HELP. 4 year old beardie tail suddenly seems skinny and legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I PM'd you regarding contagious issues, etc. After reviewing your thread, I don't think it was parasites as it seemed to come on too quickly. Was his beard black before you gave the reptaid & other fluids, or no?
At 4 he is very young, but it still could have been renal or liver failure. That can happen out of nowhere as it is very difficult to recognize signs of orgain problems before it is too late.
Is there any way that he could have gotten into anything toxic that you can think of?
I am so sorry for your loss of Oscar. :cry: He was a beautiful dragon, indeed.

Tracie

TheAnthropologist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank-you so much for your help and advice! And yes, he was absolutely stunning. The illness did come on literally over night. The few days before he was fine, eating, healthy and normal. I dont think he could have gotten into anything toxic. To clean my vivs I use non-toxic cleaner and wipe it with water afterwards. I am now using water and vinegar from now on. Thinking about it, liver failure makes sense because his stomach and legs swoll up....which means he had water retention.

His beard was dark before the reptaid....but he got worse after. He started to breath heavy after I gave the reptaid. When I gave it to him I out it on his nose but he would refuse to like it. At one point he opened his mouth wide and I put some on his tongue. I was giving him chicken baby food and butternut squash before I purchased the reptaid and syirnging him pedialyte.
I did have him outside a few weeks before...but he was never really on anything and I use nothing in my yard--fertilizer wise. He was on my shoulder the whole time.

IMG_9800.jpg
RIP Oscar.

I will find a picture I took of when he was sick.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is really too bad. He was too young. :cry:
Usually with sudden death of that manner, it is toxicity, liver or renal failure most of the time. His symptoms fit those as well. I am not sure why though at his age that would have occurred.
I don't think that anything you did caused that, since his beard was dark before you gave the reptaid & other foods etc. The reptaid was likely too strong for him at that point.
What insects do you feed & could they have caused any issues?
You can also use novalsan/chlorhexadine for a non toxic cleaner also.

Tracie

TheAnthropologist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1xkmkjcg said:
Hello,

That is really too bad. He was too young. :cry:
Usually with sudden death of that manner, it is toxicity, liver or renal failure most of the time. His symptoms fit those as well. I am not sure why though at his age that would have occurred.
I don't think that anything you did caused that, since his beard was dark before you gave the reptaid & other foods etc. The reptaid was likely too strong for him at that point.
What insects do you feed & could they have caused any issues?
You can also use novalsan/chlorhexadine for a non toxic cleaner also.

Tracie

I feed crickets and superworms. But the week leading up to it I had given them canned grasshoppers as a treat (those ones at petsmart and petland). They are in a green container. He ate about two i think....could that have caused anything? I dont know what toxins he could have consumed...ive been using the same cleaner for two years, same system etc. So i dont know why any cleaner would suddenly give him a reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom