head movements from both dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

w0554096

Juvie Member
She looks like she could be gravid (pregnant).
Every dragon carries their weight differently, so it can be hard to tell. Has she been digging at all? Eating alot? Having multiple very small poops?

When a male and female are housed together, it is almost certain that she is gravid. The question is how far along she may be. She could still be a week or two away from laying, or it could be days. Keep a close eye on her for the behaviors mentionned above. Once she starts digging, running around the tank, glass dancing, etc, she should be placed in the lay box.

As for the patch on her head, it looks to me like she's shedding off a dirty shed. Usually their shed will be a light gray, but if the skin has become dirty is can look like that.
It does not look like a fungus to me, but perhaps you could take a few more pictures.

Have you bathed them yet?
A lukewarm bath for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times per week will keep them clean of poop, keep them hydrated, and help with any retained shed. Often times it will also stimulate them to poop, which will help keep your tank even cleaner. :)

As far as rehoming one of them, it may be the best thing.
From personal experience, I will say that males can be alot less stressful to keep. Your female can retain sperm for many months after even a single mating has occured, and can lay many clutches throughout the year. This is alot of stress on her body, which means that you'll need to be watching her and keep her food + calcium intake up.
She can also lay infertil clutches, even years after not being around a male or any other dragons. (I'm currently going through this right now).
It's very stressful. My female is currently producing her third batch of eggs, and I'm finding it extremely hard to keep weight on her. (This may not be an issue for you, but my dragon is stunted and undersized).
It may end up being the best thing for both dragons, and yourself, to rehome one of them.

I actually went through something similar when I got my two girls last year. The previous owner had 3 dragons housed together, the got rid of one, (male). They sold me the set up and two females, and the store where I work was supposed to take one as a store pet. They backed out at the last minute, and I had to scrape to get them another enclosure so I coud seperate them. In the end it ended up being a cheap rubbermaid bin that I mounted a UVB inside and attached an extra heat lamp I had. Not very pretty, but it worked.

There are solutions, you'll just have to pick which route you'd like to go.

Monk21

Original Poster
1) I wish I knew what that on her neck is!
2) I have a carpet as substrate (another safety tip I followed by reading in forums etc) so I don't know if she is digging!
3) I don't know how to bathe. If you can give me direction so as not to do something wrong, I will do it.
5) As for births and babies, i thought that they will be pleasant experiences and nice to have newborns but the way you describe it I may never want to breed them!

w0554096

Juvie Member
She will still dig on the carpet. It's a natural nesting behavior.
For the bath:
You can bathe them in the bathtub. You want the water to be lukewarm or 'baby' temperature. I use the inside of my wrist to make sure it's not too hot for them.

Fill it so that the water comes up to their shoulders in the deepest part of the tub, and gently place them in. You can bath them individually or together. I'd reccomend individually. Don't leave them unatended in the bath. If they've never had one before from the previous owner, they may be a little freaked out, but should settle down quickly. Just let them soak in the water for 15 minutes or so, or until the water starts cooling off.
If they poop in the water, drain it and draw a fresh bath.

It certainly can be pleasant to raise baby dragons, but generally speaking there is no money in it, and it can be VERY expensive.
There's the cost of the incubator, though you can make them yourself. You'd just have to google DIY incubator. They'll need some vermiculite, though this is cheap, and if you use soil for her lay box make sure there are absolutely no fertilizers in it, as this will kill the eggs.

Then you've got a couple of months to prepare for babies. They'll need tanks, (Can also be rubbermaid). It's best not to keep all of them housed together, or at least not for long, as that's generally where you'll get tail nips, toe nips, etc.
Most breeders keep 4-5 together, sometimes more depending on the size of the tank. Each enclosure needs a heat lamp and UVB light.
Think about 24 eggs hatching. Even if you kept 12 together in one enclousure, that's still two full set ups you will need.

Then there's the food. Babies eat alot. You can easily got through thousands of tiny crickets in the time that you'll have them.

I'm not trying to scare you off breeding dragons, but you'll need to be prepared for the cost and the work of everything. 24 babies eating hundreds up hundreds of crickets per day is alot of poop as well.

My female who's cycling eggs right now is still producing some fertile eggs, and she hasn't been with a male since July 2012 when I got her.
I have so many people telling me to hatch them, but I just don't have the time or money right now.

Monk21

Original Poster
Can I bathe them in a plastic bucket or something? The bathtub is not the best solution for me for 2 reasons. Firstly my wife doesn't want a lizard bathing where we bathe and secondly we wash the tub with chlorine and chemicals all the time so I am afraid this will hurt the dragon

w0554096

Juvie Member
Yep you can use a plastic bucket. Depending on the size of the bucket it may be harder to keep them in there if they don't like the bath, but it'll work just fine. :)

Lenewen

Juvie Member
I would reccomend researching all of the signs of domination, so that you'll know what you're seeing.

This entire post began with the headbobbing questions, so this clearly shows this is a domination issue. I know you're doing the best you can. Just give one back to the guy and keep the other?

Monk21

Original Poster
Lenewen":1ey9p16k said:
I would reccomend researching all of the signs of domination, so that you'll know what you're seeing.

This entire post began with the headbobbing questions, so this clearly shows this is a domination issue. I know you're doing the best you can. Just give one back to the guy and keep the other?

I talked to him but he wants both of them to stay together

Lenewen

Juvie Member
Then I suggest you educate him or sell the other one to someone else. They should not be together, that is cruel and unusual punishment, especially for that female.

Monk21

Original Poster
Lenewen":2b0vcdkd said:
Then I suggest you educate him or sell the other one to someone else. They should not be together, that is cruel and unusual punishment, especially for that female.

well, i tried to talk to him but he says that he wants them together. Also, I feel bad selling them to someone else since he raised them for 2 whole years. Of course if we don't find a solution fast i will have to take some initiative. If anyone of you wants the female one maybe we can work something out though

Monk21

Original Poster
Lenewen":1a53zkl9 said:
I'd take her if you ship. I don't want another male but we have room for another female.

If we cannot find another solution, we will figure something out. thanks

Lenewen

Juvie Member
I hope for your sake we do find a better solution because they are very rewarding pets when well taken care of. We have 9 reptiles and my favorite ones are definitely the beardeds. We have 15 eggs incubating, 2 pregnant beardeds and 10 babies coming in May from a friend. :D

Monk21

Original Poster
Since this morning I see the female scratching the glass like she wants to get out. Any ideas?

Lenewen

Juvie Member
I'd be scratching the glass too if I had to share a tank with a male lol. Take her out and let her roam around the room. (safely of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom