He thought they could "hibernate" for two and a half months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewstokes

Juvie Member
My friend is currently in the Guard, so he thought he could just put his two adult Bearded Dragons in "hibernation" without food, lights, or water. I understand that Bearded Dragons can brumate, but they still need to eat and they still need water and they definitely still need lights. No matter what I told him he never listened, which truly upsets me, but theres nothing I can do right now.

Oh wait....there IS something I can do. I can rescue them from him! And that's exactly what I am doing this weekend. Im taking cages and all. He has two custom built cages which could definitely use some work, but have potential. Also I had his roommate turn their lights on and feed them, and they are both eating. His male, I guess, is walking kind of funny, I am guessing it's because of calcium deficiency. Isn't there some sort of supplement special for sick lizards that gives them the calcium they need? Or should I just start putting him back on calcium-dusted crickets right away?

Here is images of his beardies and cages courtesy of his roommate.

Here is the male, Aries.
jr4hhi.jpg

Here is the female, Athena
2kkm50.jpg

Here is the cages
zn0aq9.jpg

Comments and Suggestions are appreciated.

A mercury vapor bulb like the Zoo Med Powersun UV or T Rex Active UV Heat work great...other then the fact every one I've bought burnt out within two-three months. I haven't bought one for awhile because of that, they both have a year warranty, the T-Rex's would always fall apart up at the socket within a month. The Zoo Meds worked better, but I could never seem to get them to last longer then three months, which is to bad, because they really can help a lethargic beardie. I guess my recommendation, if you want to try one out, spend the $60 on a Zoo Med, and it will help them out of their slump, but be ready with another UVB source for when it burns out and you need to send it in for a warranty replacement. I think I'm going to give them one more shot for my guy, it's been at least two years since buying one.

BDMom22

Juvie Member
Was it 2 full months that they were alone, or was that just what he had planned to do?

I'm really glad you've taken action and are going to help the beardies, that is very kind of you! :mrgreen:

ewstokes

Juvie Member
Original Poster
utahrapture":2ff1e said:
A mercury vapor bulb like the Zoo Med Powersun UV or T Rex Active UV Heat work great...other then the fact every one I've bought burnt out within two-three months. I haven't bought one for awhile because of that, they both have a year warranty, the T-Rex's would always fall apart up at the socket within a month. The Zoo Meds worked better, but I could never seem to get them to last longer then three months, which is to bad, because they really can help a lethargic beardie. I guess my recommendation, if you want to try one out, spend the $60 on a Zoo Med, and it will help them out of their slump, but be ready with another UVB source for when it burns out and you need to send it in for a warranty replacement. I think I'm going to give them one more shot for my guy, it's been at least two years since buying one.

As for UVB, I was planning on just getting two Reptisun 10.0's, one for each tank. I think that will be enough to help them out of their slump, won't it?

ewstokes

Juvie Member
Original Poster
BDMom22":5b660 said:
Was it 2 full months that they were alone, or was that just what he had planned to do?

I'm really glad you've taken action and are going to help the beardies, that is very kind of you! :mrgreen:

He turned off their lights around mid-December and left them there after he left for the Guard.

I'm glad too. I just wish I would have talked him into me taking them sooner, but Im also glad I caught it before it was too late.

TwistOfCate

Hatchling Member
Wow, people can be so uneducated! Good for you tho! You really came through for those beardies, and they are nice looking for having nothing for two months. Best of luck and keep us updated!!!!

wizbee

Juvie Member
The reptisuns will be fine. Throw out thoses coils I see and remember to rehydrate with baby warm baths. Poor babies!

Oh, yea, the regular Reptisun bulbs are fine. The mercury vapor ones have much stronger and tightly focused output of UVB that are really good for sick and lethargic beardies, I didn't realize you had two tanks. They're certainly not necessary, and in my experience, a hassle when they won't work properly, but the UVB output is pretty big, I think the 100 watt's have something like a 3 foot projection (compared to 6" for fluorescents), and when beardies bask in them I think they feel like a million bucks. It sounds like the general consensus is they'll be fine with regular ones, so don't break the bank if you don't need to. The one guy you think may have calcium deficiency would benefit, I was looking around for myself and found them for $36 with $11 shipping on this site, if you decide it's something you may like to try. Just as fair warning if you do, they're bigger then a halogen bulb and will poke out of a regular lamp, and get pretty hot. And keep the reciept...

http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-incandescent-bulbs/107801/powersun-uv.html

I had a beardie a long time ago who had been suffering with unfertilized eggs, and as soon as I put one on the tank, she'd be under it constantly, so I was bummed when it burnt out in a month and had to take it back to the store over and over.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Make sure to feed him some nice greens like Collard greens, Turnip greens, mustard greens or Dandelion greens.

What are you feeding htem now?

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
woops sorry didnt see that you havent gotten them yet. Yuck their tanks are so dirty! Have fun cleaning those out :lol: :puke:

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
WOW, Im a rather new beardie mommy, but Im amazed this didnt kill them! All that time with no light, heat, food or water? OMG! Thank GOODNESS you are rescuing them! Im so sad for those poor little babies!

HUGS

Sandi

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh those poor things, I hope they can get back on track real soon. Thanks for taking them. Go easy with the protein, don't want to overtax their systems. Let us know how things go.

ewstokes

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah. Another issue. I guess he breed them and she layed last June. Im not sure if she layed one or two clutches but I know that Beardies can retain sperm for up to a year so Im kind of worried. Would she be eggbound?

ewstokes

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So I got them moved and everything is clean. Here are some pics, I got rid of the sand and the coil bulbs and added tile and MegaRays. Here are the images:
Im also adding sliding glass doors on both. As for the beardies I've given them plenty of greens and supplements and a little bit of olive oil to flush out their system. Im going to give them some ReptAid tomorrow.

2mzio7b.jpg

2uhvi12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom