HATES ME!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
I have waited awhile to make this post in hope of change. Palmer has gotten terribly mean lately. It started about two months ago. I have done all the things I could think of to calm him. I tried handling more often, singing to him, give more baths. I thought it was maybe his age and he may outgrow it. He was about 5-6 months when it started. I believe those are considered the teen years. Am I right? With my thinking this I figured I would give some time and then post. Well it has been two months. Palmer is about 7-9 months and no change. In fact hes worse! It actually scares me to get him out. When we let him run around and he seems to love it but someone still has to be the brave soul to put him back. He snaps at us every time we try to handle him. Before anyone asks, My setup and temps are all the recommended. Is he still young and irritable? Do some not come out of this? I can't have five kids in my house to have him around. I love him but my feelings are even lessening as I am more scared the feeling happy to have him around. Irwin never once in six years acted this way?! Cooper is just like Irwin. He just chills and loves people. What are your thoughts?

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
maybe it's his personality.

how often is he being handled, and by who? is someone maybe being too rough with him? is he being handled too much?

Tasty Treat would be a bit feisty and nip at our finger tips. But it doesn't really hurt (7 months old) and we didn't stop handling her when she did that, or act scared. i think they can sense when you are afraid of them, which would cause them to act like they are the boss.

when does he usually act like that? is it during feeding times? is it whenever anyone approaches him? does he go after your finger when you point it at him? is he too low to the ground?

so many questions....last one: have you been hand feeding him?

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
It sounds like you've hit the teenager phase.
Every dragon goes through a period of rebellion - some more than others.
Don't worry - persist, use garden gloves if you have to, and have things YOUR way - not theirs. Beardies are smart and yours will soon get over himself and his act together :)

My Puff would go through crabby periods every once in awhile. He'd hang out for days with an angry look on his face. It was like his own little beardie PMS :banghead:

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
HERE GOES:
He was being handled daily until these temper tantrums started. Now every few days just for a bit. Mainly he is out long enough for me to clean the viv or give him a bath.

He has not been mishandled by any of the kids because I have always supervised them. however, He did not like his leash we tried quite a while ago. I wonder if this may be what started it the more I think about it. The kids won't go near him now :( , so I don't think that will ever be a problem.

How low is too low to the ground? He's about 3 feet off the ground I'd say but always has been?!

I tried to hand feed him a long time a go, but he wasn't interested at all. We haven't ever pointed our finger in there. Now I would be too scared!

If this is the teenage years how long do should I expect it to last? Thanks for the responses and questions! I want to know I'm doing all I should be

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
Irwinshealth":21xe351e said:
HERE GOES:
He was being handled daily until these temper tantrums started. Now every few days just for a bit. Mainly he is out long enough for me to clean the viv or give him a bath.

He has not been mishandled by any of the kids because I have always supervised them. however, He did not like his leash we tried quite a while ago. I wonder if this may be what started it the more I think about it. The kids won't go near him now :( , so I don't think that will ever be a problem.

How low is too low to the ground? He's about 3 feet off the ground I'd say but always has been?!

I tried to hand feed him a long time a go, but he wasn't interested at all. We haven't ever pointed our finger in there. Now I would be too scared!

If this is the teenage years how long do should I expect it to last? Thanks for the responses and questions! I want to know I'm doing all I should be

I used to have a crabby female. Honestly, she was that way from the very start when she was a baby. As she got older, putting forth the effort to bite seemed to not really be worth it for her, but she would always beard at me and hiss, etc. Sometimes she WOULD bite, but I didn't really care, and I handled her regardless of how she acted. That was just Gidgit, and her crabby attitude was kind of funny.

I'm not sure what to tell you, because he might grow out of it and he might not. I hope that he does, but if he doesn't - he won't kill anyone, he'll just be a grump. Grumpy dragons are kind of funny and cute in their own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom