heavy breathing and puffy throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
thereallivinglegend":8c878 said:
just got back from the vet (again). today they had a lady there that personally has 3 bearded dragons & 12 other various reptiles. the heat rock was taken out yesterday. i had to rearrange her whole viv so that she cant climb up more than about 10" high as the vet was worried about her hurting herself (she was pretty weak yesterday). this puts her within about 8" of her uvb (i had to rig the light down about 2 1/2'). she hasn't pooped since Thursday. On the lighter side, she seems more alert and content after her 2nd force feeding of vegetable beef baby food/bath today. her breathing is almost normal. i asked about pro-biotics & she said we should start on those after the anti-biotics have been administered for 10 days.
Well thats great that she has experience with beardies.The only thing I actually disagree with is waiting on the probiotics.The whole point of them is to be given with the meds to avoid the baytril or the panacur from throwing off her gut flora.I am very glad she is doing better with the babyfood.If she is taking it willingly then give her as much as she wants and you may want to add some squash babyfood to it to try to keep her pooping regularly.I am sorry you had to rearrange the tank but I am happy you did so I think it would be better for her.Did you get the temps in order?

thereallivinglegend

Original Poster
finally a break through! yesterday i noticed that she was gaining energy and she finally pooped last night! this morning when i got up at my usual 5:15 she was awake and staring at me (like she does when im about to put crickets in), so i fed her and went to work. i fed her again around 4 and after the baby food(which she doesn't eat willingly by the way) & a bath she was still giving me the hungry look from her cage....i threw in a little cricket and she snatched it immediately, then looked hungrily at me again... so i gave her another small one, which she decimated...since then she's been basking on her driftwood, all happy...yesterday was the last day of the panacur, 6 more to go on the baytril...im wondering why i havent called for probiotics yet...do you think its a good idea to give her crickets so soon, or do you think i should keep force feeding her? temps are good, she prefers the hot side though...

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
thereallivinglegend":638e3 said:
finally a break through! yesterday i noticed that she was gaining energy and she finally pooped last night! this morning when i got up at my usual 5:15 she was awake and staring at me (like she does when im about to put crickets in), so i fed her and went to work. i fed her again around 4 and after the baby food(which she doesn't eat willingly by the way) & a bath she was still giving me the hungry look from her cage....i threw in a little cricket and she snatched it immediately, then looked hungrily at me again... so i gave her another small one, which she decimated...since then she's been basking on her driftwood, all happy...yesterday was the last day of the panacur, 6 more to go on the baytril...im wondering why i havent called for probiotics yet...do you think its a good idea to give her crickets so soon, or do you think i should keep force feeding her? temps are good, she prefers the hot side though...
If she is eating then let her eat but why do have to wait for a call for probiotics?All you need is benebac,acidophilliz,bee pollen or SOY yogurt for probiotics.Any of these can be purchased at the pet store or at the healthfood store/supermarket.Dont let the vet charge you a fortune for something you can get on your own :wink: I am so happy to hear she is perking up.Thats wonderful news :D

thereallivinglegend

Original Poster
wow i think she may have been sick when i got her cuz ive never seen her with this much energy! she is running all around her cage, up and down the driftwood...i let her have 12 crickets today, that's the most ive ever seen her eat (and she wanted more!). im gonna order her some dubias next week to give more variety & im hoping now that she's better she may even touch her greens...thank you again so much, if i hadn't gotten such a quick reply things might not have ended up so well for Chung-Li.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am so happy to hear she is doing so well for you!Its amazing what proper husbandry and care can do :D

thereallivinglegend

Original Poster
so tuesday she ate 12 crickets and yesterday she ate 15, snatched them right up...but today she hasnt eaten anything, she will watch the crickets and kinda walk around but thats it. i've heard that beardies will do this after a big meal (get full and then skip eating for a day). is this normal? we stopped giving her the panacur on sunday (per vet's instruction), im wondering if it wasn't too soon...

thereallivinglegend

Original Poster
day 2 of no eating...she has pooped like 6 times since yesterday afternoon, small dry ones (barely anything)...i bought her some squash baby food, hopefully it will help...

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
thereallivinglegend":27744 said:
day 2 of no eating...she has pooped like 6 times since yesterday afternoon, small dry ones (barely anything)...i bought her some squash baby food, hopefully it will help...
Did you start the probiotics?It sounds like she may be dehydrating a bit from the meds so I would get her some pedialyte as well as give her a bath.You can also add the pedialyte to the squash babyfood and possibly som chicken babyfood also.Her tummy is probably wiped out from the Panacur so it is really important to get her on the probiotics.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
thereallivinglegend":6b477 said:
ok i will definitely get some pedialyte and probiotics today...i have been giving her a warm bath everyday and massaging her tummy...thank you again!
No problem, keep me posted.

thereallivinglegend

Original Poster
just got some liquid benebac...it says to give 1/2g every other day for small species...how much would you suggest giving in ML? i would think they should tell u that with a liquid med...oh yeah i got her some pedialyte too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom