have a few questions *EDIT*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcbova85

1. I just got my beardie this morning, i put her in her tank and she was just looking around. i went and bought her 3 crickets and she didn't care about them, i left and came back and a few are missing, i don't know if she ate them or if they are hiding. if she did eat them all do i need to keep feeding her or do i let her be since she is getting used to her new home?

2. can i use sticks and rocks i found from outside if i bleach them and rinse them off really well?

3. is a repti hammock ok to use for a basking area?

4. do i leave a prepared pellet diet in there with her as well as crickets?

5. can i hold her yet, or wait a few days?

LJean

Extreme Poster
Lcbova85":10c64 said:
1. I just got my beardie this morning, i put her in her tank and she was just looking around. i went and bought her 3 crickets and she didn't care about them, i left and came back and a few are missing, i don't know if she ate them or if they are hiding. if she did eat them all do i need to keep feeding her or do i let her be since she is getting used to her new home?

2. can i use sticks and rocks i found from outside if i bleach them and rinse them off really well?

3. is a repti hammock ok to use for a basking area?

4. do i leave a prepared pellet diet in there with her as well as crickets?

Congrats on getting your new beardie. ;)

Many suffer from relocation stress and can take some days to adjust. Once they get used to their surroundings, they can eat anywhere from 30-100 bugs a day. ;) Get ready for having to buy more often. Offer appropriate size bugs (no bigger than the space between their eyes) 2-3x a day, as many as they will eat in a 5-10 minute time period.
2. You can use them as long as you clean them up first. (sterilizing). Soaking in bleach and hot water, then rinsing well helps.
3. Hammocks don't hold much heat. A baby beardie needs a basking spot of 105-110 degrees to help digest their food.
4. Many won't eat pelleted foods. They need and prefer live bugs. A variety of dark leafy greens and veggies should be offered daily and left in the viv.

PS Please do not leave any crickets in the viv overnight with the beardie. They do harrass them, and can leave nasty bites on the beardies. Maybe feeding in a seperate bin will be better.

Hope this helps!

Lcbova85

Original Poster
yes that helps. she ate all the crickets, should i go get her more or wait till later ( so she can get used to her home)

SuperMom30

Hatchling Member
:blob8: :blob5: Congrats on you new beardie :blob5: :blob8:

I have a big plastic tub I feed mine it cuts down crickets hiding...I had a basking log that you get in the pet shops and they would get in the woods little holes so you could not see them :banghead: But you can also pull your stuff out of the tank and drop them in...what also might help is keeping track of how many they eat. I keep a log on both of mine to see if there eating changes so if there is a problem I can catch it early.

I have some rocks I used from outside and washed them in hot water and also put them in the oven at 350 for 3 hours just to make sure everything was dead that could be on it.

Anywho I can't wait for you to post pic of your new baby! :blob5:

LJean

Extreme Poster
5. I would wait until the beardie is more comfortable with you and in his new surroundings before handling. ;) Putting your hand in the enclosure, without reaching for or touching the beardie helps. (though I would still wait a few days or so before you start that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom