heating Question!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyerick

Sorry I just have a question too about the heat. In terms of measuring the hot side of the tank, where do you measure, directly under the basking light or just on general area near the hot side of the tank. Cause if I measure directly inline with the basking light but not underneath it I get 35C (95F) and under the light i get 45C (113F). Is this ok? Unfortunately I live in a very humid city in South Africa and find the cool side is around the 30c (86F).

Just want to get this heat science down :)

Tigg

Juvie Member
Ideally you need to measure both temps on the hot side. Easiest way would be with a digital thermeter with a wired probe. first you would need to place the probe directly under the basking light, with the probe touching the surface of whatever it is your BD basks on... This temp you want between 100-110*. Secondly the general temperature on the hot side A.K.A the Ambient Air Temp. You can obtain by just placing the probe in the corner of the hot side... You want to make sure these temps stay in the 95-105* area. I should also mention that to get an accurate reading you should leave the probe sit for 45 min before reading the thermometer.

You cool end temps being 86* is perfect.

Being from a humid area in South Africa, you should also take the humidity levels into consideration, there are many digital thermometers/hydrometers available that will give you temp, and humidity for fairly cheap.

Ideally you want to keep the humidity levels inside your enclosure under 30%... Too much humidity can make it hard for your BD to breath, and can lead to Respitory Infections.

Hope this helps

crazyerick

Thanks, I am using the wired probe so its in there all the time. I think the temps are fairly close then. Just another silly question, if the humidity is too high, how does one go about reducing them?

Tigg

Juvie Member
First and foremost make sure you do not leave water in the tank 24/7. Put it in, in the morning, and out at night.

Make sure the water dish is on the cool end of the tank.
Make sure there is enough ventillation.
It would help to know what the humidity is inside your house.
If all else fails you could buy a dehumidifier and place it in the same room your BD is kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom