Help gout or MBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Why did the vet not think it was gout? I would definitely wait to see what the blood test results say. Gout is tricky & most times it goes undiagnosed unfortunately. There isn't always uric acid crystallization at the points of swelling or signs of it on x-rays, either. The crystals can be sodium based or calcium based & sodium based most times wont show on x-rays.
If possible, I would like to see the blood test results also if that's ok!
Which meds for pain & inflammation did they give him?
The Reptisun 10 T8 is a good bulb, but the T5 is a higher UVB output.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

LeafGirl

Original Poster
He did not tell me what meds he gave him but he definitely seems more comfortable when I got home and even ate. Before he would not eat anything. The vet said something about gout is more in the joints and that his swelling was not in the joint but he was willing to do blood work. I told him I got the advice online to do the blood work. He said if it showed gout we will start treatment right away but he did not want to start anything till we know for sure. Apparently the vet himself has gout.

Drache613":3hl2gufm said:
Hello,

Why did the vet not think it was gout? I would definitely wait to see what the blood test results say. Gout is tricky & most times it goes undiagnosed unfortunately. There isn't always uric acid crystallization at the points of swelling or signs of it on x-rays, either. The crystals can be sodium based or calcium based & sodium based most times wont show on x-rays.
If possible, I would like to see the blood test results also if that's ok!
Which meds for pain & inflammation did they give him?
The Reptisun 10 T8 is a good bulb, but the T5 is a higher UVB output.

Tracie

LeafGirl

Original Poster
Just got the call from the vet and they said all the blood work was normal. So at first they said we could ether put him on a anibiotic and see what happens or treat it as gout and see what happens. But then when I told them that the pain meds seemed to help yesterday now they are saying to just put him on the pain meds with the anti-inflammatory. Asked for copy of blood work which they said would have to be mailed but if I am going to pick up the pain meds I will just pick up the blood work results too. I am a bit upset that they are not finding a definite answer as to what is wrong with him.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes I'd be upset with that too, as there is definitely a reason that he is all swollen, that doesn't just happen for no reason, and simply putting him on pain meds is only going to allow the cause to get worse. That's not good enough!

Please pick up the test results and post them for Tracie, and I'm sure Tracie will agree that yes gout resides in the joints, but the swelling spreads outwardly into the limbs...

My opinion is to start him on Allopurinol and see if there is marked improvement while on it. It's not at all expensive and will surely at the very least rule gout out. It's unfortunately very common in Beardies and presents just like this too...Uhg.

When you go pick up the pain meds and get a copy of the blood work results, please ask them what the pain meds are, and ask them what they suspect is causing him to swell up and be in pain if not gout. Something is causing this and don't treating the symptoms by masking his pain will only allow him to deteriorate.

LeafGirl

Original Poster
I totally agree with you and is pretty much what I just said to them about just giving pain meds. So I am picking it up tomorrow morning the meds and they said to give it two days to see how he is because I expressed my concern that it is all nice and well we are making him comfortable but what are we doing to fix it. So I agreed to pick it up along with a copy of the blood work so I can post here. They are giving me meloxicam which they said is also a anti inflammatory. I honestly wish I had gone to a different vet, I use this one for my turtles but I can not offord to get a second opinion, this has already cost almost $400. But on the bright side it sounds like if I want to treat him with something they are willing to ok it. So when I get the blood work posted I hope one of you can help me to pick a treatment. I really appreciate all the help on here!!

EllenD":3qhnbds9 said:
Yes I'd be upset with that too, as there is definitely a reason that he is all swollen, that doesn't just happen for no reason, and simply putting him on pain meds is only going to allow the cause to get worse. That's not good enough!

Please pick up the test results and post them for Tracie, and I'm sure Tracie will agree that yes gout resides in the joints, but the swelling spreads outwardly into the limbs...

My opinion is to start him on Allopurinol and see if there is marked improvement while on it. It's not at all expensive and will surely at the very least rule gout out. It's unfortunately very common in Beardies and presents just like this too...Uhg.

When you go pick up the pain meds and get a copy of the blood work results, please ask them what the pain meds are, and ask them what they suspect is causing him to swell up and be in pain if not gout. Something is causing this and don't treating the symptoms by masking his pain will only allow him to deteriorate.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, so they are just going to prescribe meloxicam for pain, swelling & an anti-inflammatory.
I will PM you my email so you can send me the blood test results. Sometimes a vets definition of normal parameters for uric acid are too high, really & they miss an opportunity for early treatment.
How is he doing today?
I agree though, it is very frustrating when there are no answers. They don't just swell up for no reason, absolutely not.
I hope he is feeling better soon.

Tracie

LeafGirl

Original Poster
I messaged you back Traci .....

I will be picking up blood work results shortly. I also think I might tell them I only want two doeses of pain meds and to go ahead and give me the meds for gout and just start treating him for that. In the mean time will will post blood work here as well. I am not feeling comfortable with just giving him pain meds.

His foot seems to be bothering him again so the pain meds they gave him has definitely wore off. He s still eating and pooping fine but definitely less active. Been taking him out every morning to get some sunshine.

LeafGirl

Original Poster
So I just called vet to ask them to please give me meds to start treating gout and I was given an attitude after they told me the best thing was to give him an anti inflammatory right now. I got upset and told them that is not treating anything and it did not take the swelling down at all last time. So the lady gave me an attitude and said I will put the technition in the phone to explain it to you. I said ok and then they just left me on hold for a long time that I had to finally hang up. So now on my way over now. What would be a high uric acid level??? I hoping I can check it on the blood work before I leave the vet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry, I just now sent a PM with my email, I guess I had forgotten to include it.
The uric acid levels are not bad, but, it is enough to start causing some swelling issues & enough to warrant some treatment at least for now.
I did notice also that the calcium is very high. You are sure he is male & not female? Just checking to be sure he is not female & developing follicles/eggs....
The high calcium levels could also be due to his bones starting to leach some to help maintain his blood serum levels, too. This happens when they aren't absorbing & utilizing calcium. Their body overcompensates for it.
You are going to be getting the Reptisun 10 tube bulb, correct?

How is he doing today?
Tracie

LeafGirl

Original Poster
The vet had initially made me increase the calcium because he said that the bone was light in the front of legs. I had initially thought it was a girl but had them sex him and they did it with a catheter and told me it was a boy. I have always used the Reptie 10 bulb. So you think I should treat as gout??

Drache613":38m7hnwt said:
Hello,

Sorry, I just now sent a PM with my email, I guess I had forgotten to include it.
The uric acid levels are not bad, but, it is enough to start causing some swelling issues & enough to warrant some treatment at least for now.
I did notice also that the calcium is very high. You are sure he is male & not female? Just checking to be sure he is not female & developing follicles/eggs....
The high calcium levels could also be due to his bones starting to leach some to help maintain his blood serum levels, too. This happens when they aren't absorbing & utilizing calcium. Their body overcompensates for it.
You are going to be getting the Reptisun 10 tube bulb, correct?

How is he doing today?
Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Diane,

How is your boy tonight?
I emailed you as well. :D
For now, I think he does need to have an allopurinol treatment for awhile, to bring the levels down. He may not need it permanently, but time will tell.
I did notice that your tube bulb placement & that the tube is mounted on the back of the tank. I highly recommend that the tube bulb be mounted directly overhead to increase the UVB exposure. The light will be a more direct output of UVB exposure onto him than coming at eye level & outward so he can absorb his calcium better.

Tracie

LeafGirl

Original Poster
Not much change. I gave him some of the pain/anti-inflammatory this morning. Waited all day for vet to call but never did. I will be calling first thing in the morning to ask for the allopurinol. Swelling looks the same. I have been taking him outside a bit to get some sun soaking which he really loves and seems to perk him up lately. I will be working on something to rig the light up.

Drache613":jq7hh5ju said:
Hello Diane,

How is your boy tonight?
I emailed you as well. :D
For now, I think he does need to have an allopurinol treatment for awhile, to bring the levels down. He may not need it permanently, but time will tell.
I did notice that your tube bulb placement & that the tube is mounted on the back of the tank. I highly recommend that the tube bulb be mounted directly overhead to increase the UVB exposure. The light will be a more direct output of UVB exposure onto him than coming at eye level & outward so he can absorb his calcium better.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom