Hello! Newbie Here! With a question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

littledragon

Juvie Member
*waves bd style lol* I'm a new beardie owner. My baby is about a month and a half old, and he's got some orange and red spots along his back and head. His daddy was mostly brown with a red face, and his momma was a yellowish color.

Any idea what color he might turn out to be? Is there any tricks that will help the oranges come out more as he grows? I've heard lots of sunlight helps. ((NOT UV bulbs, real sun)) Or what about the colors of his environment?

Also, I've been reading some posts, and most say that the temp of the "hot spot" of the tank should be over 100 degrees. Mine is usually around 95. I take the tank outside to let him sun, and if it gets any hotter than 100, he hides in the shade. Should I keep the temp where it's at or go higher?

If you've got any answers, or any advice on how to raise my baby well, post away! Thanks!!!

K13y

Hatchling Member
Hi! I have a year old male and here's info I considered correct after i researched and found a consistency with info from different sites, etc. I hope i's helpful to you!!
Colorwise- whatever you see as a juvenile will only intensify as he/she gets older and with every shed! Yes- sunlight and warmth really brings out the color- as far as feeding it something to make more color- carrots are good because of the beta-carotene, BUT you have to be careful- the vitamin (K i think) can be bad if you get too much. Be aware of pet stores that use carrots to feed their crickets (beardies absorp all of what the cricket has in it's system).
Temperature? It is VERY IMPORTANT for juveniles' internal body temperature to reach 100 degrees within an hour (any hour) to have proper digestion. You want your basking hot spot to be 105-115 degress. If it's too hot, they will open their mouths to let heat escape, or they'll move!! Haha- simple, right? I was a nervous owner cause they're so little and frail as babies!!! Feel free to ask me anything- i know it's scary to be responsible for the little cutie's life!!!
Kristy

littledragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks a lot! I've been talking to other people, and I think I may have the wrong kind of thermometer, and so I'm not getting correct readings. I think that's the problem.

And you're totally right...I don't want to do anything to hurt my baby! I've never owned something this small...it's scary!

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
It is important that the basking spot be higher than 95-100. 110-115 is good.
Your tank should have a cool side and a hot side (with basking spot), your Beardie will move when where he needs to go.
Mine likes the really hot temps mid-day, in the evening he hangs out on the cool side.
The temp. things they sell at the petstore are not good. Get a temp gun and a digital for an accurate reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom