help, juvie bitting her back toes???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmfv

started a couple hours ago? 2 are bleeding a little. she has attacked my other one a couple times does she like the taste of blood now? they both eat fine 3 times a day crickets, silkworms, salads. the other one is fine... Is there anything i can do. i give vitamins every day, both have UVB lighting and hot enough basking. i take them both out every day for feeding....

redflea13

Did you see her bite herself? I would seperate the 2 so that they don't attack each other. Some are just more agressive than others. I have know idea why she would bite herself unless it is from stress.

dmfv

Original Poster
they have been seperate for a while, i saw her twice last last hours bitting herself. i took her out and cleaned it with a damp towel its not bleeding too much now but she is breathing heavy? is polysporin ok to put on? even a bandaid :shock: should i turn off the lights and put a blanket over so she sleeps? also for blood loss, how much is too much lost blood?

thanks for any help you can give..

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We need to figure out why she is biting herself.
What type & brand of UVB light are you using, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light? Do you use calcium supplementation as well? Babies need calcium 5 times or so per week because they are growing so quickly. Usually, there are only a couple of reasons why they bite themselves & they are that she could be retaining some shed & it is constricting her toes, or she is calcium deficient or having another type of nutrient deficiency.
The neosporin is fine to use. Keep that area cleaned off with diluted betadine & then use the neosporin on it a couple of times per day. If you have loose substrate, take that out & replace it with paper towels so it wont get infected.
I would not worry too much about a tiny portion of blood loss, unless it is continually bleeding.
How is she doing this evening?

Tracie

dmfv

Original Poster
i have ReptiSun 10.0 High Output plus basking bulb 12 hours a day on a timer, i give d3 with crickets once a day 7 days a week with silkworms, salad as said above. the only thing i can think of is it was stressed out but my other one is in the same visinity and it is fine? a couple days ago she did jump off me on to the floor no more than a 2 foor drop

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
It could be stress but it could also be things like retained shed,mites or he could be low in calcium.It looks like you are giving the correct supplements though.When was his last shed?How long have they been seperated?

dmfv

Original Poster
a couple days a go she shed a little, nothing i noticed on her feet. they've been seperated more than a month now, they are on paper towels since i got them and i only have a rock in the tank with her.. there is no more bleeding and she stopped attacking herself about 3 hours ago..

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Well it may be a good idea o get her into the vet for a lookover and some bloodwork to check her calcium levels.as for now yes put some neosporin/polysporin on her feet.I would give her a bath first though just to make sure its all cleaned out.You can wrap them but that might make her go after them even more so I would watch very carefully.Is you reptisun a linear or a coil/compact?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How close is your Reptisun 10?
Good that she has stopped biting herself right now. I think it could be retained shed, if she just shed on her feet just recently.
Maybe do some extra baths & soak her well to see if there is any skin that comes off.
Great that they have been separated for awhile now.
If you can, a bloodtest would be a good idea just to make sure her calcium levels are good.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom