Hello, 1st timer here with questions (added picture)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldyminerva

hi, we just got our son a beardie about a week ago. My son named him Spike, because he is 5. My husband and i have fallen more in love with Spike then the kids have! :lol:

I have a couple of questions for you guys.

1. Spike just shedded for the 1st time, since we've had him. He is about 3 months old and is about 7-8 inches long. How often should he shed?

2. We have him on small crickets because the mediums just look so big for him! How many should he eat? I was told only to feed him the crickets once a day, every other day....but Spike will eat a dozon or more twice a day, every day. We are kind of going with the flow on this. We also give him a "salad" every day, he doesn't eat any of it unless we feed it to him.

3. How do you tell if he is being skiddish or just active? Some times when we go to pick him up, he'll run from us....but that's only been the last couple days while he was shedding. Yesterday he waved at me for the 1st time :blob5:

4. How often should he be pooping? he seems to poo 1 or 2 times a day....

I guess that is it for right now. Soon i'll also learn how to post a picture!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
:wave: Welcome to BD.org! :D
And....
Gratz on the new little one! :blob8:

1. While they are young they will shed often because they ae growing at a rapid rate. They are all different so it is hard to compare.

2. Make sure to only feed him things that are no wider than the space between his eyes. At that age I feed them 3 times a day and as much as they can eat in a 10 to 15 minute period. They may not eat much if any salad at this age but do continue to offer it daily.

3. When they are shedding they typically don't care to be handled.
But the skiddish behavior can aslo be because of his age as well as he could still be settleing in.

4. He should be pooping 1 to 2 times a day at that age that will slow down as he gets older.

I'm sending you a private message on posting pic's.
Because I can't wait to see him. :wink:

I'm fairly new to beardies, my Harley being only 5 months old but I can answer your questions based on my experience.

1. It seems like babies shed a LOT which makes sense seeing as they're growing rapidly. For us, we'd notice Harley start shedding every 2 to 3 weeks the first couple months and it seems like now he's slowed down as he just recently shed and it had been a good 4 weeks since the last time.

2. Baby beardies should be fed 2 to 3 times a day (I feed mine 2x, morning and early evening) and should be allowed to eat as many crickets as they desire in a 10 to 15 minute period (which, for Harley, came out to anywhere between 60 and 100+ crickets a day). As far as sakad is concerned, you should always offer it but a baby won't show much interest in it until he get a bit older (ours has only been eating salad for a few weeks, he's 5 months old and 11.5").

3. You've only had him for a week so his running from you and appearin g skittish is quite normal as he's still settling in. It took us a few weeks to get Harley to stop running from us and then it was a bit longer before he'd relax plus he went through a stage early on where he became quite aggressive if you did manage to get your hands on him. They just need a bit of time to adjust to you and their new surroundings.

4. 1 or 2 times a day is normal.

Hope I was able to help a bit.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Don't worry we understand! It's just because of all of the outdated, false, and contradictive information out there we have all been confused. We are all very lucky to have this site.

But there is one more thing, I forgot to ask you to share some pic's. :wink:

ldyminerva

Original Poster
Ok, Let me try this! They're are all from the day we got him.

spikecloseup.jpg

spikeinhand.jpg

spikeonlog.jpg

spikesleeping.jpg

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Tell your son I said his beardie :wink: Spike is a cutie. :love5:
Baby beardies are so cute and comical. :love5: :laughing6:
Also has your son seen Zak-n-Wheezie?
If not I'd like to share some pic's with him. Just click on the link in my signature.

Again welcome and thanks for sharing the pic's he is very adorable. :D

ldyminerva

Original Poster
Baby spike is a girl! Very much a girl, her one little lump is quite noticable. So, baby spike might be renamed baby lizzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
My name is Faith
Top Bottom