Had a huge scare yesterday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chompster

So yesterday I had my first real scare with my beardies.

I was feeding my new baby a piece of a raspberry (not sure how old he is, maybe 4 months?) and he grabbed a piece that was apparently too big for him. I really didn't think it was too big for him, I am always super paranoid about what I feed my boys, but he tried to gulp it down and it wouldn't go down at all. Instantly I started to panic, he was flexing his beard and almost gasping for air. I couldn't pry his mouth open and he's pretty tiny so I was terrified of hurting him! We tried massaging his beard gently but I was just super afraid of making it worse. I was so panicked and sure he was going to die and it was difficult to stay calm. At first it seemed like he was going limp and his eyes were rolling back in his head, and we instantly got into the car and headed to the emergency vet. Once in the car he seemed a lot more alert but his breathing was staggered and his beard was puffed out, though he looked calmer. About halfway to the vet he swallowed the whole thing, started breathing normally and snuggling up to me again.

I feel so horrible over this whole incident. I'm a bit of a "helicopter mom" when it comes to my boys, always obsessing over everything they do and how they are feeling, so I feel stupid for making such a mistake and feel like I was so close to losing my baby (even if he's fine now).

He eats roaches the same size as the piece of fruit I gave him, but I noticed he didn't try to chew up the raspberry. Is this normal? What if this happens again? I did note that some people said on the forum to try to use something like a rubber spatula or a credit card to pry their mouths open if something is stuck. I also noticed during this whole scare that his colors were SUPER bright also.

I mostly just needed to rant, because I'm feeling so awful and guilty still. Thanks!

Here's a pic of baby Sobek (aka Sobie). He's grown a bit since this photo but still looks relatively the same.

10486303_10152206128136286_4607240965985113109_n.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I'm sure that was terrifying for you to witness ! I will say that it is probably just as unlikely to happen again as with a human being. We may all know of someone who accidentally choked , but it's certainly not common enough that we would worry all the time. Even so, just be sure the food items are a bit smaller than what he choked on....it's probably not likely to happen again. One more thought, it may be easier to choke on something that has alot of juice, so careful of those types of food items. Glad he's O.K. :)

Chompster

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the responses! He is definitely fine now, and I will never make that mistake again!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom