hates water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2PA

Hello, My beardie seems to hate water. whenever I put legacy into the sink he runs at the side till he gets tired out, and seems to try to get out. I know it's not the temperature, because I keep it warm but not hot. don't most dragons enjoy the water?

drakedragon

Juvie Member
how long have you had it ? i have a baby beardie who does that sometimes. my first one did as well but she eventually got used to it

garrett15

Hatchling Member
Mine hates water to I got him two weeks ago and he still blows up like a balloon.I hope he gets used to it soon.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Not all beardies like water (most dont). i make mine take baths 2-3 times a week. They will thrash for a few mins and then calm down. Daisy now just kinda sits there and looks at me waiting to come out :p

carlisv

Hatchling Member
We've had our two beardies, Richard and Dubs, for almost three years now. Richard LOVES his bath, although he didn't start out that way. When he was younger he fussed a little when we first put him in the tub, but then he discovered swimming. Now he swims corner to corner in our tub like he's a great white shark. This summer I think I"ll get him a kiddie pool for the front yard so he can swim in circles and pretend to be a fierce predator. Dubs, on the other hand, still tries to climb out the whole time he's in there. We've even taught him a "trick" - once he's been in there long enough we put a towel over the edge and he leaps at it, desperately trying to escape the liquid torture. He then climbs up the towel and onto our laps to safety.

Whether they enjoy it or not, regular soaks are still a necessity to beardies, so just keep it up and hope your baby learns to embrace the bath!

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
Put a cloth on the bottom of the tub/sink or a small rock or piece of wood so he can prop his front legs on. This will still allow him to have his vent in the water but will give him the illusion of security which will relax him.

A2PA

Original Poster
My beardie will run on the side of the bowl shaped sink like a treadmill (great excesize!) and will climb up my hand if I put it infront of him

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from General to Behavior]

Some beardies will eventually get used to being in a bath, while some will only hate it more.
Try holding your beardie then slowly lower your hand into the water. It could be that he can't get a grip on the bottom of the sink, thus sending a fear of drowning over him. Some people place a wash cloth into the sink and it had helped their beardie overcome this fear.

jwideman

Hatchling Member
Get a container to bathe him in (a foot bath works great) and tilt up one side so that the water at one end is shallow enough for him to stand in. Put him in the shallow end and use your hand to scoop up water to pour over him. With any luck, he'll tolerate this and might even go into the deep end to swim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom