Have a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

st6antcr

Hello, everyone. I have a couple of questions if anyone would help, I'd really appreciate it. My wife and I adopted a baby beardie from PetSmart that I've named Hunter due to his colors looking like camo, which is cool to me!

Anyway, we brought him home Monday, and until yesterday, Friday, he was extremely active and kind of hyper. He ate three times a day, and would eat 8 to 10 crickets per feeding and a couple pieces of collards. But yesterday he did not seem at all interested in his food. He ate 1 cricket in the morning, and that was it. This morning he ate two. He's also seemed kind of lazy.

There's also a few white spots on his left hind leg and one on the left side of his back. First beardie so unsure if this is shedding or what. He's housed in a 40 gallon tank, dimensions are 36x16.25x19.2. The setup came with a 100w All Living Things basking bulb. We purchased a ReptiSun 10 UVB that's mounted to the inside of the glass. His basking spot gets right at 100 with the cool side between 75 to 80.

If anyone could help me or if I'm just being overly concerned settle me down. I'm posting some pictures also. Thanks!

84792-5620746412.jpg

84792-9330203780.jpg

84792-481205602.jpg

Beardo50

Sounds and looks like a good set up. 30 crickets a day is probably too many though i would probably give him 10-12 and veggies and greens if he wants them and the crickets shouldn't be any bigger than the space between his eyes. Make sure you dust the crickets 3 times a week in fact i would only offer crickets 3 times a week and veggies and or greens the other days. I'm guessing by the pic he is probably 4 or 5 months old and they do need their calcium and minerals at this stage. As for the heat light i never cared for the all living things bulbs (just my opinion) so i use the zoo med repti basking spot lamps which i have had good results with. The 10.0 uvb bulb is good just make sure its at least 6 or 8 inches from his basking site so he can soak up the rays. Has he defecated yet? If not give him a warm bath around 90 degrees just enough water to sit his belly in and see if he does as this might relieve him if he is impacted a little from the crickets. Keep a watch on him while he bathes. Dragons when their small will eat and eat as an instinct inbred in them for survival and also because in the wild food isn't as plentiful as it is in our tanks so we as keepers have to manage this to keep it in check. Also make sure you feed the crickets or gut load them before giving them to the dragon as whatever they eat goes into the dragon. You can feed them a commercial gut load which can be purchased at the pet store or just the salad you would feed your dragon put some in for the crickets. The white spots could be numerous things but i would see if the bath washes them off maybe get a good magnifying glass and have a look to make sure their not mites or mite eggs if they are you can get a bathing solution to remove and kill them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with not thinking much of the all living things bulbs. I believe some of them have neodymium coatings as well which filters yellow light and may cause the environment to look strange to your dragon. The ZooMed bulbs do a nice job as mentioned. Since he's so small I'd definitely give him bugs every day to ensure he gets all the protein he needs. I'd also provide a salad daily. As they get older and their growth slows down you'll want to cut back on the bug feedings to every few days and provide a primary diet of salads. Judging by the photos the white area looks like patches of shed along his legs and aren't anything to worry about.

st6antcr

Original Poster
Lol. Thanks everybody for your input. I was just worried due to the fact that almost every site I read it says they eat 20 to 50 crickets a day. He ate about 6 crickets today, but did eat a good bit of collards while we were away. I'm definitely gonna look into a different bulb. Again, I appreciate the help and responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom