Heating pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nena

Hey guys! - possible long post ahead but I want to explain my situation as best as possible -

So Charlie just turned 6 last thursday and I've had him since he was 7 weeks old. When he was baby I got a huge tank because I figured I might as well go big, and his tank was right next to the door of our house so it would get really cold in there at nighttime... so I bought one of those under the tank heater pads and tested it out one night. My poor baby found it to be way too hot and slept on the other corner of the tank where it was freezing cold. I got worried and decided that the warmest place for him to sleep in would be my bed so I bought him a tempurepedic pillow so he would sleep in the wedge and a cat blanket, I'm a fairly cold person so I keep my room warmer than most with the help of a space heater, temps in my room are usually 78-80 pretty much year round. Charlie was sleeping fine on his pillow, never came off it, and wasn't as freezing cold when I woke him the next day than when he was in the tank. When we went to vet for a checkup and he found out what Charlie's sleeping arrangements were he said that Charlie was probably still cold and that I should get him a heating blanket or put him in the tank with a black heat bulb, so I opted for the heating pad and just bought the ones they sell for muscle aches. The only thing was that the pad had an auto-shut off of 2 hours and would automatically shut-off. I figured I would just turn it back on throughout the night whenever I woke up (since I tend to do several times a night) this worked for us for a while... but starting last year he's been having respiratory infections, at first the vet thought it was from him roaming around our apt in the floor and catching a cold. Charlie hates to be in his tank and the minute he sees anyone pass by he begs to be let out, so we let him roam the house or hang in the couch with us often... we stopped letting him out so much and if we did would be to roam in high surfaces, with supervision of course. He was better and then everything was back to normal. Then this winter rolls around and Charlie gets sick again, vet prescribes him new antibiotics, and told me to keep him warm... I figured after his heating pad would auto shut off perhaps he was cold for a while before I turned it back on again, so I bought him one that didn't auto-shut off. We tested it out last night and when I woke up around 2am to check on him I found him completely off the pillow, clearly it was too hot... now I'm a loss of what to do to keep him warm at nights... does anyone here have a similar scenario?? I don't want him to sleep in his tank again because he hates being there to begin with and he hasn't slept there in over 5 years... I've been looking around and found a pet heating pad that claims to get to a comfortable 102 degrees. I wonder if that's too hot?

http://www.electricblanketdepot.com/product/KH-IN3100-3104

I'm almost certain that it's because of the blanket that he is sick because this winter he didn't roam around in the floor not even once, and he still got sick. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Look at getting a ceramic heat emiter instead of a heating pad for use in his enclosure. There are a few appropriate heat mats (and other options like heat tape) but they should all be controlled with a thermostat to be safe.

Heating pads do not really heat the environment very well and won't keep Charlie consistently warm like a heater would. 102 is much to warm, honestly your room temperature sounds perfecly fine for over night.

Could you describe his enclosure a bit more? It a bit hard to follow how much free roam time he gets. If he is spending a lot of time out of it how is he getting his heat and UV?

nena

Original Poster
He has a 48inx24inx18in tank, long strip with T8 bulbs, one for light and one a 10.0 UVB reptisun, then he has a hood lamp with a 120watts regular bulb for heat. Since he's been sick, we don't let him roam around at all, except when we take him out for bed time and he hangs around the bed before putting him in his pillow. I recently switch the head pad to under the pillow instead of over and it keeps the pillow warm and he likes it... he still wheezes though, not as bad as before but he still does it. Should I take him to the vet again? I'm afraid of the bill though... Vet said that he would do x-rays next.

nena

Original Poster
Just to give you guys an update, we took Charlie to see the vet on Wednesday and he did blood work and X-rays and said that everything came back fine. He prescribed him a new antibiotic and we started giving it to him that day. Since he came back he was acting strangely and kept a very light yellow color with a black beard. I attributed it to stress from staying at the vet and being sick... On Saturday night he took a turn for the worst, he was disoriented and acted like he didn't know us, I noticed his eyes were sunken in so I rushed him to the emergency clinic. Sadly there was no exotic vet on site so the ER vet told us that he was very sick and that his heart rate was accelerated, that he wasn't responsive... She said they could keep him overnight in an incubator with fluids and oxygen. At 7am the next morning they called me to tell me that his heart stopped beating... I can't believe he's gone!!! I'm a mess and keep going back to see if there was anything I could've done differently to save him! His normal vet got in touch with me yesterday and said that Charlie probably passed of old age... But he was only six!!! I don't think that's considered old age!

He brought us immense happiness in the six years that he was with us and I couldn't be happier to have the opportunity to be his mom! My heart is shattered and I miss him dearly but I'll always remember him as the happy and loving baby that he was! I love you baby! Wherever you are now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom