Help! Gravid Female Not Digging or Eating x4 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkeysmoo

Help please! My gravid female (Peanut) hasn't eaten for 4 days and refuses to lay her eggs. This is her first clutch ever. She used to dig all day everyday in a little lay box in her cage but when we heard it was to small and she stopped digging we took it out and made her a much bigger one. A friend at the local reptile store told us to put her in the lay box and leave it in a dark place and shes been there for over a day and a half and she hasn't even tried digging anywhere. I tried feeding her today and gave her a nice warm bath, I could feel eggs all over in her belly. My girlfriend and I are getting real worried and are running out of ideas. Thanks for reading, Ryan

JubJubLizard

Hatchling Member
Monkeysmoo":f36ec said:
Help please! My gravid female (Peanut) hasn't eaten for 4 days and refuses to lay her eggs. This is her first clutch ever. She used to dig all day everyday in a little lay box in her cage but when we heard it was to small and she stopped digging we took it out and made her a much bigger one. A friend at the local reptile store told us to put her in the lay box and leave it in a dark place and shes been there for over a day and a half and she hasn't even tried digging anywhere. I tried feeding her today and gave her a nice warm bath, I could feel eggs all over in her belly. My girlfriend and I are getting real worried and are running out of ideas. Thanks for reading, Ryan

Hey sorry to hear about Peanut.......I don't know how much help I will be but I will let you know how it worked out for us in the end. When we knew for sure that Jub-Jub was pregnant she never did dig she just scratched at the glass relentlessly and paced relentlessly also. So we tried everything that everyone had told us to do. First the seperate lay box which she did zero in, no digging, scratching and so on. Just layed in there like why are you doing this to me. Then we had a small lay box in her tank which she did nothing with. Then we tried an upside down box with a door cut out for her and she did nothing with that either. All the while we were worried about her becoming egg bound. She came out 2 times a day and took long walks around the house. Finally in the end we just build up the end of her tank with deep deep moistened sand. The other half of her tank we just left as usual. We started a dig out for her. Just dug and started a cave type area and she finally took it from there. The first day she dug, second day dug and dug and dug the problem we had is everytime she got it going she would climb on top and cave it in :( Then we just ran 2 small pieces of wood across the tank as a support (had a pile of sand under each end so it wouldn't collapse) then we covered the top of the boards with sand and then just sort of built up the sand sorta making an entrance so it seemed like a cave and inside we put a lot of sand for her to work with. That did it for her, her own tank and comforts, a dark cave like area and it was no longer collapsing. I know everyone said to do it outside the tank, and that when the time was right it would happen but for us/her it just didn't work.Also Jub wasn't eating either, we just kept her hydrated by bath and water off of our fingers. After she laid, we gave her a nice bath and then she ate like a pig ha ha and has been eating like that since. Making up for lost time! I guess they are just like people certain comforts. Her eggs are two weeks old tomorrow so far so good :) This is her first clutch so I'm in no way an expert but just thought I would share what worked for us in the end. Good luck with Peanut

Monkeysmoo

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your speedy reply, I'm gonna go right now and try and make her a little cave to go in. I feel a lot better reading that someone else has had issues like mine. I'll keep thing posted later tonight to see if she dug at all. Thanks again!

Monkeysmoo

Original Poster
Relief!!!! I walked in to turn off the light for her to go to bed and I saw she had dug a hole in the corner and laid her eggs! It took forever to dig them out because she packed them in so tightly. We now have 27 eggs sitting in our incubator at 84 degrees and between 80-85% humidity. Momma got a nice long bath and we tried to feed her but she didn't eat much. I tried candling the eggs but I have no idea what to look for so we just put them all in and will hope at least a couple are fertile. Tomorrow I'm gonna give her lot's of love and care and crickets, maybe even a pinkie or two...

JubJubLizard

Hatchling Member
Monkeysmoo":dc1ea said:
Relief!!!! I walked in to turn off the light for her to go to bed and I saw she had dug a hole in the corner and laid her eggs! It took forever to dig them out because she packed them in so tightly. We now have 27 eggs sitting in our incubator at 84 degrees and between 80-85% humidity. Momma got a nice long bath and we tried to feed her but she didn't eat much. I tried candling the eggs but I have no idea what to look for so we just put them all in and will hope at least a couple are fertile. Tomorrow I'm gonna give her lot's of love and care and crickets, maybe even a pinkie or two...

That is great! I know what a relief it was for us. Wow 27, ours were packed in tight as well. Slowly digging to get them out. I bet she eats great for you today. Thanks for sharing and I wish you the best of luck. We are only 2 weeks apart on eggs from you so will travel this journey together ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom