He died and i dont know why. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

btt

My bearded dragon died tonight,i would like to know if anyone knows why.I just got him 2 weeks ago For my girlfriends birthday.I dont know what we did wrong.I dont know how old he was but he was only about five inches long. He wouldn't eat anything but crickets, but we could not find any the size of the ones at the pet store so I got him regular crickets from a bait store and fed him the smallest ones. We were only feeding him one, maybe two a day. Everything was going fine until today when he had a clear, jelly type bowel movement and was very weak and couldn't use his legs very well. He also had discharge coming out of his mouth and nose. He just died and we are very upset. This was our first beardie and we thought we were doing what we were supposed to to care for him. Please help! Please don't make us feel like *****s we read as much as we could about him =[

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Well, there are lots of things, filling this out would help-

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

However, from what you've already posted.... NEVER feed your dragon crickets from the bait store, they are not meant to be food, they're meant to be bait. And babies eat A LOT. 1 a day is nowhere even close to enough.... My little girl has eaten nearly 100 crickets (appropriate size is smaller than the space between the eyes) EVERY DAY since I've had her, some eat less, but it's usually in the 50-100 range for the first year.

Was the discharge like snot? he might have had a respiratory infection, was there water in his cage?

RobbinRN

I'm so very sorry for your loss. As I am a first-time beardie parent, I too have a lot of questions, and I have found the people on this forum to be very helpful. Hopefully, someone with more experience will offer some insight into your little guy's passing. My thoughts are with you :cry:

Robbin

btt

Original Poster
He would only eat 1 maybe two a day.I think the crickets were two big about 1/4 in.Yes he had water but it was in a bowl.I have seen him drink from it a few times. the discharge was kinda pink

peera

Sub-Adult Member
1/4 was probably to big for such a little guy, I understand it's what was available to you, but if you get another, I can't recommend strongly enough to order online. It's FAR cheaper and all the crickets will be the size you need.

Standing water should never be left in a cage, dragons are sensitive to humidity and at the proper temps water burns off fast and raises the humidity of the tank to dangerous levels. It's also a drowning hazard because for some reason these guys like to doze in water. They should get all the water they need through frequent bathing.

btt

Original Poster
Do you think it was impaction?What size crickets do you feed a beardie that small? I feel so stupid. He was around just long enough for us to get attached.My girlfriend is crushed.Thankyou for helping us out

peera

Sub-Adult Member
It could have been impaction, given the size of the crickets. Tiny dragons have tiny, kinked intestine, and it's hard to pass shells through them. What kind of substrate did you have him on? Loose substrate is dangerous for babies. Not so good for adults either, but worse for babies.
Appropriate size is smaller than the space between the eyes. Most babies do the best with pinheads or 3/16th. I don't know where you are, but I've had very good dealings with Flukers- http://www.flukerfarms.com/LiveCrickets.aspx Reasonable prices and they always get here alive.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Another thought- baby dragons really aren't for beginners, no matter what the pet shop says. Maybe next time try an older dragon? Craigslist ALWAYS has adult dragons in need of a new, loving home.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Yes. Around here it's more frequently known as "Death sand". :( Since it has the calcium in it, it makes them want to lick it... unfortunately, it also has clumping properties when it gets wet, and basically turns into a big ball of cement inside them and stops them up.

Appropriate substrates are never loose- Slate tile, newspaper, non-adhesive shelf liner, repti-carpet are all good.

btt

Original Poster
We want get another but were scared to now. It seems like most of the stuff i read told me to do the wrong thing.Thanks for the help peera.R.I.P. Leo

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I know it seems like a lot, but stick around here and read the forums, and you'll be a pro in no time. A good rule of thumb is, unfortunately, not to trust the pet stores, and all the books are very out-of-date. This forum, on the other hand, is filled with knowledgeable owners who are only concerned for the health of your dragon, not looking to make a buck. Like I said too, if a baby seems like a bit much (fragile health, the cost of feeding, etc...) there are always adults looking for good homes, and they're a lot more durable & thankful.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry to hear you lost your baby beardie, Leo. :( I have nothing to add...Peera has done a wonderful job with the information she has given you. Unfortunately, it does sound like your baby was impacted. As Peera said, there is a wealth of information here for you. I wish you the best in finding another beardie. Again....sorry for your loss.

Dawn

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I just wanted to add my condolences for your loss !

I would, once you grieve for this baby, step right back in when the time is right for you and your family, and get a new dragon. As was mentioned before, an older dragon might be the trick to "getting" back into these wonderful companions !

Also, we have many responsible and reputable breeders here on the forum. I think that if you have any doubts about your equipment , just send it by us, and we can tell you if it is alright, great, or please get rid of !

BIG HUG !
Our love and support in this time of loss,
Janie, slave to Orion, Gemini, and Yardley.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I'm so sorry for your loss.
A couple of thoughts-
1. depending on where you got him, it's very possible he was already sick.
2. if you get another, the minimum age/size I would ever recommend is 6 weeks or 6 inches. I chose to go with a 6 month old to avoid the baby stage as they are very sensitive.
3. I would suggest not using food raised for bait. More care is given to feeders raised to be fed to pets. It's possible the crickets has gotten into something. Ordering online is probably a good plan for you unless you can find a shop that specializes in exotics. These seem to have better selection and prices on food.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom