HELP! bearded dragon fall!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompersmum

Original Poster
Chomper has a vet app on tuesday at 4, couldnt do it earlyer because of work..... hopefully he will make it until then....

chompersmum

Original Poster
Hey guys,
The vet app went well. as well as the past few days he has been getting better every day, his eyes are more alert and open most of the way now. he will eat food out of our hands but cannot put his head down to grab the crickets by himself.

The vet believes that he has some nerve damage in his neck area, and that is affecting his right front leg from working properly (he thinks it could be numb) , and his neck from going in the down position (but i did find chomper sleeping with his head flat to the ground 2 nights ago, but when he was trying to go for the crickets he couldn't do it and he did try...). The gulping/swallowing thing he believes is a comfort thing rather then anything to do with his lungs because he said he seems like a healthy dragon other then the walking and neck movements.

he spent a good 40 mins looking over chomper and 10 mins looking over his xray. He was very knowledgeable and spent a lot of time with us and chomper. He gave chomper some anti-inflammatory meds that we will be giving him for 14 days, every 48 hours. The vet didnt even charge us for the meds only the exam... i think chomper has a new vet and hes a keeper!

i will keep you guys updated on chomps progress :) thanks for all your help and info! and remember to never leave your beardie on your shoulder.... even if you have for 2 years.... because you do not want to go through what chomper and us went through....

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is too bad there is some nerve damage which is affecting him right now. How is his appetite doing?
At least he is alert & doing better. If he will eat from your hand, that is great so he is getting some nutrition.
It sounds like Chomper is improving slowly. I hope that his leg will heal up along with his neck too so he can move around better. He may just be swallowing in that manner to help deal with pain or stress, I agree. The can pick up habits just as people can.
Which anti-inflammatory did he give him?

Tracie

kaykay87

so sorry to hear u and chomper r going through a tough time but great to hear hes doing better, please update us when u get a chance.
i always walk around with my zuko on my shoulder, think i need to rethink this through... sending get well wishes to lil chomper, he sounds like a right little soilder.

also well done u for seeing to him straight away, some people would of left him and hoped for the best, we all love our dragons dearly and most of us know what its like to almost feel like ur losing ur little guy, its unbearable :(

chompersmum

Original Poster
hey guys, thanks again for all the love and support, feels nice to have people that understand what we are going through.

the medication name is "metacam oral"

he ate 15 crickets by hand today and has ate veggies/fruit by hand every day for the past 5 days. he even got excited again when we bring the bag of crickets in his room :) the walking has improved today and his neck a bit too, but still not 100%. his eyes are wide open and alert and he looks around just like he use too :) i think soon he will beable to move his neck better and maybe even catch and eat crickets on his own. also we have been giving him lots of water through the syringe every day, and every 2nt day ONE syring mixed with water the his electrolyte/ vitamin b3 supplement and many more water without the supplement because i dont want to overdose him on vitamins. I also have been giving him baths everyday, to help not only his shedding but this muscles and joints.

Chomper is defiantly a fighter and a survivor. And yes i would rethink walking around with him on your shoulder, we have done his for 2 years and he has never fallen (or jumped), i would never wish this upon any beardie or there owners. i believe taking him to the emerge vet saved his life, because of the oxygen. oxygen is the first thing they give in a ambulance, and (i believe) saved his life. 600 dollars is not as important then my beardies life. i can always make the 600 again but i cannot make a new chomper. thanks again guys

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Chomper sounds like he is doing pretty well.
He is eating & is alert which is great! I know he will be back to his old self very soon, at this rate.
The metacam is fine it is routinely used for pain & discomfort for them.
That is good he is getting plenty of fluids as well as his vitamins also. His B vitamins shouldn't be easily overdosed thankfully being water soluble, but giving them with care is a good idea.
I am glad that you got him to the ER so quickly. I am sorry that this happened, but I think he will be alright now, thanks to you.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

chompersmum

Original Poster
Hey guys,
A update on Chomper's progress. He is doing great! eating all his food and catching crickets on his own! one eye is still not as alert as the other eye. He is walking almost 100% normal! he is still gulping, but im glad to say i think chomper made it through :) what a little trooper :) His neck seems better too :)

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Im so happy for you and chomper. I am happy he is getting better as each day passes by. You have been a great beardie mommy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom