Has anyone else's dragon done this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! My sweet little Rex is starting to get me worried...I've had him since April and luckily he has always been very healthy, but unfortunately about 10 days ago he abruptly stopped eating. He'll eat a cricket or silkworm here and there, but for the most part he's not interested, which is very unusual because he normally loves to eat. He doesn't look sick, but I've also noticed he's had a couple days where he spends quite a bit of time sleeping on the cool side of his tank, which again is very unusual as he's never really slept during the day before. Could this be some form of brumation? I'm hoping it's something like that, but he's only about ten months old and I hear that's pretty young to start brumating. If anyone else has been through this with their dragon and can help me out, or if you have any advice for me I would be very grateful! I love my little dragon (as I'm sure you can all understand :D ) and really want him to be okay. Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, with Rex being 10 months old, it is a possibility of him trying to brumate slightly. It does happen. Have you had a fecal done on him to make sure he doesn't have parasites?
What about your UVB light, how old is it?
His behavior does sound like brumation though, not really interested in food, & not wanting to bask much, either. They are not fooled by the weather, & they sense shorter days, too.
Maybe get a fecal done on him, & if he is of good weight, & doesn't have high levels of parasites, then he should be ok to brumate for awhile. He probably wont do an allout brumation though, just a partial.

Tracie

moonshadow116

Original Poster
Hi Tracie, thanks for your response! I haven't ever had a fecal done on Rex, mainly because he's always been healthy with a great appetite and regular poops, and also because I don't have a lot of extra money. Of course if he ever needed a vet's attention I would definitely find a way to bring him in. His light is a T-Rex MVB (I don't remember the wattage), and it is about 8-9 months old now. I also have a Reptisun 10.0 as a backup, I haven't used it yet and was considering giving that a try in case it's his bulb getting old that's the problem. His temps are 107 on the hot side, 80 on the cool side measured with a digital thermometer with a probe...nothing about his tank environment has changed recently. He doesn't appear to be losing weight (yet) but I'm still worried about the little guy! You seem to know so much about dragons, if you recommend taking him for a fecal I will definitely consider getting that done. Thanks for your time!

I'm totally new to all this, buuut I'd suggest a fecal.

I got Esbi a month ago. She ate, and stopped being lethargic once I added things to her viv, and changed her UVB. I've heard they need to be replaced every 6 months to put out the full spectrum Beardies need.
Anyway. Things were good, and then she started seeming more and more tired, and stopped eating. I was thinking brumation, but wanted to be safe. Got a fecal, and, SURPRISE. Parasites. She's on pills now (I crush them, mix them with a blob of applesauce, and let her lick it off my finger).

moonshadow116

Original Poster
Esbi is so cute! How old is she? The way you described her pretty much sounds like Rex, the tiredness and not wanting food...I'll probably take him in. Hope Esbi starts feeling better!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, if he is not losing any weight then you don't have to take him in for a fecal. If he was losing weight I would say definitely get a fecal done.
The T-rex should be good for around 1 year but if you want to put in the Reptisun 10 to see if it makes any difference in his behavior.
Has he come out any today?
It is hard not to be concerned about them, they are our babies! :mrgreen:

Tracie

Thanks! She's a year, I think. Was a Christmas gift in her old family last year, so I think she hatched last December.
I didn't mention-- She lost weight. Dropped 25 grams.
She's doing better now, though. Getting her apatite back, for her salad.
Hope you get what the issue is worked out. It would be awesome if it was the light.

moonshadow116

Original Poster
He will come out sometimes, on Monday he basked all day and I managed to get him to eat about 15 crickets. Then yesterday he wouldn't eat at all and he ended up falling asleep on the cool side of his tank at about 1 p.m. and he's still there now 24 hours later, sleeping off and on. I'm thinking about moving him to his basking spot and seeing if he'll stay there, but am not sure I should disturb him. I'm so worried about him, I hate to think of what I'll be like as a parent lol probably a nervous wreck!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I know it is so frustrating, but nature takes over & there is not a whole lot we can do about it when they bask only half of the time when semi brumating.
Are you going to get a fecal you think?
His beard is normal colored, right?

Tracie

moonshadow116

Original Poster
I'm planning on monitoring his weight, and if he starts to lose a significant amount I will most definitely bring him in. I feel a little better today because I managed to get him to eat around 15-20 crickets and a little bit of kale. Not his normal amount by a long shot but at least its something! His beard is the same color as always, I actually have never seen the famous black beard from him yet :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope your boy is doing well. Good that he ate some crickets for you.
So he has not shown you his black beard huh? Oh one day I am sure you will see it! :D
Let me know if you need anything.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom