HELP - bloodshot eyes?!

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I don’t have a picture (thanks a lot fudging phone camera!) but it’s become painfully obvious, the pinkish tint that Id posted about earlier has spread and now is blood red. His eye isn’t fully red, it’s more around the centre.

Not much has changed… a few days ago I did lift the little top feeder flap on the enclosure up to let in some unfiltered UVB, he basked under there for about 15-20 minutes before leaving to do other beardie stuff. The bulb is a 14%.

Is the direct exposure what caused the eye irritation? If it is I feel so bad, will he recover? I closed the feeder flap just now. I’ll try and get a good pic soon, is there anything I can do? Will his eye change back?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Pic:
1696617133624.jpeg

Edit - important info: I forgot to mention, rarely (I’ve seen him do this maybe once or twice) he runs his eye against his hide. He is not shedding g which leads me to think it could be irritated… 😢

Attachments

• 1696616564698.jpeg
    1696616564698.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I dunno what is causing it but it shouldn't be the direct uvb. All 5 of my guy have the uvb inside wirh them and i haven't encountered any issues health wise.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I dunno what is causing it but it shouldn't be the direct uvb. All 5 of my guy have the uvb inside wirh them and i haven't encountered any issues health wise.
I just checked, he has it on both of his eyes. Will he be okay?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I just checked, he has it on both of his eyes. Will he be okay?
Honestly, i can't see it in the pics. You might can try rinsing it out with some saline. I've seen it recommended on here before. Maybe hit up @KarrieRee, @AHBD, or @Drache613 they can probably be more helpful than me on this one.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Honestly, i can't see it in the pics. You might can try rinsing it out with some saline. I've seen it recommended on here before. Maybe hit up @KarrieRee, @AHBD, or @Drache613 they can probably be more helpful than me on this one.
It’s the dark colouration around the pupil, it’s hard to see and I’m sorry about that. Thanks for flagging the others!

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
How far is the uvb from.his basking spot unobstructed?
UVB is 10” away from basking platform, on top of the mesh though I’m using a stronger wattage (14%) to make up for that since I am unable to put it inside the enclosure (I will once I get a taller enclosure for him, currently have an 18” tall enclosure).

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Red tint eyes are normal in beardies, nothing to worry about.
Yes, although it’s become more than a red tint. His entire lower eye is a really, really visible blood red colour which isn’t normal for him. I think it’s spread a bit as well, compared to previous pictures it was just a pinkish ring around the pupil, now it’s almost half of his eye on BOTH sides. He’s also shown signs of irritation in the area.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, they can have some reddish tint
on or in the eyes are normal.
How long have you noticed this?
As AHBD requested, maybe try to get a
little more close up picture of the eyes.
To me, his eyes look healthy.
The UVB light is placed at a good distance
so I doubt that's any problem. Are you using
a nice bright white basking light also?

Tracie

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Can you get a more focused picture ? And what is he doing that seems to show that his eyes are irritated ?
I’ll try, but a quick warning my phone’s camera sucks so it’ll probably be a bit blurry. He rubs his eyes against the hides in his enclosure though he is not shedding.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hello,

I agree, they can have some reddish tint
on or in the eyes are normal.
How long have you noticed this?
As AHBD requested, maybe try to get a
little more close up picture of the eyes.
To me, his eyes look healthy.
The UVB light is placed at a good distance
so I doubt that's any problem. Are you using
a nice bright white basking light also?

Tracie
The past four days. I’ll try to get the picture but there’s no guarantee thanks to my phone’s camera. My basking bulb is white.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom