Hello and some newbie questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LottieLizard

Hello everyone!! I'm happy to have found this forum after becoming a first time beardie owner 2 short weeks ago! As many before me have mentioned, the plethora of misinformation out there is astounding and this forum has already helped me immensely! So my story is that I've always been fascinated by the "nontraditional" pets and after my ferrets passed I thought I'd try a reptile as I've never had one. After some research and reading a book on beardies at the library (which, by the way, had some completely inaccurate info!!) I thought I was ready. I decided to look for an adult as they don't seem quite as fragile and I wasn't sure I'd be able to feed a baby as often as they need. I found a family on craigslist whose kids had grown uninterested in their female dragon and they sold me their entire set-up for a reasonable price. They guessed she was about 18months and while I haven't officially measured her yet I'd approximate about 16in long....Fast forward 2 weeks and I've learned so much! I renamed the dragon Lottie and we are getting to know each other. She seems pretty sweet and tolerates being handled but doesn't seem to relish it. I get the feeling she wasn't taken out much in her previous home. She came with a 36x18x18 terrarium which seems to be a good size (?). They were using the crushed walnut substrate which I replaced with reptile sand (I know it's not the ideal choice but I was hesitant to make too many drastic changes too quickly). I replaced all the bulbs since the other owners never had and switched her from a black light to a ceramic emitter for night time. They did give me a timer so luckily her schedule was able to stay consistent. I bought her bigger hides as she no longer fit in hers and bought her a hammock that she refuses to use. For diet the previous owners said she ate Kale and crickets. I've tried to mix in some better greens for her diet and have gotten her to eat Collards. I'd like to try dandelion greens and prickly pear but so far have struck out finding them! For bugs I still give crickets every other day but I started mixing in hornworms which she LOVES. But, as they are seriously expensive, I ordered some phoenix worms I am currently growing to add to her repetiore. So, for all of you experienced owners I have some questions...

1. She tolerates me handling but it seems like she can't wait to get away. Will this change with some TLC or should I admire her at a distance? Does she need a friend? Can I let her out of the cage? I've let her run around my sunroom for a few min at a time but I'm so afraid of her hurting herself or getting too cold. I can't really let her roam the house bc of my dogs...

2. Feeding - I ordered some phoenix worms from mulberry farms but they are all the way in CA and I'm all the way in PA. Any closer suppliers I can get hornworms/phoenix worms from? My local pet store is so expensive ($1 for 1 hornworm). I know she can probably eat roaches but I haven't quite brought myself to the point of handling them yet lol! Also, should she be eating fruits? She does well eating her greens and ate a little mango but snubbed strawberries and blueberries.

3. Digging - Just this weekend she began obsessively digging in her cage and clawing at the glass. I thought she may have wanted attention and I took her out but her beard got really black and she seemed angry. So I put her back and she started up again. I read females can lay eggs and will dig but how long would that take?

4. Baths- I read I should do them but she gets really freaked out when I try. I'm guessing her previous family didn't give them often. Any suggestions?

5. Forum question...is it possible to post videos?

Ok, that's all I can think of for now so I thank you all in advance. Look forward to getting to know you all and becoming a good owner :D

zaxon

1. She could just be active. Most dragons are very active, this just shows you are doing a great job at giving we the right kinds of food, care, etc.. Just think about how huge you are compared to her. She might seem afraid but it's not always the case. Try sitting her on your shoulder while you walk around doing activities. Both my dragons try to escape my hands, but when I put them on my shoulders they just sit there and look around. Be careful though and don't make a lot of sudden movements and just keep a close eye on her and make sure she doesn't try to jump off. Don't get her a friend. Dragons show a lot of dominance over each other and you should never under any circumstance house 2 dragons together. Just put her in a room with not as much things for her to climb under. Such as a bathroom. Just close the door so your dogs will not see her.

2. Well the only way to feed her is to get things from the pet store, just for while you're waiting for the other feeders to arrive. Only thing you can do. My dragons love bok choy. Try some of that! Apples are good too, just don't give her the core, the peel or any seeds. Cut into small dice.

3. When I first got my second dragon, I also got him off another owner. He just seemed to be digging himself a hole to sleep in. Sometimes it can also be because the temperature is too extreme. Don't lower it yet, though. If you still have contact with the previous owner, ask them what temperature they usually had for her. Also make sure you have a hide for her too. She could be trying to escape the light, but that is very uncommon. Bearded dragons can lay eggs even if they have not mated, but the eggs will not be fertilised.

4. If you sit her on your hand with your hand in the water, that may help her feel better about it knowing that she if on your hand. Make sure the water is lukewarm (about 79 - 97 °F or 26 - 36°C). This is not an exact lukewarm temperature, but it is an estimate. Test with a thermometer if you have one. Lukewarm is usually between cold and warm, usually just above cold. You will know how Lottie likes it when you put her in. If she tries to escape it, it is most likely too hot. Try to put her in up to half way from her stomach and if she frantically tries to escape, drop the temperature. Make sure it isn't too cold, because remember reptiles are cold blooded, she temperatures too low will stop their heart. Test the water temperature with your inner wrist.

5. Sorry but you cannot post videos on the site. But you can upload them on a third party website like YouTube, and then add the link to your posts on here.

If you have any more questions post a reply and I'll get back to you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom