than the distance between their eyes doesn't count, so he's eaten medium worms, but I get the small now because the medium turn black quicker and he won't eat those for some reason!! Good luck and hopefully your little guy gets over this hump soon!!

Thank you so much... it is day three now since he ate the worms and he has only eaten like 3 roaches.... I am starting to think the worst but you guy's continual encouragement is the only thing holding me together with him... Please pray if you have faith and if you dont wish him luck :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lea K
Top Bottom