Having the hardest time sexing 4.5 month old beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiefin29

So, I ordered my beardie online about a month ago...The sex was undetermined as I was told that the beardie was initially a probably female, but she thought that she was turning into a he. She has sexed many beardies, but this particular one is extremely difficult to tell. He/she has grown a decent amount within the month...dealt with a little upper RI for a couple weeks though :( ....but all is good now.

He or she is approximately 12+ inches long and 70-80 grams...was 70 grams about a week ago.

Behavior wise, he or she is very aggressive...not mean, just seems to have some tenacity....naturally I wanna be say its a boy! haha, but obviously all beardies have a range of personalities.
One particular behavior i noticed is when he or she is within sight of my other baby male housed above "SHIM" thats his or her name lol. The little baby "Rusty" Who already seems to have his 2 bulges is only 7-8 inches long...so tiny compared to SHIM. Anyways...to the behavior. Rusty will puff up and do somewhat of a medium paced push up/head bob...quite funny as he looks like he thinks he has absolute power...quite the stare down lol. Shim on the other hand, just sits there and stares at him. No head bob...no signs of anything...just stares. Maybe Shim has no reaction because Rusty is so tiny?...I was thinking that this may be a sign that Shim is a she.

Anyways, i'm posting a few pics of SHIM....I'll try to get a good "under tail" pic tomorrow (sleeping at the moment)...and Shim has gotten a little skittish due to his baytril medication that he or she absolutely hated...so I've been trying to be nice and rebuild that bond. Also, the vet...(kstate small animal clinic...so, not sure on credibility) thought Shim was a male due to his or her scent glands...but i've read that it's not just males that have them.

First week I had him or her...
20130207_2100431_zpsff665d2d.jpg

More recent pic...males usually have bigger heads, though not always the case?...also reading females have thicker tails?
20130207_2119061_zps27718246.jpg

Next two are basking pics! lol
20130208_1409241_zps46d42336.jpg

20130207_2120411_zps1d646837.jpg

drakedragon

Juvie Member
Chiefin29":ra06y058 said:
So, I ordered my beardie online about a month ago...The sex was undetermined as I was told that the beardie was initially a probably female, but she thought that she was turning into a he. She has sexed many beardies, but this particular one is extremely difficult to tell. He/she has grown a decent amount within the month...dealt with a little upper RI for a couple weeks though :( ....but all is good now.

He or she is approximately 12+ inches long and 70-80 grams...was 70 grams about a week ago.

Behavior wise, he or she is very aggressive...not mean, just seems to have some tenacity....naturally I wanna be say its a boy! haha, but obviously all beardies have a range of personalities.
One particular behavior i noticed is when he or she is within sight of my other baby male housed above "SHIM" thats his or her name lol. The little baby "Rusty" Who already seems to have his 2 bulges is only 7-8 inches long...so tiny compared to SHIM. Anyways...to the behavior. Rusty will puff up and do somewhat of a medium paced push up/head bob...quite funny as he looks like he thinks he has absolute power...quite the stare down lol. Shim on the other hand, just sits there and stares at him. No head bob...no signs of anything...just stares. Maybe Shim has no reaction because Rusty is so tiny?...I was thinking that this may be a sign that Shim is a she.

Anyways, i'm posting a few pics of SHIM....I'll try to get a good "under tail" pic tomorrow (sleeping at the moment)...and Shim has gotten a little skittish due to his baytril medication that he or she absolutely hated...so I've been trying to be nice and rebuild that bond. Also, the vet...(kstate small animal clinic...so, not sure on credibility) thought Shim was a male due to his or her scent glands...but i've read that it's not just males that have them.

First week I had him or her...
20130207_2100431_zpsff665d2d.jpg

More recent pic...males usually have bigger heads, though not always the case?...also reading females have thicker tails?
20130207_2119061_zps27718246.jpg

Next two are basking pics! lol
20130208_1409241_zps46d42336.jpg

20130207_2120411_zps1d646837.jpg

from what ive read some people cant tell until they are 6 months old. so give it a few more months

Spikey92

Juvie Member
You gotta place your beardie on your hand or table etc and then lift up his tail. Take a picture of it. You/we will see either two bumps(male) or one ,sometimes almost not noticeable bump(female). You gotta look on the tail site though not his butt :p

Chiefin29

Original Poster
Sorry guys, got real busy...plus he or she is pretty restless when it comes to "examinations." I managed to get a few pics...I don't know if it's just me, but I think I see a slight lump on the right side...so hard to tell, or it's a she? Also, is it any indication that Shim does not display any of the dom male characteristics when seeing the other beardie? Thanks so far guys.

20130227_2247591_zps190b9996.jpg

20130227_2248101_zps6df7fdcf.jpg

Chiefin29

Original Poster
I'm in the same boat as you...I think I see the bumps (more clear on the right side?)...but its nothing distinct or concrete.

Chiefin29

Original Poster
Ha, so should do you think we should hold off on giving Shim the title of Mr. or Miss...?

If you also think the lump on the right side is def there...then I wanna say that I'm leaning towards Shim being a him.

Spikey92

Juvie Member
This is a difficult one :p
First I thought its a male but now im seeing only one big lump and maybe its just a littlw more on the right site ...
I really dont know :/
Youll find out eventually once she wants to lay eggs or not

RuselBro

Juvie Member
Look's like a female to me. I think what you guy's are seeing is just because the way the tail is kind of turned and it's not a exact straight front picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom