hatchlings are sick and dying, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardielover01

I had my first clutch of babies hatch about 3 weeks ago. Most of them are doing great! Growing fast already in their first shed, active, alert and super cute!! But 3 of them were sick right out of the egg. They would not eat a thing, would not lap up the water I misted on them and evenutally died at about 2 weeks old :( I felt horrible but was told some of them just arent as healthy when they are born and dont make it. Ok, but there is one more little guy who is is healthier than those 3 but showing the same signs. He is very clumsy, like they are when they first hatch. He tries to walk around and chase his crickets a bit maybe eating a couple in the morning but that is about it. He sleeps pretty much all day long maybe walking only a little bit. He sometimes switches from basking to the cool side but is not normaly active like the others and is not growing and starting to get skinnier. He does lap up the water when I mist him though and ive seen him eat a couple crickets so I have hope for this guy and need some help. His stool is runny like he has parasites but none of the others show any signs of parasites and the three who died didnt eat anything. Should I take him to the vet for a fecal or does this sound like something else? Please help! I want to save him but the vet is expensive and want some advice first. Anybody have an idea of what is wrong with this little one? The husbandry and lighting is correct so I know that is not the issue just fyi, this is something that was wrong right out of the egg.

Thank you!!

Vacren

Juvie Member
I know you may feel that your husbandry is correct, but this sounds a lot like an environmental issue.

Can you walk us through your lighting, substrate, and how many babes you've got per bin?

Depending on the incubation conditions, it could also be that they developed too fast. How long were they incubated? What was the temp range? Any issues during incubation?

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I had a baby that was doing the same thing and I didn't think he was going to make it.. I started giving him 3 drops a day of liquid calcium, and syringe fed him cricitical care for 5 days 2 x a day. He is so much better, eats on his own now.. So I suggest getting some liquid calcium and critical care for him..

Here is what he was like when he was sick.. He had head shakes, couldn't walk straight, was flipping over on his back, and would drag his head when he walked:
baby1.jpg

baby2.jpg

baby3.jpg

And this is him 2 weeks later after treatment:
baby5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom