Head low...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstevo

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. Here are the photos and just to emphasize I want to show you the difference in him since I got him a few months back.

This is him today after I lowered his perch and tested temps that came in around 100f:

2jbksaq.jpg

25h3lds.jpg

When I lift him out for feeding he looks quite 'normal':

30x7hjk.jpg

Are these stress marks?

35k79dg.jpg

This is a pic of when I got him; Hope you all see a difference:

oii42q.jpg

So I lowered his temperature today to around 100f and initially signs were good but mid-day he went back and put his head down. He did have a very potent liquid bowel movement so my own conclusion is maybe he has parasites and I await the results of the fecal exam and think i will be starting treatment with him soon.

Kind regards,
Steve.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Steve. Wow, what a difference compared to the way he was when you 1st got him. He looks nice & healthy now, sure was thin before.

It's a good sign that he acted better for while after you lowered the temps, seems like that might have been part of the problem. It does sound like he has parasites, hopefully you will get the results very soon so that you can get him all straightened out. Have you been feeding him any fruit? What did he eat today?

Thanks for posting those pictures, he is a very handsome guy.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wow, what a difference, glad you'll be getting fecal results soon, as I think like Diane, the lowering of the temps helped a bit, but it does sound as if he has parasites & remembering what you told me of how he was not cared for before you got him, that wouldn't surprise me.
Deb

drstevo

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies. Really means a lot to me and I feel happier now that we've narrowed it down.

Best wishes,
Steve.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, you got answers anyway. It must have been a high count like 4+ or didn't the vet tell you? Did he prescribe Panacur? Please make sure to use a probiotic during the antibiotic treatment and to make sure to keep him well hydrated because antibiotics are very drying to their systems. Do you start treatment tomorrow?

drstevo

Original Poster
My cousin called me today and told me. I'm not sure which meds yet.
I'm only being billed for the fecal exam sent off last week as it was an external company.
Feel terrible for the little guy. Could it have been relocation stress that triggered it? :(

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There is always a coccidia count. But when something else affects them, it causes the count to go higher. It's hard to say what triggered it. He will be fine though, LOTS of beardies on the forum have had to be treated over the years, my beardies included. Is that all they found in the fecal?

drstevo

Original Poster
Feel better knowing its not so uncommon.
Yeah said no other parasites were found and veterinary treatment was required.
Hopefully when I get this over with everything will be normal for awhile at least.
I will surely make sure I get a probiotic and clean viv regularly.
Thanks for your help and support! I'm off to bed as its 4am here in Ireland and I couldn't sleep with worry.
Night Diane and take care! I will surely keep in touch.

Best wishes,
Steve.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good that the rest of the fecal was clear of anything else. Try not to worry. If it is Panacur, that is very commonly given. Let us know and take care.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi Steve,

My Gabriel (my new beardie) has been on panacur for parasites for the last 3 months, he had his last treatment this past Sunday. I found that feeding him, even if it's babyfood, before giving him the panacur would ease his tummy & the panacur wouldn't affect his eating as much. So try that.

As for how long he's had the higher count, probably long before you got him. I wouldn't be surprised, as he wasn't well taken care of at all. You're the first person to care well for him, as you can tell by the way he's acting now, compared to the way he was when you first got him. I'm just really grateful that his previous owner decided to give him to you, at least now he'll have a great life.

So don't worry about the meds, as Diane said, make sure you give him probiotics, Acidopholuz can be ordered on-line, it's the same probiotic that humans use, but in a liquid form easy to give to reptiles. Or you can get probiotic capsules, open up the capsule & give him 1/3 of the powder mixed with a bit of water through an oral syringe. That's what I used for Gabriel & it got him through the first month.

So good luck, let us know what he's going to be getting & the dose. He'll be fine once it's done, you just have to wait a couple of weeks after the meds are finished & get another fecal to make sure it's all back to normal again.
Take care,
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom