Hasn't pooped in 2 weeks or more

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpstateNYPets

Hatchling Member
What can I do? My beardie hasn't pooped in 2 weeks maybe more. I give him baths everyday, his temps are around 98-102F with a cool side around 80-85F, newspaper for substrate, greens most of the week with supers every couple days dusted with calcium and vitamins. He's 3 years old (almost), I use a T-Rex Active UV 160w, he's in a 40gal Breeder tank (the light is more than the recomended distance away)....I've felt his belly for a hard mass, but nothing, just the normal insides. I just don't know what's wrong. I mean he HAS to have needed to go poop by now!

Any suggestions?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
Has he been brumating at all?

Dont rule out impaction just because you cant feel any lumps, they can be very hard to feel. My latest rescue dragon was incredibly impacted when I brought him home and I couldnt feel a thing in his belly.
Supers do have a tough shell and it could be that having eaten them for so long he's got a little backed up. I would hold off on the supers until you get something out from him.
Baths are great, you can also try massaging his right side from armpit to vent in the tub. After a few days and massages you may start to see results.

You can also offer him canned pumpkin and unsweetened applesauce to help get things moving.
You can also give him one or two drops of olive oil.

Oil and bath massages really helped to get my boy cleared out.
It may take a couple of days to see results but Im sure you will.

Holly

UpstateNYPets

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. The last couple days I haven't been offering his Supers so I think I'm going to wait a while. He hasn't wanted any other feeder since I tried them a while back. No more crickets, he's only interested in worms. He does get a good variety of greens and fruits too, so good thing he accepts them. I don't have any olive oil, but with regular veg. oil work? As for applesauce, I do have some but it's not organic and it's sweetened. Does it matter? He's done this before, but it was never this long, it was like 6 days with no pooping before. I feel like I"m doing something wrong, but everything I can think of is good. I give him baths and massage his belly with my fingers everytime. He even gets light scrubs with a soft bristle toothbrush too, he loves it. If I can use the storebought applesauce and/or veg. oil, I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
Nope it has to be unsweetened apple sauce. You dont want to be giving your beardie anything with "added" anything. Try the babyfood section. Theres always some there.
Ive not actually heard anything about vegitable oil so I cant recommend it myself. Ive heard of people using mineral oil though.

Holly

UpstateNYPets

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks again. Oh and no, I dont believe he's been brumating. He's awake all day and moves around like usual, but the last few days without pooping he's been acting more sleepy and lazy. I have to move him under his basking light to warm up.

I recently switched from using a repti-sun 10 and a basking light to using a T-Rex Active UV. Do you think this might be something that is effecting him? He is in a 40 gallon breeder tank and the new T-Rex bulb is a 160w about 20 inches away from his basking spot. The probe for the thermometer lays directly under the light, where his belly will lay and fluxuates from about 98-103F. Could it possibly be the light that is changing him?

I think a vet trip might be in order. Do you have any idea how much it will be to get him a check up to see what's wrong? Money is really tight right now, but I really dont want to lose him! If he hasn't poo'd in over 2 weeks, there has to be something inside him that's just not right.

I'm so worried :(

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
In thye mean time definately give him some oive oil. this will help lube up his insides. Also I have heard that pumpkin can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom