Habitrail for Beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I'm 99.44% sure I know the answer to this, but DW asks if anyone has ever used some kind of habitrail-like tunnel system for a beardie?

After I composed myself ( :laughhard: ), I explained that while BDs are fossorial, they are not (AFAIK) big tunnelers. Besides, what would one do if a BD got stuck in the middle of a tube (let alone made a stinkie)? :shock:

Thought I'd ask, anyway. Either I'll learn something, or maybe just engender chuckles/smiles... :D

It does make for an amusing visual, though... Beardie scampering through a labyrinth of clear plastic tubes... :roll: :lol:

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Wondered the same thing myself. I build a pseudo tunnel along the backside of my girl's enclosure. One of those half log hides under a longer real log creates a shadey area/hide/run-through space

I didn't want the tunnel too long, because dragons tend to go to sleep in the dark :roll:

Some wide elbow or short straight plumbing pipes may be good for enrichment. Add some fast insects like crickets or red runners and that could be a show. Beardie zooming through pipes for bugs

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
DorgEndo":1jla6dad said:
Some wide elbow or short straight plumbing pipes may be good for enrichment.
I think DW was envisioning clear acrylic/plastic like a regular habitrail, so she could watch the fun. That might dissuade falling asleep.
What am I SAYING :shock: I already spent $30 on a cork round that I haven't put in there 'cuz it occurred to me he might soil it, and that $30 is down the tubes (no pun intended). :p

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Guess if you really must make a tunnel system , make it from very short lengths of PVC that are not glued together , this way you partly disassemble to either rescue stuck reptile or remove and clean up stinky.

Avoiding the dragon being stick is easy - make sure the ID of the tubing is wide enough for the dragon to turn around inside it - problem solved.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":35bo8cob said:
Guess if you really much make a tunnel system , make it from very short lengths of PVC that are not glued together , this way you partly disassemble to either rescue stuck reptile or remove and clean up stinky.
I have no such desire/ambition. For me, this has just been a mindfart spawned of DW's question and the resulting discussion... :lol:

Avoiding the dragon being stick is easy - make sure the ID of the tubing is wide enough for the dragon to turn around inside it - problem solved.
12" (305mm) Dia. ought to do the trick, ya think? :lol:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":11gz7mpa said:
kingofnobbys":11gz7mpa said:
Guess if you really much make a tunnel system , make it from very short lengths of PVC that are not glued together , this way you partly disassemble to either rescue stuck reptile or remove and clean up stinky.
I have no such desire/ambition. For me, this has just been a mindfart spawned of DW's question and the resulting discussion... :lol:

12" ought to work. ? Got an 8x10 room you don't need? Could make a heck of a beardie amusement park. ?
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Where can I donate for this fund to turn spectrums house into a hamster cage for beardies.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":tld5adr0 said:
Where can I donate for this fund to turn spectrums house into a hamster cage for beardies.
? It won't happen, but you're welcome to donate! :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Alright, a dozen 10' long 12" diameter pvc pipes are en route ;)

Oh sorry I didnt mean monetary donations hahaha.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3i4rvbmf said:
Alright, a dozen 10' long 12" diameter pvc pipes are en route ;)

Oh sorry I didnt mean monetary donations hahaha.

-Brandon

That's OK. DW has an eBay acct. A dozen 10' long 12" diameter pvc pipes... good as ca$h!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MrSpectrum":3mztxk2u said:
kingofnobbys":3mztxk2u said:

What ever the ID of the largest size in HUBBAHUTS is ( mine jumbos are have an ID of about 8" ).
No reason why these "tunnels" need to be round, rectangular would work and take up less volume I'd think.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Don't they make habitrails for ferrets? I would think those might be the right size, as long as there arent places the beardie's toes might get caught. IF anyone decided they actually wanted to try this idea out and wanted the translucent plastic. :-D

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":p2tl4xji said:
No reason why these "tunnels" need to be round, rectangular would work and take up less volume I'd think.
Except that Habitrails are round, and that was part of the point--watching a beardie scamper through a big slippery plastic tube. :lol:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
JumpinJellyfish":msarfbrd said:
Don't they make habitrails for ferrets?
I don't really know... hold da phone... OK, not that I can find. I did find flexible tunnels like those used in dog agility (only smaller) and this but it doesn't specify the diameter--only the length. And if you can't see your beardie scampering through it... I'm not sure it would be as satisfying (not for me, anyway :roll: ).

Clear PVC pipe & fittings are made, and apparently, it can be gotten in 12" dia. Two 5' lengths for $1,284.89 :laughhard:

Brandon, still awaiting your check or pipe donation! :laughing6:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom