Has not gone bathroon in 2 weeks /help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobbikus

Sorry for the blunt title but its the truth
Hello My sons beardie has not pooped in over two weeks. It is almost 1 year old. basking side is 95F . We use to feed him Juvenile bearded dragon food he no longer eats it, stopped eating it about two weeks ago. He will eat Romaine heart lettuce, crickets dusted with calcium powder and meal worms every other day( only 2) No tall at once. He doesn't really move that much any more , just sits in one spot with the UVB light is. Please help not sure what to do

Thank you

dobbikus

Original Poster
ila light fixture and the substrate is the reptile carpet also I only bathed him once in warm water

jsnsan

Juvie Member
A Zilla fixture? What type of lamp is in it? Try letting him soak in some warm water for 15-20 minutes. Do you have a water dish in the tank? Does he drink from it?

You should put him in warm water and rub his belly for 20-30 min and that might help him poop :D some one else might can give you a better explanation than mine hope that I can help :D .

dobbikus

Original Poster
I will try bathing him again in warm water again. He does have a water dish and in the year we have had him I have never seen him drink from it
The light fixture is one the can be mounted under a cabinet. I am sorry wish I had more information for u

dobbikus

Original Poster
He is no longer eating lettuce only going for crickets. Not sure if I should take him to a vet or not
any advice would greatly be appreciated

kFitz

Hatchling Member
get him off of the lettuce. it has no nutritional value which could account for the lethargy. Give him collard greens, kale, dandelion greens, mustard greens, even hibiscus flowers if they are pesticide free. As for the pooping, give him a nice long soak in warm water. that usually gets them going.

dobbikus

Original Poster
kFitz":1irvlq1z said:
get him off of the lettuce. it has no nutritional value which could account for the lethargy. Give him collard greens, kale, dandelion greens, mustard greens, even hibiscus flowers if they are pesticide free. As for the pooping, give him a nice long soak in warm water. that usually gets them going.

Thank you very much I will try this. My son is a little upset and worried as am I. Should I feed him collard green one day and mustard greens another, or mix them all up?

kFitz

Hatchling Member
You can do either. I mix them together. When I buy it, I spend the time to rinse them, chop/tear them up, spin it down in one of those salad spinners to get the extra water off and store it in tupperware with paper towels on the top and bottom in the fridge. It takes a bit of time then, but after that, the feeding is easy until you run out - just grab a handful from the tub and put it into the tank.

Go to http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html, they have a list of what to be feeding your bearded and it's color coded for how often you should be feeding it.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, sorry to hear that he hasn't cleaned himself out for that long, that isn't good. I noticed that you said that the basking side is 95 degrees, is that the basking SURFACE temp or are you using thermometer stuck to the glass?

Very few beardies drink from standing water dishes so it's a good idea to give frequent baths to help him poop and also offer oral fluids. Something else you can do is pick up a jar of baby food applesauce, heat some in the microwave so that it is quite warm but not hot and put drops on his nose with a plastic medicine dropper for him to lick off. Also, 100% canned pumpkin helps. I would stay away from the mealworms as they are an impaction risk. Feeding him greens from the beautifuldragons site will help hydrate him too.

Would you be able to look at the side of the UVB bulb and tell us what brand & what the UV output is, like 2.0, 5.0, 8.0 or 10.0? Also how old is the bulb?

dobbikus

Original Poster
Hello everyone I want to say thank you for all the advice that was given. My sons dragon finally went and is doing better since I changed his diet and changed the bulb. I found out that the bulb we had was just a florescent bulb. He now has a UVB bulb 10.0.. Been giving him warm baths as well. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge with me and helping.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, that's good that he is doing better. Just to make sure that everything is perfect for him to help him totally recover, could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using and where exactly you're taking the temps? Also, what is the brand & type of UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom