Help!! Beardie May Be Dieing!! UPDATE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
You really need to start syringe feeding him some unsweetened applesauce or unsweetened pumpkin or babyfood prunes, and start giving him daily warm baths with a belly rub. You can mix the calcium in with the soft food too. Get a plastic syringe and wiggle it at the base of his mouth to feed him (not from the front or he can aspirate). I had to do this with Curt because his repeated impactions got to the point where his system weakened and he couldn't poop without baths and soft food. The superworms are only going to impact him further if he is not supplemented with the correct soft foods to help him use the bathroom.

JonnySteele

Original Poster
coastergirl946":10wccca7 said:
You really need to start syringe feeding him some unsweetened applesauce or unsweetened pumpkin or babyfood prunes, and start giving him daily warm baths with a belly rub. You can mix the calcium in with the soft food too. Get a plastic syringe and wiggle it at the base of his mouth to feed him (not from the front or he can aspirate). I had to do this with Curt because his repeated impactions got to the point where his system weakened and he couldn't poop without baths and soft food. The superworms are only going to impact him further if he is not supplemented with the correct soft foods to help him use the bathroom.

Well he pooped a few days ago, and since then hasnt eaten anything, other than the few worms. So is he still impacted, or is something else wrong?

Also, how do i get him to open his mouth to eat it? Ive tried before and he wont open at all!

JonnySteele

Original Poster
Ok, i made an appt with a local vet at 5pm today. Ive never taken a reptile to a vet!! What do i need to do? What should i transport him in?? He is about 15" long. Also, what about heat, wont he get cold?? Help, i just want to make it as stress free as possible. Thanks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? He could still be slightly impacted yes. Has his appetite gotten any better?
You can transport your dragon in a little mesh cat carrier with his blankie. What did you end up taking him in for the vet visit today?
How did things go at the vets?

Tracie

JonnySteele

Original Poster
Drache613":2t8lq9o1 said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? He could still be slightly impacted yes. Has his appetite gotten any better?
You can transport your dragon in a little mesh cat carrier with his blankie. What did you end up taking him in for the vet visit today?
How did things go at the vets?

Tracie
UPDATE:!!!! Took him to the vet today, they did a fecal exam and found worms and coccidia!!!! Also he isnt processing calcuim like he shoud "due to my crappy compact UVB bulb".

So he is now on worm medicine, coccidia medicine and liquid calcium!!

He has 2 doeses of worm treatment, one he got at the vet, the other i have to give to him 2 weeks from today. He has to take the coccidia medicine 1 time daily for 10 days, and the calcium daily for 30 days!!!

I ordered a new Reti Sun 10 24" bulb and a new fixture, it will be here monday!

My only problem is, my beardie wont open his mouth for the medicine, the doc had to pull down on his beard hard to get him to open and he freaked out!!! Took 2 of us to hold him still!! Is there an easier way??

ChinelleKitten

Hatchling Member
When I had to treat my beardie for coccidia he wouldn't open his mouth either. They gave me a plastic medicine dropper to administer it and I'd wiggle it between his lips on the side of his mouth. Once the dropper was between his lips he'd usually start to chew at it so I'd be able to get the medicine into his mouth. If he clenched his teeth tho i'd have to try to lightly pry between. This method shouldn't hurt your beardie. I'd be worried that pulling on his beard would be very traumatizing for your poor guy and of course can hurt him. Don't use a glass medicine dropper tho because if he bites it he can break it and get glass in his mouth. Good luck treating him! and he'll be much happyer when it's all said and done and he has his new light :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is great your bulb will be there on monday for you! I think it should help quite a bit, along with the liquid calcium, too.
Too bad he had worms & coccidia, but they should clear up pretty fast once his stress levels go down & he starts feeling better with his new light.
Hopefully he will take the meds for you pretty easily!
Are you giving any probiotics for him right now, while he is on the medication?

Tracie

JonnySteele

Original Poster
Drache613":3cksp3tb said:
Hello,

Well, that is great your bulb will be there on monday for you! I think it should help quite a bit, along with the liquid calcium, too.
Too bad he had worms & coccidia, but they should clear up pretty fast once his stress levels go down & he starts feeling better with his new light.
Hopefully he will take the meds for you pretty easily!
Are you giving any probiotics for him right now, while he is on the medication?

Tracie
Not sure wat probiotics are?? The doc didnt say anything about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom