He is freaking me out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
He does not want to bask. I did a test where I turn it off and then he goes to his rock and looks like hes basking. Then I turn it on and after 2 or 3 mins he goes to the cool side and lays down on his belly and all his legs and just looks like he is sleeping but with his eyes open. it is quite disturbing, the temperature is 110 but ever so often it gets hotter butthen i turn it off and it becomes 90. Can someone please help me out.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Try lowering the temps about 5* and see if that doesn't help.
Some beardies just don't like it to be that warm.
Also what are you taking your temps with?
An exactly where are you measuring these temps?
One more quick question...what brand/wattage UVB are you using?

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
his uvb is reptisun 10. and it is a zilla stick on thermometer non digital. I also cant lower the temps, how do you dothat? I just have a lamp and it gets hotter with the seasons now we are close to summer so.. it is getting hot. Sometimes I walk in and it says 120. It melts the cages sides and the screen but then I turn it off. I basically go in there and turn it off for 40 mins or so then turn it on and an hour later it is 120.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The stickon thermometers can be off by as much as 20 degrees, so if you are getting a reading of 120, it could actually be 140. :shock: What wattage basking bulb are you using and what size tank is it? In order to get the temps lower, you use a lower wattage bulb and can even use a standard household lightbulb for the basking bulb or you can lower the basking area. The only 2 ways to get accurate readings are with either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end. Walmart has the AcuRite brand digital with probe for about $12.00 which will give you the basking & cool side temps at the same time as well as the humidity.

Is the Repti-Sun 10.0 bulb a strip fluorescent, coil or compact bulb? How close is it to your beardie?

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Unfortunately I cant get a digital because my mom wont drivre me around. But I am going to take your advice and change his bulb for a common house one seeing as it is very hot in the house right now and sduch. His reptisun is the long tube one 18 inch. his cage is 20 inches. He is just about 14 inches maybe a little more.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Here's a picture of a digital with probe that you can order online: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-thermometers/513304/zilla-terrarium-hygrometer-thermometer.html You lay the thermometer part on the bottom of the cool side with the probe end resting on (actually touching) the basking area, wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising, then you will have the basking temp. Then you lay the probe end right on the bottom of the cool side and wait again for about 45 min then you will have the cool side temp. The one at Walmart is the best for the price but if easier, you can order one instead. What size tank is he in and what is the wattage of the basking bulb you've been using? That will help us to tell what wattage might be best. That's good that you're using the long tube Repti-Sun. It should be 6 to 8" from him when he is basking and it should be placed right alongside a bright white basking bulb so he can get the benefit of both bulbs a the same time. Since he acts like he has been overheating, it would be a good idea to bathe him daily in warm water tested by the inside of your wrist. Put a washcloth down in the bottom of sink or container to help him feel more secure. Add enough water to cover his front legs making sure that his vent area (where he poos) is right down in the water for about 15 to 20 minutes to properly hydrate him. Don't be surprised if he puts his head down to get a drink. Don't leave him unattended though as they can drown. If you've never bathed him before, you may notice that his breathing changes a little and his body may puff up which is completely normal. Sometimes they even flatten out like a pancake. Just some things to be aware of.

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi diamc I was wondering what is so special about that thermommeter that makes it 20 dollars? Does it turn off the heat lamp if it gets too hot or something? The wattage on the dome and light are 150. Its getting close to summer now. This will be my first summer with him, I got him in winter. I think it is going to be very tough on him if I dont figure out how to get him to bask but not be in danger. I am considering buying a digital thermometer if you can just let me know why it is worth my money. Thankyou so much to everyone who is helping me.

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also I usually do give him a bath every other day but I had my wisdom teeth removed last thursday ( I got dry socket and it hurts like a son of a gun :cry: ) and so I have not been bathing him very much lately.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Cxerphax I wrote you out a long reply last night regarding thermometers and got knock offline and lost it so I'm just going to add a few suggestion or ideas as most has already been said or mentioned by Diane.

I'm not sure where you are located but I have a couple of suggestions on where to pick up thermometers at a decent price. I realize you said that you can't get around that easily but if you have a Walmart in your area you can pick up a digital probe thermometer for like $12. An even better yet in my opinion would be a infrared temp gun which if you have a Harbor Freight in your area they sell a nice little one for $9.99. You should really look for someone that could take you to the store for a good accurate thermometer as the correct temps are very important to your beardies survival.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Here's a picture of the AcuRite thermometer that Barbara was talking about from Walmart for about $12.00. It gives dual readings so you can get both the basking & cool side temp at the same time and it also has a humidity readout. It is well worth the money.
100_0297.jpg

To get the temps, you place the probe end so that it is resting on (actually touching) the basking site with the thermometer sitting way over on the bottom of the cool side, wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising, then the "out" temp will be for the basking and the "in" reading for the cool side. If you don't get one with dual readings, then you have to test each side separately waiting about 45 min for each register of the temps. Does that help clarify?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Let us know how you make out finding one. It should be in the area where the outdoor plastic thermometers are sold or the garden center. Wanted to make sure that you realized that it wouldn't be in the area where pet supplies are kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom