Handling my Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

cob36440

So.... I've had my guy/girl for around 2 weeks. He's doing really well and really seems to likew his inclousure. The problem is when I try to hold him. He goes crazy..He runs around like a nut!. Sometimes I just leave him alone in order for him not to get too stressed out. Other times I wil hold him over his enclousure (just in caase he escapes my hands). I was just wondering, how long will this continue?

Thanks,
Brian

AussieOutlaw

Hatchling Member
well if you keep letting him get away your beardie will never learn.
Ive had Thor for 2 weeks now at first he just bolted from me any chance he got now if i go near him he just stays there and doesn't mind(most of the time).hopefully in a few more weeks Thor will be comfortable enough to just jump on my hand but until then ill just keep persisting and you should do the same never take *crazy lizard coming through* for an answer.
good luck.

p3ppit

Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe a reptile will ever become "tame". They can "learn" to accept being handled from time to time, but it's not a pet in my humble opinion - a P. vitticeps - just like any other reptile, amphibian and so on - is a hobby-animal. Excessive handling leads to stress; e.g. taking him out of his normal environment (the enclosure) every day. If you've only had him 2 weeks he's nowhere near to being settled 100 % yet. But yep if he can get away, he will. I'd handle him a bit in the enclosure, and when on occasion taking him out of the enclosure doing so with a pretty firm grip.

I would also try handfeeding him his favorite snacks in the enclosure. This way he will learn to "link you mentally" to a feeding dispenser so to speak.

I personally only handle my reptiles, when cleaning out the enclosure, taking them for a check-up at the vet and when giving them an oppurtunity to drink from my hand at the sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom