He still doesn't like me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had Zed since October 19th, so quite a long time, and I've handled him every day since he settled in. The problem is, he hates being taken out of his viv and being with me... I've tried everything, even encouraging him with food when he is sitting with me, but he always tries to go back to his viv :cry: It's upsetting as I see loads of other beardies that love being with their owners, but Zed just hates me... any help??

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
How old is he?
When you say he hates being handled/taken out, how exactly do you mean?
If it makes you feel better, some dragons are very independent - Sandy likes to take a walk around on her own before she'll even consider snuggling up for a hug, and the same with Mocha. Jam, on the other hand, is a total sucker for a cuddle.

What you could do is let him out for a good run around, wait until he gets tired or wants to stop, and then take advantage to give him a hug :D Just before bedtime is also a good time - they'll nod off and you can have all the hugs you want - and it'll let them understand that you are warm, comfy and safe. :)

AutumnFire

Original Poster
I'm not quite sure how old he is... when I got him in October I think he was about a month old, maybe younger. But he is less than a year old.. What I mean is that when I pick him up he scrambles around all the time trying to get back to his Viv. He even tries to jump from me and it's getting to the point where he's bound to hurt himself eventually :( Thanks for the advice though, I will give it a go and see if he improves at all. Apparently early morning is also good, just as he starts emerging, so I might try that as well. Thanks again! :)

TheDragonKeepers":1ep1i3a8 said:
How old is he?
When you say he hates being handled/taken out, how exactly do you mean?
If it makes you feel better, some dragons are very independent - Sandy likes to take a walk around on her own before she'll even consider snuggling up for a hug, and the same with Mocha. Jam, on the other hand, is a total sucker for a cuddle.

What you could do is let him out for a good run around, wait until he gets tired or wants to stop, and then take advantage to give him a hug :D Just before bedtime is also a good time - they'll nod off and you can have all the hugs you want - and it'll let them understand that you are warm, comfy and safe. :)

Chirple

Hatchling Member
My little guy seems more prone to snuggling after baths - probably because coming out of the water cools him down and I'm warm. :p

I would just keep at it every day - mine seems to have gotten cuddlier by the day. At first he just wanted to explore, but as he's gotten familiar with the surroundings, he's not as crazy about exploring them. I just let him run around as he pleased (watching him and keeping him safe) and when he wore himself out I'd scoop him up to snuggle.

He's having an after-bath nap with me right now. :p He'd stay there for hours if I let him, but I don't want him to miss too much UVB.

AutumnFire

Original Poster
Yeah, mine is very into exploring too, although he is more interested in climbing the drawers to get back to his viv :? Hopefully he will settle down soon! :)
Chirple":28xr67fn said:
My little guy seems more prone to snuggling after baths - probably because coming out of the water cools him down and I'm warm. :p

I would just keep at it every day - mine seems to have gotten cuddlier by the day. At first he just wanted to explore, but as he's gotten familiar with the surroundings, he's not as crazy about exploring them. I just let him run around as he pleased (watching him and keeping him safe) and when he wore himself out I'd scoop him up to snuggle.

He's having an after-bath nap with me right now. :p He'd stay there for hours if I let him, but I don't want him to miss too much UVB.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Ah, sounds a LOT like my baby, Hyphen.
Don't take it personally - in Hyph's case, he's not very bright. I'm hoping his brain will catch up with him soon though :) He does like hugs just before bed if that helps. Keep at it, and your wee chap will chill eventually :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom