Heating help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie77

Hatchling Member
Ok so I finally got the MVB bulbs Friday.. The ZooMed PowerSun 100watt... Have them set up in their tanks.. HE has a 40 Gallon and SHE is currently in a 55 Gallon Aquarium. I have the probe thermometer sitting ontop the log under the MVB and right now it is only reading 85.5 in the 55 gallon. The probe is about 8.5 inches from the fixture though NOT directly under the bulb, it is a bit to the back. I also have the Heat Emitter on sitting next to the Light. The thermometer strip that is on the tank is reading between 95 and 100 but that is like 3 inches from where the light is sitting...

The cool side of the tank is now reading 71 with a stick on thermometer..

Could my probe be messed up?

The Two BLACK fixtures are being used.. The LEFT is the MVB. The RIGHT is the Heat Emitter

IMG_1401.jpg

Sonic's set up

IMG_1402-1.jpg

Side view...

What am I doing wrong?

LQDragons

Juvie Member
have you tried a regular household flood light bulb, maybe 100 - 150 watt, instead of the CHE.It's my understanding that you want brite white light, for basking heat, during the day and use a CHE at night to keep temp above 65*F at night. Also it looks like your trying to measure air temp, not the actual basking spot, with the probe.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah, place the probe directly on the hottest basking spot and leave it for at least 45 minutes for an accurate reading. Try this, and let us know..

Julie77

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So where they are hanging out the most would be where I want to put the probe? With the probe laying AGAINST the Log/Rock? Or up in the air? When I first started putting the tank together I had that Strip thermometer sitting on top of the log and that would read 105. But then I read that they are not that reliable? And now with the MVB bulb I am not sure what her temp is, or what his is for that matter..

Which brings me to my next question.. How do you keep the probe there? LOL. I mean without your little one knocking it off the spot or laying on it?

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Well, there's unfortunatly nothing you can do to keep them from laying on it since you do want the temps directly where they lay, but to keep it in place just use a piece of tape (something stronger than scotch, but not so binding you can't remove it to clean... I want to say carpet tape, but I could just be crazy and there's no one to go check for me ATM)

Julie77

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will give that a try tomorrow and see what comes of it... I will be Christmas shopping this week and Will be checking out Prices on Tiles. Shadow has Sand at the moment but he kicks it everywhere. Food Dish, Water Dish (my son stuck a lego stand in there to keep the water dish above the sand!) I want to divide it off so that he has some sand as he likes digging in it but more tile so it is easier to clean..

I HATE the lizard carpet in sonic's tank.. Perhaps because there is not alot of things in there but.. It keeps bunching up. UGH...

I will tape the probe down tomorrow and see what happens..

Julie77

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok I taped it down directly under the MVB.. waited an hour and checked.. 86... I added a 100 watt household light bulb I had and it got it up to 95. Still not warm enough! According to the digital probe anyway.. BUT.. she is NOT climbing to directly under the light.. Of course I THINK that the taped I used may be scaring her? It is red.... She looks at it and the first time she saw it, puffed up her beard. when she realized it was nothing, that stopped but she still does not climb up to that spot..

She is more active since getting the MVB though.. But I still don't know if her basking spot is right...

the cool side is reading, 75...

I am picking up some stands this week to better set up the lights and I will pick up another thermometer in case mine is a bust..

Julie77

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I have done some rearranging.. And after moving her basking spot to the OTHER side of the tank. In the corner of two walls where the other end is exposed. And Having the 100 watt Powersun and a 100 watt Flood light. At 16 inches I have her at 102!! So I am assuming that once I get some things to raise her basking spot up a bit to the 12 inches I will NAIL the temp! The cool side is at 84 now. Now to get some more light stands as the lamps are currently propped with what I could find. LOL..

Now to work on Shadow to be sure HE is at the correct temps too.. He also has a 100 watt powersun and a 100 watt flood lamp and is at about 13 inches. So I would HOPE that brings his pretty darn close to where it needs to be.. I will be taking the probe out of her tank and putting it in his to be sure as right now I only have the one. But I THINK we have finally figured it out.. Now to get the goodies to go in the tank.. Hers looks sooooo empty....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom