Hello all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got my new baby beardie a week ago now and have a lot to learn still. Got my little guy from a pet store (never again) where me and the girlfriend were looking at either a beardie or a leopard gecko. The personality of the beardies just caught our attention so much more, and when she asked if she could try to pick one up the guy said "sure". She reached in, gently picked up a baby beardie (smallest one in the tank, maybe 4 inches long), he didn't struggle, she looked at me said "he let me pick him up! he likes me, can we get him??" so I smiled and we took him home. On the drive home, girlfriend took him out of the little box (not 5 minutes after leaving the store) and she freaked out, he was freezing, not moving and she couldn't see him breathing, so she screamed at me, "he's dead!". I got scared so I Immediately turn on the heater to warm him up, when he starts to move, in fact he got so excited he jumped down the girlfriends shirt and gave her a good laugh.

Anyways, definitely glad to have found these forums, and hoping to see my young dragon grow up healthy and happy

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the forum and gratz on your new buddy.
But:
worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
He's cute! I see you have a red light, which really isn't great for him. Bright white basking light for day, darkness at night. Would you like to answer some questions on your set up to see if we can help you get everything right? Here's the list if you do.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)?
How long are lights on each day?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bathe your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

obviouslyray

Original Poster
daner923":w4gudwjt said:
He's cute! I see you have a red light, which really isn't great for him. Bright white basking light for day, darkness at night. Would you like to answer some questions on your set up to see if we can help you get everything right? Here's the list if you do.

How old is your dragon? I estimate he's about 3 weeks or a month old because of his size.

How long have you had your dragon? a whole week!

How long is your dragon? about 5 and a half inches

What is the sex of your dragon? From what I understand it's too early to tell, but we assume he's a boy because his little face looks like one

What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? Currently 10 gallon. I do understand we should house him in something bigger and I will be looking into a 40G by the middle of the month. Keeping the 10G for feeding time

What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Just a reptile carpet. Replaced Calci-sand after about 2 days due to suggestions made to others here on the forums.

Do you use UVB lights? I do have a UVB light.

If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Believe it's a fluorescent tube. I usually leave it on top of the tank, which I was told should be inside as the screen blocks the rays. Will remedy that tonight :)

What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Repti Glo 5.0 UVB

How old is your UVB bulb? Only about a week.

How close can your dragon get to the UVB? Oh Idk, 5 or 6 inches

Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? Yes. It's a red basking bulb (which i'm told is bad as well). I saw clear, focused basking bulbs are best? recommendations?

Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)? Yes, a blue night light. Picked it up for him after i realized the red light kept him up at night. CHE will be picked up tonight as well :)

How long are lights on each day? Not long enough. I was doing about 8-10, until today i read 12 hours is good for them.

What are the basking temps? 95-100 on the warm side
What is the cool side temp? 75-80 on the cool
What is the night time temp? My house gets cold so I try to keep the cage as warm as possible. Lately been about 65-75 degrees depending on the side of the tank

Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Two LCD thermometers. One on either side of the tank.

Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? On the basking side, on level with his little log where he likes to bask the most.

Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? No, neither.

What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Crickets, collard greens, butternut squash, he's had spinach once this week and kale as a rare treat as well. Cut up very small, will expand his diet as he gets bigger.

How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? Mornings after his lights been on an hour, afternoon around 2 and again about 2 hours before lights out

Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes. Wet napkin for water and a cricket treat to keep them eating.

Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? Yes, it's a powder, name escapes me at the moment. Using it 3 times a week on his crickets.

Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? Oh yes, every morning.

Do you bathe your dragon? How often? I gave him a sprits with a spray bottle for this first week but regular baths will be in his future. I did not want to take him out of his tank for the first couple weeks of his adjustment. How often should i bathe him though? Also I understand I should dry him off before replacing him as well?

Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? Yes. I heard a water bowl is a bad choice, is this bad as well?

Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? No.

Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Glad you took the time to answer!

Just a couple changes.

1) You need to get a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB tube. The ReptiGlo series has been known to cause serious eye problems and calcium issues as well. Also, a 5.0 is not enough UVB for them. It should be mounted in the tank, 6-8 inches from the basking spot.

2) Yes, you need a bright white basking light. Either a reptile basking light, or a normal clear household light bulb. Wattage doesn't matter as much as getting the right temps. I'll get back to temps in a minute. 12 to 14 hours a day for UVB and basking lights.

3) Kill the blue light at night, too. It can also mess with sleep. As long as it is over 65F, you're good. Otherwise, just use a CHE.

4) Basking spot should be hotter - 105-115F for a baby. Try to aim for 110F.

5) Don't use spinach really - it's not very good for them since it binds calcium. Same with kale.

6) You need to dust with calcium at one feeding, 5 days a week. The other 2 days you need to dust one feeding each day with a multivitamin.

7) Feel free to start bathing him. Misting doesn't really do anything much except help with sheds. He might drink a few drips off his nose. Don't mist in the tank as it raises humidity. You can try dripping water on his nose with a plastic syringe or an eye dropper. Offer baths every other day at his age, for 15-20 minutes each time. Water should be lukewarm (think baby bath temperature) and up to his shoulders. Watch him like a hawk so he doesn't aspirate water or drown.

You're doing a good job! Keep it up! and post pictures :D

jezwolf175

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the forums! I loved your story about your dragon. Hope to hear more from ya! :blob8: :mrgreen: :blob5:

obviouslyray

Original Poster
Ok, so I got the reptisun 10.0, and i swapped out the red basking light for a clear one, but my temps seem to be a bit off so I switched the thermometers which have only read max 80 degrees last few days (LCD >.>), and temps seem to read normally on the new habitat thermometers. I'm still at 90 degrees with the new 100w light though. now sprinking his meals once a day with calcium, will swap two days a week for his multivitamin, and spinach is OUT! also picked up a ceramic heat bulb for nights as my house get close to 50 at night. Any other tips I should keep an eye out for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom