Help! Awake from brumation 22 days and still has not eaten

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As long as temps are good and right I dont think moving the bulbs or putting a screen on is going to help - did the vet do X rays ? Is there a possible infection going on that has been missed - some thing is off if hes losing weight --- in Hiccups case he had no infection and blood work came back normal - but he wasnt losing weight either -- so w/ this one losing weight and him not eating -- what did the blood work show anything? They can do a Xray to see if any infection is showing -
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is he slowly losing weight or is it a gradual thing? Can you offer a heat gradient or is it stuck at the 102 temp? I would get a different piece of decor that can offer a different gradient heat so he can pick the temp he wants to bask at -- see if that makes a difference
Karrie

Saffron304

Original Poster
He is slowly losing weight. We do have a gradient available. We have a hammock that is angled upward so he can be at the bottom or top of it in order to get more heat. There’s a “pyramid” and a branch that he can utilize in the basking area as well. That’s the reason I thought maybe he didn’t like the light bulb being inside the enclosure, he hasn’t seemed to go towards the higher temps-he used to happily bask with his mouth open at 105°. He would be able to get that hot if he wanted to but he chooses not to. It seems like he prefers to be 98° most of the day. He will go to the hottest basking spot first thing in the morning but doesn’t stay there very long and goes off to the side.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you can get a copy of the blood work, that would be great! They said that they were all
normal?
Is he showing more interest in basking or food yet, or just wanting to stay out of it more?
Do you have a UVB meter that you could measure the UVB light with? Sometimes, lights
can go bad & emit bad wavelength, for some reason.
Has his beard been normal color or darker in color?

Tracie

Saffron304

Original Poster
He’s still not wanting to bask very much. He will typically come out of his cave and eventually make it up to the basking spot but not stay there very long. His temperatures are usually are from 95 to 98 when he’s over to the side. And he often looks sleepy, especially in the afternoon. I know this sounds weird, but he stares at me nonstop so I will get him out and cuddle him and put him to bed. He doesn’t realize he can go back in his cave on his own to sleep. He thinks he has to cuddle with me first in order to go to sleep. When he first came out brumation (1st week) he was super active running around jumping, but not so much now. We bought a brand new Arcadia T5 12% UVB bulb just in case it had something to do with UVB output. The new bulb has been in there for about three weeks. Unfortunately, I do not have copies of the bloodwork, but I could call and see if they could send them to me. But yes they said it was normal. And the x-ray was normal. His beard has always been normal color, we’ve never seen it turn black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom