He jumped off the couch!! I think he's broken bones!! **UPDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJean

Extreme Poster
I can't be sure. Hopefully someone with more experience will come on soon to help.

It could be he broke his toe. I hope it's all it is, or just a sprain of some sort.

momo4

Original Poster
He's moving about today a lot better than expected. He's very alert, watching out the window and keeping a close eye on the superworms in his bowl but hasn't touched them.... He's not blackbearding at all, and he's happy to have me pat him on the head, stroke his back and rub under his chin.

Might be just his toe? He's still limping but he's moving quicker than yesterday. I think the lack of proper UV light all his life has ruined his back legs, they seem to be dragging (from before the fall) a little more today too.

He can use his front legs to hold himself up now, which he wouldn't do yesterday either.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your little one jumped off of the sofa like that. What type of UVB light did you decide on getting & did you get it ordered?
That one toe in particular, yes, does look swollen. He is active right now? That is surprising. I am happy to hear that he is not blackbearding though so he must not be hurting too badly though.
One thing that really helps is Serrapeptase which is dried silkworm enzyme that aids with swelling, pain & inflammation. You can get it from:
http://www.serrapeptase.org

Also, if he is trying to use that finger too much, you could try to get some athletic tape to secure it for a few weeks so it has time to start healing correctly. Of course, put the sticky side up so it doesn't stick to his scales. Just do a little makeshift type of gadget to keep him from moving that finger on that hand for awhile. You could even get a popsicle stick or a couple of toothpicks to make a little cast for his forearm to the hand to mobilize it. The only true way to determine a broken bone is an x-ray but it will not hurt to treat for an assumed broken bone as it does look pretty injured.

Are you going to be using liquid calcium also? I think that you should get that as soon as you can. As Diane had suggested, rearrange the tank to where he doesn't have to climb to bask right now to protect any other injuries that might have occurred right now. He could be a little sore so not climbing will help him out, too.

Also, another thing to keep in mind that when they get injured their stress levels have a tendency to rise so you will need to be on the look out for his stools possibly getting thrown off if his coccidia levels rise. Anything to keep his stress down will help him.

Tracie

momo4

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie,

I fed him some of the baby food with calcium powder mixed in and he was all excited to eat that out of the syringe - I held him in my lap and he took three good size blobs off his nose/chin area. I'm so happy!!

He's moving around ok now too, still has the limp but he doesn't seem overly stressed.

The UV light, they've got one at the reptile store down the street, I think I'd like to try the Megaray MVB but that one I'll have to order, I can get the Repti Sun 10.0 from the store down the street for about $30 so I think tomorrow we will be able to pick that up.

Thanks again, gotta run get the kiddies and then try to offer him some more food - how often should I do that?

momo4

Original Poster
He had some more of the baby food at dinnertime. He's quite eager to eat it, so I'm wondering, should I make up some "salad dressing" with it, mixed with the powdered calcium and mix it onto his greens to get him to eat those? I have the feeling its' the smell of the baby food more than anything and if he smelled it in his dish he'd eat whatever was covered in it - or is he smarter than that? :lol:

His limp is still there, and his last toe on his other foot now has the scales/colour missing too. :( Maybe he hit both feet and damaged toes on each. Poor little man. He's alert though and eager to get attention from me so at least he doesn't hate me for letting him jump and get injured and he's happy to have me hold him and feed him with the syringe.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jill,

That is great you can get the Reptisun 10 for a decent price at the petstore. I have seen them as high as $60+ in petstores which is ridiculous.
As for the amount of the food daily, start with .5ml of food per 50 grams, or 1ml per 100 grams. If you feel he needs a bit more, you can give a little more than that. He should be fed at least 2 times per day, if you can do it, 3 for a short bit since he is only getting a small amount each time.
You can mix up the babyfood & put it on his greens that is no problem. He would love that!
I hope both feet are not injured. Can he curl his tail up properly? I was just wondering if his back was sore or not?
I am sure that he is not mad at you, things happen so fast sometimes. At least he is letting you feed him right now. He is probably really enjoying that, too. :D

Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie

momo4

Original Poster
He's still limping today but in much better spirits. He was pawing at the glass this morning *(YAY!!!)* So I put him in a bath (a big dish pan) and he had a nice drink. He only stayed in for about 5 mins before he wanted out, and I couldn't make him stay in without holding him still, so I let him out. About an hour later I put his salad with the baby food on it in there along with a small dish of superworms and smaller mealworms that we have for the leopard geckos. He ignored the food for about half an hour then suddenly ran over to the mealworms & ate 4 one right after the other. Then that was it, and he scooted back to his basking area. I was pretty shocked, I've never seen him eat the live prey from a dish since I've had him.

Both his hands are discoloured now and I almost think his whole body (not his tail or legs) is a darker grey than his normal yellow. His tail moves fine, he lifts it up when he's turning around to get it out of his way and yes, he can curl it up around himself still.

He hasn't touched the salad, so I'm going to give in and try some more baby food right from the syringe in a bit. I know he likes the attention, and if that's the only way I can get him to eat it for now, I'll do it to try to get his system back up.

Thanks again for all your help!

momo4

Original Poster
I noticed today that he's lost all the colouring down his entire back from about his neck to the base of his tail almost from side to side as well. There are no stress marks on his belly and his beard is normal... I'll try to get pics in the morning, it's the same thing as his front foot losing the colour too... does that mean his back is injured as well? Or is he just losing the colour because he's stressed altogether about the injury? Except his legs are still the normal yellow colour...? Or could this be the start of a shed? This would be our first shed together, so I'm clueless as to how the colouring differs/changes, etc...

He did have more baby food at dinner, again not a lot, I got maybe 3 mls into him...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear that he is eating better and enjoys the babyfood. When I first saw the pictures, I thought it looked like he was getting ready to shed and it does make them look like they are losing their color. Hopefully that's all it is. If he was in a lot of pain, you would most definitely see a dark beard and possibly even darkness near the end of the tail. I would make sure to give him a bath tomorrow, that will help if he has swollen joints and will also help loosen a shed.

momo4

Original Poster
Oh good, a shed I can handle... a pain-filled dragon I could not bear... Thank you!!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Be sure to let us know how he is doing tomorrow. Also wanted to mention that when they are getting ready to shed their feet and toes, fluid builds up underneath the skin that makes it look swollen, so that's something else to keep in mind. :wink:

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Well when I first saw your pictures and the discoloration you mentioned. i said to myself "his foot is getting ready to shed". My daughters lizard becomes almost totally white/gray before his shedding episodes and even eats less.
I am glad he seems to have recovered from the fall. If it makes you feel any better, I dropped the plastic tray for his scale on my daughter's lizards head this morning. But he seems no worse for the wear. Gotta go and keep us updated!

Omg, that's so sad, mine also thought it was superman a few weeks ago, though mine just yestuday started to limp on his back foot, i feel awful, and i'm helpless on what to do for him!, Anyways, i hope that your beardie does ok, mine doesnt have any discoloration yet, and i hope it never does.

Goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom