Heat Wave in SF Bay Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

twicky

If the temperature outside is 90-100 degrees and about the same indoors, could the heat lamp be too much for my BD? If the temperature is 100 degrees, is that warm enough to heat his blood? I have a log that allows "Cutie" to enter/exit his tank when he feels like it. I've noticed that he is sleeping so his head is above the tank. He's done this 3 nights in a row. I get the feeling he doesn't want to go into the heated area. I have his basking light turned off today. He is sitting under where it would be. He does not feel cold. He does have access to a basking light on the outside of his tank. Once again, when the temperature is in the 100 degree range, wouldn't that probably make the tank even hotter? Before the heat spell, his basking area was between 110-115 degrees. I'm wondering, does a BD need the heat source (basking light) or would the 100 weather be sufficient? Wouldn't really say this is an emergency but rather nip it in the bud before it might become one.
Appreciate any advice

Seven65

Juvie Member
What is the temp inside the viv? If it's over 110ºF turn your heat lamp down or off. 100 is fine for while but they prefer overhead heat. I don't know what you could do about a cool side though, living in Canada i don't really have that problem, I was surprised to see the temp in Nef's viv dropped to 62º last night.

Btw you don't have a problem with him getting lost or pooping on things when he has free reign of the house?

emilybortz

Hatchling Member
Hi!
I'm in the Bay Area as well and I keep the heat lamp off during the day and the temp in their viv is still in the 90's (even with the a/c in the house). It's also a GREAT time to take them out in the sun, since the temp outside is naturally in the 90s/100s. I'll sit in the shade with a cool drink and a book with the beardies in the sun next to me so I can keep a good eye on them.
I turn the heat lamp back on at night though since it tends to get chilly after dark.

Yeah for the past month, We haven't had any AC in the house we are renting. We live in New Mexico and our temps have been high lately. I had to try and figure out the best heat light for our dragons. But yeah you should really figure something out. If I were you, I would go buy a new light, (test for the right temps though), and go from there. You might want to keep the light just in case another heat wave.

Im still having problems with our guys to eat soo. I hope you have better luck then me.

twicky

Original Poster
Appreciate the help. Turned off the lamp. He could have gone to the light outside his tank but he chose to stay inside.

About letting him out. He doesn't have the run of the house, only the run of my room when I'm home. He stays in his upper area, almost exclusively. The tank is actually in 2 levels. I've tried to incorporate many textures and shapes, he really seems to enjoy it. It's amazing to watch the positions he can get into. He has a cave dug and when I put the big log in last year, he dug a cave under it and brumated for 2 1/2 months. (Easiest pet I've ever taken care of ;-)

It about 15 feet across when he gets on the floor and he loves running across the room, stops for a while, then running back (over & over). The only time he ka-kas, is inside his tank or in the bath I try to give him every day. I've had 2 times where I had to tear my room apart trying to find him. That was not fun. It's been 6 months since the last time. Probably because I know his favorite places now and always try to keep an eye on him. Basically, I give him the run of the room only when I'm home. If I leave the room, I just close the door so he can't get out. I think it's great, cause he decides many of the time, if he's in or out. By allowing him out, he has developed a friendship with my cat. Here's a link to some really cute dragon/kitty pictures, I posted today.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=108653

Well thanks for the help
any other feedback, most welcome

here's a picture of his main area
CutiesHome_01.jpg

The big log in the back of the tank's is where he dug his cave.

emilybortz

Hatchling Member
Aww that is sweet :)
Remember though that beardies are like toddlers - so make sure to beardie-proof the room.
I once had mine swallow a marble that I hadn't seen, but it hadn't made it past her beard (THANKFULLY) so I just pushed it back out of her mouth and all was fine. Anything little and/or shiny they can try to eat, so I'd be wary of that :)

barbi1655

It was near 100 degrees for over a week here. I live in an older home and the a/c only cools enough to make it more comfortable and to remove the humidity.

I bought thermostats for the enclosures. They come with a long probe like the thermometers. I have mine set to shut off the basking light when the temp on it reaches about 100.

This way I can turn them on as normal in the mornings and not have to worry about anyone getting too hot while I'm at work.

I think they were from ZooMed.

Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
My name is Faith
Top Bottom