Hello! Allow me to introduce Saphira!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOHerp

Hello, I'm kinda new to beardies, but not to reptiles. This is my new beardie Saphira, just found out today that she is a female. Isn't she beautiful? I've had many reptiles, but I really think my beardie has the most personality. Also included are some pictures of the enclosure I built for her. She isn't living in it yet because she seems too scared of all the room. But I'll be moving her there soon. Along with a red male I'll be buying in the next few days. He'll be named Falkor.
1128072108.jpg

1123071205.jpg

1123072153a.jpg

redn3ckkittycat

Gray-bearded Member
Well, I must say...wow @ that enclosure! But, let me advise you against housing a male and female together. You would only be asking for trouble. Beardies are solitaire animals, and males will over breed the female, causing health problems, leading to eventual death. :( Sorry :( Best if seperated. But gee she's pretty! Also, what type of sand is in your enclosure?

NOHerp

Original Poster
Oh I did not know that...the breeder I bought her from said that she would be fine with a male....what about another female? I have silica free play sand in the enclosure. I was told it was safer for them.

redn3ckkittycat

Gray-bearded Member
If you 'must' have two beardies, and you 'must' enclose them together, your only option is 2 females. However they will still fight over Dominance issues. Which will effect their eating, sleeping, and basking habits. If honestly not a good idea to house them together, if you can avoid it. Is silica free sand the same as child sifted play sand? Also, how old is the bd now? It isn't recommended to keep a baby under 16 inches on sand. They generally are sloppy eaters, and like to taste every thing. Generally, slate tile or reptile carpet is the best for babys under 16 inches. Sand causes a high risk of impaction. However, sifted childs play sand is the best, if you'd like to have sand. Also, a great idea is to provide your beardie with a small flat spot for his/her salad, with the bowl, of course. A slate tile works great under the bowl! Hope maybe that helps. If another experience bearded owner would jump in with the questions for you to answer, its like a survey, works great!

NOHerp

Original Poster
Thanks for th tips. I'm aware of the issues with sand as a substrate. I did research before purchasing Saphira. Right now she is in a cage with carpet, but in a month or so will be ready for sand. The sand I bought is sifted play sand. I think I may just stick with Saphira for now. I'd rather not have her get injured by another bully dragon, and if I bought another dragon, I did want to house them together. Oh well....guess I'll have to build another cage!! LOL. She is soo cool though!!

redn3ckkittycat

Gray-bearded Member
Cool! I'm glad you did some research! I personally have cages and tanks out the butt at my house! My bigger BD is on slate tiles, in her 4X2X2 tank, and my little girl is on non-adhesive shelf liner in her 20gal baby tank. I started with one beardie, had her for about 8 months before I got my second one, and had a new tank built for the big one, and I'm starting on the 2nd ones big tank. *shrugs* they are addicting though! I love my babies!

NOHerp

Original Poster
No kidding! She recognizes me already and runs to my hands when I reach into the cage. She eats all her veggies, and I was even able to train her to drink from a dish! She is so cute when she sleeps! She crosses her arms and lays her head on them!

redn3ckkittycat

Gray-bearded Member
Awwwwww. mY little baby ive had almost a month. and she black beards my big girl, whos 16 inches. kinda funny. *shrugs* lol both of mine know my voice too. lol

NOHerp

Original Poster
Saphira goes crazy when we go outside together! She fights to get free from my hands but only to climb up to my shoulder to get to the sun! She also loves bathing, but gets very moody when she wants out. Almost as if to say "Get me out...I've had enough...NOW!!"

redn3ckkittycat

Gray-bearded Member
My two little ones love the bath. Sophia just swims and swimsss and Olivair just kind of chills, untill she's ready, and she'll climb up my arm till she can get out of the tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom