HELP....how can I get humidity down

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappy1264

Original Poster
Thank you. I did just pick up a CHE. Yeah, will look into get a small room size dehumidifier, as summer can get pretty sticky here! lol 91...our high so far I believe one day we maybe hit 80...lol Woke up one morning, it was 28 degrees! Its crazy.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
With the right temperatures, they won't get sick, especially if this is only seasonal and will go down as summer comes along (obviously you know your situation better than I do).

I do know that numerous beardie breeders keep their animals outdoors here year round, with seasonal humidity spikes and all. I also know of numerous keepers in areas such as southern Florida, where humidity is almost constantly at the level you describe. The beardies are all fine!

Lastly, check out this report of average humidity levels in Australia at 9 am and 3 pm. Annually, yes, levels are lower, but go into more detail... Seasonally, they do experience highs in humidity that average 60 to 80% at times, especially when it's raining (if you check the actual humidity now in realtime (google), you can see it's between 80 and 100% across the entire continent due to rain). If your humidity is usually in the lower ranges, and spikes seasonally, I'd call that ideal - that'd very closely copy their natural state.
http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/ncc/climate_averages/relative-humidity/index.jsp

Does your humidity drop over the course of the day, so that it's lower by the time you turn the lights off? During summer/winter months, does your humidity drop? That would pretty closely mimic the phenomenon taking place in Oz, with high night time humidity during certain parts of the year and consistent low humidity during full summer and full winter.

All I'm trying to point out is that temporary spikes in humidity are really not cause for concern. :)

-Jen

pappy1264

Original Poster
I have only had her a couple of months now, so not sure how the humidity spikes are or will be, but this morning they actually said humidity has been down around here, so now I am really confused. But I need help, I bought a CHE, but can anyone tell me, I have a metal lamp I bought for my chickens when they needed a heat lamp. It is for up to 250 watt bulb. The inside socket is porcelain (it looks it), can I use that with the CHE bulb for at night? Her temps got pretty chilled again last night (it has been pretty cold here at night again, which is not normal!) Thank you. Yesterday during the day, the lowest the humidity level was 59, this morning, it is 63, after having lights on for 2 hours (I was not up earlier, daughter turned them on so not sure what it was then.) Her basking spot is 100, cool side is 78.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
I'm starting to wonder if your gauge is broken? Or if there's something under the substrate? Sorry, don't remember if you mentioned what you're using for substrate. I have a digital stick on humidity gauge and also a digital indoor/outdoor heat/humidity gauge. We live close enough where our temps are probably similar and while the humidity has crept up quite a bit at times, I don't get the readings you are.

I know my indoor/outdoor digital is way off since I bought another JUST for humidity. Maybe that's the real issue here. I got mine at pet smart for around $7 and it works great. I just use that and my temp gun now and things have gone much better. Also, after a serious cleaning of his viv I realized there was definitely some moisture stuck in his reptile carpet.

Hope you get it under control :( I feel so bad that you're having to worry so much. I hate that part!

pappy1264

Original Poster
Using paper towels, changed out every day, so nothing under there. It is a brand new Accu-rite indoor/outdoor with probe, and I know the temps are right. What kind did you get for the humidity? She still isn't going the bathroom either. I am loosing my mind with her. I am doing everything I have read here to do for her, but nothing seems to be right.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
I'm so sorry :( as soon as I get home I'll post the brand name and everything. Petsmart had a huge sale this weekend so we went a little crazy. I've got the receipt so I'll check it.

pappy1264

Original Poster
Yes, I bathe her every day, rub her tummy. I have been giving a small amount of apple sauce to try to get her pooping more. She eats greens and 6-8 superworms every other day. She isn't a great eater, either. She supposedly had MBD. She goes poop about 1 every 1.5 weeks, only in the tub. Today she doesn't really want to eat either (only would take the apple sauce.) I dust her bugs3-4 times a week, as well. Her basking light spot is 100-105, cool side is 78-80.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Ooooh...I'm so sorry. I didn't know. I even went back and read the whole thread over. I didn't know she had MBD or anything like that. How old is she? My little guy is only 9 weeks, so everything I know is pretty much having to do with babies. Maybe you should start a thread about the pooping and such if you are concerned with it in the Health section? I'm just thinking that this thread has really just been about the humidity levels but if your girl is having other health related issues (pooping, eating, etc.) I'd go ahead and ask in other forums.

I try to help whenever I can but even last night I freaked out and posted in health (included a video) about Batman's breathing...turned out he was just shedding his nostrils...they can make us crazy! If there's one thing I've learned here, there are a lot of experienced people who want to help. If something doesn't seem right, I just ask. Can't hurt...

pappy1264

Original Poster
I do have a thread going (have since I got her, pooping has been an issue.) I did get her to finally poop (gave her a second bath today). She doesn't really move around very much, and I think that is part of her issue, too. I know she felt better after that. I got her to take 2 cc's of applesauce earlier, and I think that helped her 'go'. She just ate 8 superworms for my daughter, too. Didn't want her greens, though. Maybe will try again later. She is my first beardie, but she has some issues. I was told she had MBD but from speaking to others, she looks very good for supposedly having had it. I may see if I can get her to a herp vet and see what they think, see if they can get a sample to test for parasites (since only time she ever has pooped has been in the tub.) I was told she is 3-4 yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cinnabunn
Top Bottom