Heat Mat for Hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

slug

I've got it ingrained into my head that heating from underneath (heat-rocks / heat-mats) is a no-go for beardies as they can burn due to not having heat receptors on their underside? Or something to that effect anyway.

Now I've never bred beardies before and I was never planning on using a heat-mat. However, I went into a local pet shop to ask for a bit of advice, and was told that they need a heat mat overnight to keep them warm - otherwise they will die. "Surely not", I said, "I was told never to use a heat source from underneath for beardies".
I was told it was essential. Upon asking whether it would be too hot for them, I was told it would be fine under substrate or under the tank itself.

I'm still very hesitant about the idea and just done a little test. The basking side of the tank for the babies is at 110-111°F and the cold side just a couple of degrees too warm at about 87°F. I then put the heatmat under the tank itself. I also raised the tank up on legs about 1/2" so the mat isn't pressed against the underside of the tank. After letting the temperature stabalise (with the heat lamp and UV off) I was getting temperatures of 114°F + :!: - and this is for a night-time temperature.

I found a care sheet for baby beardies, which said the night-time temperatures can safely drop to the 60's. The ambient temperature of the room they are in is 72°F, so surely they will be better off without it? Or would I be better putting a heat mat on a thermostat for them?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure I am doing my best for the little ones.

On a little side note, what is the typical % of deaths in the babies? This pet shop took approx 34 babies in at 2 weeks old (they're willing to take the risk) and said 11 of them died! I was under the impression the majority of those that hatched made it into beardie adulthood.

Many thanks and the advice on these forums has been invaluable to me! :mrgreen:

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Yes I would not recommend using any mats or heat rocks!! You also said the room they are in stays at about 72 degrees you should be fine!! If it does fall below 60 degrees I would use a ceramic heat element from the top! As for the pet shops, well that's a long debate!! A Lot of their babies die off because they are ignorant and do not no how to care for them properly!! Also when us breeders sell our baby's most of us wait until they are at least 6 weeks old!! Just my opinion and I hope this helps!!!

Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheekypotato
Top Bottom