"HANDI-CAPABLE BELLA, PLUS OLLIE+ PYREX!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Hello everyone,

I am about to go pick up a beardie that has a triple foot/leg and partial tail amputee, I will explain in detail when I return home and things are settled, hopefully tonight.............Please pray/think of me............. as I hope I'll be able to help him/her in having a full and happy life. I can't believe I'm doing this..........I already have 2 special need boys, but as folks have said "I betcha can't eat just one", (putting beardies in relation to pringles) :D

Will keep you posted,
Christine

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I know you'll be able to help this poor little one. After all, Jason's LG doesn't have any limbs at all, and I think it's safe to say that he has a very good life! :D I'm so glad you're going to get this poor dragon. He doesn't know it, but his life is about to get really good!

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Go, Christine! I know you'll keep us posted as we wait here for the first photos and the story of your new baby! Good thoughts go with you!

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hi folks,

Thank-you everyone, for your well wishes, it's taken me this long to settle down with all the cleaning, etc....................... BUT NOW SHE'S HOME!!!!!! :blob5: :blob8:

Let me start from the beginning..........

I've always wanted to have a little girl, but I'm moving to the west coast when my house sells, so this is not the best time to get a new beardie, of course, it doesn't stop me from looking on line...and dreaming of that day. :wink:

Well, on craig's list someone posted a 2 yr old "handicapped" girl......... aggressive (I feel this will leave her with proper lighting and food)............. so not a good pet for children, and would be asking for a rehoming fee.

Long story short.......the lister couldn't take care of her........... he was interested in other pets and was moving on, and when I saw a picture of her, I knew she was suppose to be mine. Many people called for her, and he said that if I came down to pick her up, he would not charge me for her. Sooooooooo...........off I went, with much anticipation and knowing it was going to be a long day trip.

When I saw her, she was in a dirty viv, sand substrate, urate smelling drift wood, and she was very small with poop smears on her. She had a household light bulb only......... with a black light for night time......... no food or vitamins on hand.......... with everything in much need of a good cleaning. In the owners defense......... he said he wanted her to go to a good home............. so someone could take care of her. When I saw her.......... I instantly fell in love.

I brought her some butterworms, to see if she would eat them in her enviroment before I scooped her up to take her away d/t the possibility that she'd have relocation stress and not eat. She goobled them up..........I was so happy!

When I picked her up, she was very tense, bearding without darkening, and trying to bite me x2........ but I was persistent, and rubbed the top of her head, so she settled down quickly. So tiny........I asked the owner, are you sure she's 2 yr's old? He said yes, and told me how she lost her feet, etc. Apparently she was a runt, and the other babies attacked her leaving her with her right front foot missing at the ankle, back left missing from the ankle down, back right missing right below the knee down, and half her tail. She has the front left limb completely, but the fingers are crooked, the limbs are very skinny, and mushy/soft, significant of MBD, also her jaw is a little off alignment, another sign of MBD too.

I wrapped her snuggly in a soft towel, and she went home on my friends chest, cozy and sleeping. I brought hand warmers with me so they were within the towel......... she was toasty warm and appeared very content. It was a long day, and the only time she moved, was when she did a poop........ much to my delight........... because of the sand substrate housing. I had brought another towel, just in case that happened.

I had another viv set-up at home for a holding tank so that I could clean the one he gave me, but we were all too tired to start that project when we finally got home, so today was the cleaning/bathing/decorating day.

I have named her "BELLA"...............for she is truely "beautiful".......... she has some orange/red on her face/beard and back, not too much, just enough. Her eyes are the perfect color with the golden color outlining the dark iris, she has a short nose, 9" long, from nose to tail end, and weighs 140 gm. She looks like a baby not a 2 yr. old.

When she woke up in the AM, she had a nice salad then I gave her some phoenix worms......... she's very alert and study's everything, including me. She pooped again, which was wonderful, formed but smelly, so I'll be testing her soon for parasites. Bath time was cute, I held her and took a soft toothbrush and removed the dried poop from her........ I think she thought she died and went to heaven.

I am using what I have........... I have cleaned and baked her things, I couldn't salvage one piece of driftwood, because the urate smell wouldn't come out.
I have a very low hammock for her, a hide, and a low log......... she manages well with walking........ but woobles d/t the MBD and her legs being unevenly amputated.

Here is the bad news..............I have a digital camera and a cell phone camera and I don't know how to post on the computer. I have pictures of Ollie and Pyrex in my e-mail pictures section, that I wanted to submit for the calendar.... along with Bella now, but I don't know how to move it from there to here. I need a one on one talk through instruction guide, but I've been so busy for that.......... in the mean time, I'll keep you posted, if folks are interested.

All I can say is............ she is precious, and I love her........... plus I want to give her the best home that she deserves, especially with her past.

Thanks for all your interest, sorry for the long winded detail, your support has always been appreciated.

Bug and wishes to you and yours,
Christine

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Wow this is amazing! Im so happy that this beardie will have a second chance at life!

A great way to post pictures is Photobucket.com all you have to do is sign up for it. Its free!
1)upload the photos by clicking "browse" (make sure your photos are saved to a place that is easy for you to remmber where they are)
2)copy the link they give you called "direct link" which is located under the photo
3)paste that link in between these (located above the text box)
b]linkhere[b]

then you can click "preview" on here to see if it worked

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks So much for rescuing this beardie, you are a great person. She will be so much happier in your care and with all the TLC you give her. :love5: This will also help with posting pics, so let's see her. :blob8: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37103&start=0

atreyu917

Juvie Member
Wow she is lucky. I'm so excited for miss Bella. There has always been a soft spot in my heart for handicapped animals...

puffmum

What a lucky girl to have found you! I really can't wait to see pictures. That is so wonderful of you to take her in and give her the home and love that she deserves. :blob5: :blob8:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Bless Your Heart Christine!
I think that for some of us there is something about having to give special care to a special needs beardie that we find just as addictive as beardie's themselves. You can feel the love an appreciation in a deeper/or should I say different way. The need to be needed.
Might even have something to do with the challenge. :wink: :dontknow:

Again Bless You!

Let me Say, "Congratulations to Both of You!" :love5:

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
:love5: :love5: :love5: Welcome home, Bella!!!!! :love5: :love5: :love5:

Well done, Christine! :notworthy: It is always wonderful to see a neglected beardie find their true home, and I'm sure this really is heaven for her, after what she has been through. I love it when you know the connection is just meant to be. :laughing6:

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hi everyone,

Elora........Thank-you for the info regarding the photo bucket, I havn't had time to review it today, but I hope to soon. :(

diamc.......Thank-you also, for the thread regarding pictures, I so want to learn to do this, when time allows.

autrey917...........I really do have a soft spot for handicapped, etc., Although I didn't plan on any of my beardies to have special needs, it just worked out this way.....do you think its the nurse coming out in me. :wink:

puffmum...............Thanks for all the encouragement........ wow..........it sounds like you have a full family as well when I looked at your signature. :shock: :wink:

Ethelia.................yes, I'm glad we found each other too, I do feel things happen for a reason, hopefully we are a good match!

fresnowitte..............Barbara, thank-you for your PM and encouragement, and I agree, there is really is a soft spot in me for a special needs beardie, I truly didn't plan on any of this, but I think a higher power had something else in mind. :wink

lizardgirl................Bella and I have already made a connection, she is not quite as jumpy when I put my hand in to get her, hasn't tried to bite me today either, all of which is a good sign, she's in a homemade pouch on me now as we speak. :D

So, this has been a great day........... busy though............... Ollie, Pyrex and Bella had a great big poop which makes for a little more work, and having one more beardie makes chores longer......... no complaints here............ only that I don't have a chance to digest the picture info, but please be patient with me, I am one step from being computer illiterate, which makes it frustrating.

Bella ate a big salad, and butterworms, she may have had a few pellets too, but the pellets are only in there to see if there is any interest. She comes over to the tank to look at me when I sit (for a moment) and is very inquisitive. It's so nice to see her alert and exploring, I don't see any relocation stress. I've taken many pictures, in hopes to post them someday, so keep your fingers crossed.

Again,thank-you everyone,
Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom